GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Is rotor warpage a common occurance with the GX 470?

Old 04-25-06, 07:19 PM
financedog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is rotor warpage a common occurance with the GX 470?

The reason I ask is because I had a new Jeep Grand Cherokee many years ago (1998), and it had cronic warped front rotors. The rotors would often warp after just 5K miles, and I wasn't driving the car like a bat out of hell. It was a terrible experience!

When I bought my Lexus GX 470 a few months ago from an individual, I noticed some vibration when braking. I took the Lexus in for the 30K service and asked the dealer to check it out. I figured the front rotors were warped, but it turned out that it was coming from the rear rotors. The dealer smoothed them out and the Lexus now brakes like a dream!

Having not owned the vehicle very long, are warped rotors comon with the GX or are they just like any other vehicle in that they can warp due to driving habits and/or driving conditions, but don't very often?

Thanks!
Old 04-25-06, 07:40 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by financedog
The reason I ask is because I had a new Jeep Grand Cherokee many years ago (1998), and it had cronic warped front rotors. The rotors would often warp after just 5K miles, and I wasn't driving the car like a bat out of hell. It was a terrible experience!

When I bought my Lexus GX 470 a few months ago from an individual, I noticed some vibration when braking. I took the Lexus in for the 30K service and asked the dealer to check it out. I figured the front rotors were warped, but it turned out that it was coming from the rear rotors. The dealer smoothed them out and the Lexus now brakes like a dream!

Having not owned the vehicle very long, are warped rotors comon with the GX or are they just like any other vehicle in that they can warp due to driving habits and/or driving conditions, but don't very often?

Thanks!
i don't think it's common, but it can happen due to the heavy weight of the vehicle producing more heat, causing it to warp or depending on the way you drive. i've had mine warp but since i had the front brakes replaced, problem solved!
Old 06-06-08, 09:15 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

YES!

If you feel the vibration in the steering wheel it's your front, but if you feel it in the pedal and the seat of your pants it is more then likely the rear. The rear it seams is where the problems are most often found on lower mileage GXs.

In speaking with a lexus mechanic who is a 16 yr veteran as a lexus master technician, the rear rotors of the GX have a history of premature warping. As noted in another post, the rotors are undersized for the weight of the GX. Resurfacing only thins the rotor further so it is more then likely to not only warp again, but warp sooner, which is why IN THIS CASE it is recommended to replace vs. resurface. W/32k miles on my GX that has rear rotors that started warping around 20k, I am looking into the CRYO Slotted Rotors. I replaced my front OEM rotors on my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland which warped chronically w/the cryo rotors and never had a problem after.

Last edited by cssnms; 06-06-08 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-11-08, 06:17 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool I have to agree ....

Originally Posted by cssnms
YES!

If you feel the vibration in the steering wheel it's your front, but if you feel it in the pedal and the seat of your pants it is more then likely the rear. The rear it seams is where the problems are most often found on lower mileage GXs.

In speaking with a lexus mechanic who is a 16 yr veteran as a lexus master technician, the rear rotors of the GX have a history of premature warping. As noted in another post, the rotors are undersized for the weight of the GX. Resurfacing only thins the rotor further so it is more then likely to not only warp again, but warp sooner, which is why IN THIS CASE it is recommended to replace vs. resurface. W/32k miles on my GX that has rear rotors that started warping around 20k, I am looking into the CRYO Slotted Rotors. I replaced my front OEM rotors on my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland which warped chronically w/the cryo rotors and never had a problem after.
My rear rotors warped at around 30K. I also remember a time when I drove away from a valet with the parking brake on (thanks mister valet, I drove about a mile), and I am not sure if that contributed to the early failure. I am not sure if the parking brake effects the rear or a transfer case brake rotor?? Anyway, I had to have the brakes rotors turned. If I had it to do over again, I would not have the rotors turned (they warped again around 20K later). I would spend the money to have them all replace fresh. Better yet, I think that Brembo makes rotors for the Toyota 4runner which fit the GX.