GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-06, 07:06 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now lets see what this new tsbs got to offer. had it done yesterday, so i'll see this weekend if it'll come up or not. i tried (when going home) raising the suspension at a stoplight, and seems that the clunk didnt show up. hope it will BE GONE FOREVER!!!!
Old 07-02-06, 09:19 AM
no1sportz
Driver School Candidate

I had mine completed approx. 2 weeks ago and NO CLUNK so far!! It appears that Lexus has nailed it this time. However after you guys get your work done it's always a good idea to check everything over yourself.

They failed to reattach my exhaust back into the hanger. I just happened to be going under there to change out the diff fluid and found this. Leaving it hanging like this could lead to a bigger problem like a crack near the header, etc. Good luck trying to blame it on them too. I reattached it no problem but this is exactly why I don't let Lexus complete maintenance on my rides.
Old 07-02-06, 11:46 AM
LexusStevo
Driver School Candidate

Default Clunk fixed in all 2006 GX 470 > April

Just bought a GX 470 and I had them check if the TSIB would be required (i.e., has the problem been fixed at the manufacturing end?)

I was told that any GX 470 made after April (maybe including April) has the TSIB integrated into the build. Mine was built in June, and there hasn't been any clunk.
Old 07-02-06, 01:33 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by LexusStevo
Just bought a GX 470 and I had them check if the TSIB would be required (i.e., has the problem been fixed at the manufacturing end?)

I was told that any GX 470 made after April (maybe including April) has the TSIB integrated into the build. Mine was built in June, and there hasn't been any clunk.
IF your GX was going to develop the clunk, I believe it takes a few thousand miles before it begins. I only have 3200 miles on my GX and so far its been great.
Old 07-06-06, 08:52 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by BobsGX
IF your GX was going to develop the clunk, I believe it takes a few thousand miles before it begins. I only have 3200 miles on my GX and so far its been great.
My 2006 has just over 1k miles, and we have experienced what I beleive is the clunk... feels like someone has tapped the rear end of the car after you have stopped... Our is a 2006 purchased end of May.... I'll have to determine its manufacture date... plan to mention the TSB when we take it in for the 5K oil service...
Old 07-06-06, 09:55 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here, I have expierenced it in our '06. But my wife didn't notice it. So I didn't bother about it. It's not annoying to me, but I don't drive it as much as she does. May have them look at it on our first schedule service date. So far so good she loves the truck, if she happy I am happy.
Old 07-06-06, 12:09 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I didn't notice the cluck at first either, after about 2500 miles, I started to notice it. It has gotten worst now that I am at 6000 miles. My GX is going in next Monday for the TSB.
Old 07-06-06, 03:15 PM
rklages
Pole Position

I have an 06 - bought in March 06 - just turned 8k and starting to get the clunk - it takes a little time, I think they all get it (especially if driven in northern climates) and lots of people just ignore it or don't care.

Rob
Old 07-06-06, 04:05 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

why was another thread openned about this topic?? there's gotta be like, 100 threads (exaggerated) about this!! There's even a sticky about it.... But anyways,

I personally think it's really worth doing the fix. So far, so good. Too bad the 4Runner people can't get this fix done to their vehicles because Toyota officially hasn't" released" the TSB for the V8 4wd 4Runners
Old 07-07-06, 07:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota hasn't release the TSB because the problem seem to be related to the air suspension. The air suspension is optional on the V8 4runners and there are very few out there with that option. I am affraid the Toyota people will have to wait or even worst, they may have to wait til the next re-design.

rklages, did you get your TSB none yet, if so, which dealer did you use?

Last edited by The G Man; 07-07-06 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-07-06, 08:02 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rx900
why was another thread openned about this topic?? there's gotta be like, 100 threads (exaggerated) about this!! There's even a sticky about it.... But anyways,

I personally think it's really worth doing the fix. So far, so good. Too bad the 4Runner people can't get this fix done to their vehicles because Toyota officially hasn't" released" the TSB for the V8 4wd 4Runners
RX900 - This is a close call. LexusStevo was trying to announce something different -that his dealer said the newest 06's should not have the clunk and do not need the fix (different than the thread on fixing the clunk.

However, it is obvious this is becoming another "here's when I got my clunk and if I fixed it" thread, so I will now combine it with the original thread for historical reference and continuity.
Old 07-09-06, 04:30 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Looks like my 06 GX is also joining the club. The other day when I came to a stop and before I took my foot off the brake pedal, I raised the rear of the GX and then lowered it using the RAHC switch. Sure enough, I felt a shudder in the driveline. Felt kind of like a vehicle tapped the GX lightly from the rear. Since I only have 3400 miles on the GX, I imagine it will get worse as the miles accumulate.
I made an appointment with Prestige Lexus in NJ. They said it takes about 3 hours to do the repair. While its there, I might as well get the first free service done even though I already changed the oil and filter myself. They also said they would give me a loaner car, but I might just hang around till its done.

Has anyone had the repair done at Prestige Lexus? Or any repairs/service done there. If so,
how did everything go? Thanks
Old 07-10-06, 08:35 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Add me to the club as well. I already have an appointment

with Prestige for July 18th or so. Just started to notice it around 2500 miles +/-. Oh, well--could be worse. They said they have been doing this update on an ongoing basis.
Old 07-12-06, 05:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I just got the TSB done on my truck yesterday, like somebody mentioned earlier, the truck feels stiffer. Almost 2 setting stiffer on the suspension dial. I took a look at the truck underneath to make sure all hangers and other things are in place and saw the new lower control arms. I am not sure how big they were before, but these new ones are pretty big. That may explain why the handling is stiffer, so now I just leave the dial on the 2nd setting instead of the 4th. Other than that, the ride is smooth when braking and so far so good.
Old 07-12-06, 09:34 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by Salvator
My 2006 has just over 1k miles, and we have experienced what I beleive is the clunk... feels like someone has tapped the rear end of the car after you have stopped... Our is a 2006 purchased end of May.... I'll have to determine its manufacture date... plan to mention the TSB when we take it in for the 5K oil service...
If I'm reading the sticker on my driver's door frame correctly, it has an 04/06 indicator... See what they say when we take it in for the 5k service...

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB