GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Headlight Assembly Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 06:32 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlight Assembly Removal

Has anyone taken out the whole headlight assembly ?? I need to take mine out on the passenger side. I can only find one top screw and a couple of points where the assembly snaps into, but can't find any other screws. Therefore, the assembly does not come out.

Any help will be greatly appreciated......

~ Cap
Old 05-04-06, 06:53 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No, but perhaps the TIS website might help (m)

I think its $10 per day of access.
What happened to your light, btw??
Old 05-04-06, 07:52 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Headlight Assembly Removal

Originally Posted by JWS3

What happened to your light, btw??
I'm embarrassed to say. I was replacing the 1156 Turn Signal Light Bulb with a LED bulb. I managed to find the bulb, twisted out the bulb holder, removed the original bulb and replaced it with the LED bulb.

I then tried to replace the bulb holder in the assembly, by turning the holder. However, the bulb came off the holder and eventually fell into the headlamp assembly.

Now, my only recourse is to remove the Headlamp Assembly. However, as I mentioned before, I can't figure out what is holding it in place.

~ Cap
Old 05-04-06, 08:25 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Can you use a vacuum to pull it up or, maybe (m)

some really sticky tape on the end of a curved rod/stick? There has to be an easier way!

If it has a metal end, what about a mechanic's flexible magnetic "get the dropped part" tool?

Good luck- sounds frustrating from here, 3000 miles away......

Jim
Old 05-04-06, 08:52 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Vacuum

some really sticky tape on the end of a curved rod/stick? There has to be an easier way!

If it has a metal end, what about a mechanic's flexible magnetic "get the dropped part" tool?

Good luck- sounds frustrating from here, 3000 miles away......

Jim
Hi Jim.....

At one point a Vacuum would have worked, but too late now.

I have learned where the locations of the screws are. Tomorrow, I will give it a try.

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Headlight Assembly Removal-three-screws.gif  
Old 05-05-06, 04:41 AM
darrellk
Rookie

Cap, where did you find these drawings? I need to find out how to access the turn signal flasher. I found out where the flasher is from the dealer( behind the small fuse panel near the drivers left knee ) but I have no idea how to get to it. When you replaced the turn signal bulbs with LEDs, what did you do about the flasher? I understand that you have to replace the OEM flasher with one that is rated for LEDs. I think I found such a flasher, but I need to look at the origional to check pinout. I made a judgment decision and ordered the replacement flasher anyway. ( $ 12.95 )

Regards
Darrell

Last edited by darrellk; 05-05-06 at 05:24 AM.
Old 05-05-06, 06:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If you have the bulb on tight, it should never fall off when you twist the connector on and off. What brand of LED bulbs are you using? That’s one of the problem with after market bulbs, some fits better than other. Even the PIAA LED wedge bulbs I installed didn’t fit as nice as the factory ones. If that bulb falls off by just twisting the connector on or off, it will never survive everyday driving conditions.
Old 05-05-06, 06:16 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Mission Accomplished

Originally Posted by The G Man

If you have the bulb on tight, it should never fall off when you twist the connector on and off. What brand of LED bulbs are you using? That’s one of the problem with after market bulbs, some fits better than other. Even the PIAA LED wedge bulbs I installed didn’t fit as nice as the factory ones. If that bulb falls off by just twisting the connector on or off, it will never survive everyday driving conditions.
Found all three screws that holds the light assembly, removed them all, then attempted to remove the assembly. No luck, looked like I would have to remove the front bumper, so I opted to try to fish the bulb out of the assembly.

After much frustration, I was able to remove the bulb and re-install. Also replaced the one on the driver's side. Got to that one from underneath.

Didn't have to install a resistor due to the fact that I have two bulbs in the rear instead of one. I am using Prado Tail Lights.

Don't know the brand of the LEDs. Also replaced the 7443 Tail Lights. Both the Amber and the Red LEDs are brighter than the originals.

~ Cap

Last edited by Capirato; 05-05-06 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-05-06, 06:25 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default So- How did you get it out?

Originally Posted by Capirato
Found all three screws that holds the light assembly, removed them all, then attempted to remove the assembly. No luck, looked like I would have to remove the front bumper, so I opted to try to fish the bulb out of the assembly.

After much frustration, I was able to remove the bulb and re-install. Also replaced the one on the driver's side. Got to that one from underneath.

Didn't have to install a resistor due to the fact that I have two bulbs in the rear instead of one. I am using Prado Tail Lights.

Don't know the brand of the LEDs. Also replaced the 1157 Tail Lights. Both the Amber and the Red LEDs are brighter than the originals.

~ Cap
How did ya do it? Glad to see it worked out in the end.
Old 05-06-06, 12:07 PM
Capirato
Racer

How did ya do it?
Hi Jim.....

I was unsuccessful in removing the headlight assembly, but was able to move it somewhat, whereby it separated from the fender, about an inch or so. That gave me enough room to look and was able to move the illusive bulb with two 12 gauge wires, enough to a point where I was able to use my wife's tweezers to finally bring it out.

I think I have figured out how the bulb came out of the socket in the first place. The LEDs I am using, look and feel like a corn-cob with rough edges. As I was originally installing the bulb, it was getting dark and I was only going by feel. I suspect that I rubbed against the opening of the light-assembly with the corn-cob type bulb, then when I twisted at the same time, the LED bulb was disengaged from the socket.

At first I thought that because the LED is about 1/4 to 3/8 in. longer, that perhaps, the bulb having a flat end, had pushed against the lens, then with the twist it had disengaged. However, the LED does not reach the lens.

Thanks to everybody for their support.....

~ Cap
Old 05-06-06, 08:48 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by The G Man

What brand of LED bulbs are you using?
Hi G Man.....

I bought the LEDs from:

http://autodirectsave.com/1156_1157_LED_BULBS.asp

~ Cap
Old 05-07-06, 07:15 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Do I understand correctly that you might have needed a resistor (m)

had you not installed "Prado" tailights?? Looks nice, but I have no desire to start screwing around with resistors, etc. Unless its plug n play I'll pass.
Old 05-08-06, 03:16 PM
lexbuddy
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

yes Capirato, you need to remove the bumper... I see you have already took care of it... but I have the diagrams if needed.