GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Oil filter preference: Toyota or aftermarket? (m)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-06, 05:36 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter preference: Toyota or aftermarket? (m)

Curious- what do people here prefer- Toyota/Lexus oil filters, which are pretty cheap ($4 or so on line) or aftermarket like Fram, which go for around $8-$9 or so. Like many (most?? all??) here I am more interested in quality vs. saving $4 for a filter. For what its worth, I'll be changing the oil/filter and using Mobil 1 synthetic when my GX hits 2500 miles and every 5K thereafter.

Last edited by JWS3; 05-09-06 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-08-06, 05:40 PM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

defintely go with the original,,, cause they flow better,,,,, dont go with fram or the cheap ones,,, i know k&n and mobile ones may be pretty good,,, but i still stick with toyota...
Old 05-08-06, 05:48 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JWS3
Curious- what do people here prefer- Toyota/Lexus oil filters, which are pretty cheap ($4 or so on line) of aftermarket like Fram, which go for around $8-$9 or so. Like many (most?? all??) here I am more interested in quality vs. saving $4 for a filter. For what its worth, I'll be changing the oil/filter and using Mobil 1 synthetic when my GX hits 2500 miles and will do it every 5K thereafter.
well in my opinion i think toyota/lexus filters are good enough.. oil wise... i use penzoil high milage synthetic since last 3 services.. and i feel engine responce is better.
Old 05-08-06, 06:16 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

The Toyota OEM filter is good as is the Mobil 1 and the K&N, I don't think you can go wrong as long as you use 1 of those three. Personally, I have been using the K&N for several years and given the awkward position of the oil filter in my RX, it is much easier to put on and take off with the nut on top. I actually think I got much better flow than the OEM filter after I changed.
Old 05-08-06, 06:28 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Default MOBIL 1 and the OEM filter...

Have used the combo on BMWs and supercharged 4Runners - -ran flawlessly well through 80k+ so should be the way to go for the GX470s....the V8 deserves it!!!

I was surprised when the dealer also mentioned Mobil 1for next oil change......said just bring your Mobil 1 and we use it instead of the their regular oil (...they normally use a cheap $1-2/quart mineral oil...not full synthetic like Mobil 1)
Old 05-08-06, 07:51 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An OEM Toyota/Lexus filter and Mobil 1 synthetic are a match made in heaven. Don't bother with Fram. If it's good enough for Jiffy Lube then it darn well isn't good enough for a Lexus.

Scott
Old 05-09-06, 06:06 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Purolator Plus is a great filter!

CV
Old 05-09-06, 09:34 AM
rklages
Pole Position

I am using a Toyota filter and Mobil1 - just changed to it at 5000 miles. The toyota filter seems pretty decent (I will cut it open and see when I change it again). Fram's are about as cheap as they get and you can tell when you open one up and look at it on the inside.

I also don't agree with the Purolator post, they are also cheap filters, if you want to spend money on something better than the toyota, buy a Bosch or Mobile1 filter - cut them in half and compare them to the cheap stuff if you want to be sure - it is easy to tell the difference when you open them up, they all look about the same on the outside though!

At least the toyota filter comes sealed in plastic instead of just in a loose box exposed to dirt etc, and they usually throw in the drain plug washer for the 4 bucks also!
Old 05-10-06, 04:54 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rklages
I am using a Toyota filter and Mobil1 - just changed to it at 5000 miles. The toyota filter seems pretty decent (I will cut it open and see when I change it again). Fram's are about as cheap as they get and you can tell when you open one up and look at it on the inside.

I also don't agree with the Purolator post, they are also cheap filters, if you want to spend money on something better than the toyota, buy a Bosch or Mobile1 filter - cut them in half and compare them to the cheap stuff if you want to be sure - it is easy to tell the difference when you open them up, they all look about the same on the outside though!

At least the toyota filter comes sealed in plastic instead of just in a loose box exposed to dirt etc, and they usually throw in the drain plug washer for the 4 bucks also!
I actually read something on-line bobtheoilguy.com about the purolator filter and I believe that it got a great review.

CV
Old 05-10-06, 03:59 PM
rklages
Pole Position

I stand corrected, I haven't used one in years and I searched around and it looks like they are making a pretty good filter these days - better than what I saw last time I cut one open. Looks like the opinions are stil the same on the FRAM though, basically don't buy it.

Rob
Old 05-11-06, 06:28 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rklages
I stand corrected, I haven't used one in years and I searched around and it looks like they are making a pretty good filter these days - better than what I saw last time I cut one open. Looks like the opinions are stil the same on the FRAM though, basically don't buy it.

Rob
I assume you are speaking of the purolator filter?

CV