GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-11, 07:30 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had this same issue on my 2008 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8 (GX470 w/Toyota badge). After 9months of arguing/fighting with the dealers and Toyota for a fix, I traded it in for a Lexus IS350. Wouldn't you know it, Lexus acknowledge their GX470 customers right away.....same ef'n car.....different stickers....different treatment. Love the capitalism in this country. Go to www.T4R.org, and see what those poor guys are dealing with...SAME ISSUE...NO FIX!
Old 09-29-11, 07:11 AM
Glfpilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to the web site and have the same problem with the wife's gx. What is the promo code for the CL discount at Sewell??
Old 09-29-11, 03:13 PM
meyer65
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glfpilot
I'm new to the web site and have the same problem with the wife's gx. What is the promo code for the CL discount at Sewell??
Check out this link:

http://is.sewellparts.com/clublexus.php
Old 09-30-11, 10:06 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I regreased the rear driveshaft for the second time and passed few trips I could not feel or hear any clunk at all. I have quote from dealer at $288.40 for new 37110-60A40 shaft assy, list is $360.50
Will see how it drives on but right now I can't feel it, it used to be very obvious two months ago.
Old 10-03-11, 09:42 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Members,

Appreciate some feedback on the topic. Is a test drive the only method of checking to see if a vehicle has the clunk issue? Based on reading the comments on this thread, the clunk occurence varies from owner to owner in frequency and severity. If you have the clunk and take it to the dealer and no clunk occurs when the dealer test drives it, then the dealer won't fix it (because he doesn't "see" the problem). Is there any other way of testing for the clunk?

Thanks.
Old 10-03-11, 12:06 PM
mbenz80
Rookie

My speculation:
The clunk has to be a play in certain part of drive shaft and there is only two places that I can think of. One is in splines and the other in universal joints.
Both of my u-joints looked good when I was under the truck but to check the play in splined shaft, you will need to use two pipe wrenches to apply enough torque against each other to feel it. I could not feel any play using bare hands after greasing all 3 grease fitting points. Too bad I didn't try it before greasing.
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-11, 06:21 AM
97JZA80
Pit Crew

Just thought I would provide a current experience..

Car purchased about a year and a half ago. 2007 GX with KDSS CPO car. 72k miles now on truck.

When test driven it did not present with the problem. However it developed over the last 6-12months until i finally took it in last month. .

I made the appointment, dropped it off, it was done in 3 hours. No question asked. Covered under CPO warranty.

Climbed under and double checked I had a new shaft and all looks good, more importantly problem is gone.

Koons Lexus of Wilmington, DE

redrocks I had the same concern, since it doesnt happen 100% of the time. So I dont know how they confim. I will say I felt like if I was in a harder braking situation I felt like it was more likely to occur.
Old 10-05-11, 09:27 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocks
Members,

Appreciate some feedback on the topic. Is a test drive the only method of checking to see if a vehicle has the clunk issue? Based on reading the comments on this thread, the clunk occurence varies from owner to owner in frequency and severity. If you have the clunk and take it to the dealer and no clunk occurs when the dealer test drives it, then the dealer won't fix it (because he doesn't "see" the problem). Is there any other way of testing for the clunk?

Thanks.
The Allternate method is to check the Old part Number. The TSB issued was to replace
old Part P/N 37110-6A480. This replaces with the New Shaft P/N - 37110-60A40.
To claim under this TSB program, you should have Power Train Warranty - 70,000miles. If not you can buy this part from Sewell as CL members get a good discount, and I can send you the method which I have done and till date it has been absolutely fine. All you need so is some basis tools, and truck jacked up having decent space to work around.
Now The problem I have seen is not in the spline, that is seem like that the Axle is now having a larger dia compared to older Shaft.
Old 10-05-11, 09:51 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

97JZA80 & Mann777,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely check out the part #, which I'm assuming will be present on the drive shaft. I'll also check out "hard braking" to see if that causes the clunk to occur.

I have a 2006 CPO GX470 with almost 60K miles on it. I sincerely believe I also have the clunk issue. Understanderbly, if dealership doesn't find the problem, why change/fix it.
Old 10-05-11, 09:55 AM
mann777

Take the copy of the TSB to the dealer and you must tell him that the Clunk appears on many occassion and sometime do not. At least they would believe you, if you are not able to repeat that symptom while on test drive. Here is the copy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CLUNK TSB 2008.pdf (160.0 KB, 855 views)
Old 10-05-11, 10:02 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Well, kick me in the butt! I have a copy of this TSB that you posted earlier and sure enough it has the old part #. When I get home today, I'll check. I guess if I don't have the same part #, then the problem is something else.

Thanks, Mann777!
Old 10-05-11, 10:25 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Mann777,

Is the old Part P/N 37110-6A480 clearly visible on the part(s)?

Thanks.
Old 10-05-11, 10:48 AM
mann777

There is a Sticker with the Part Number mentioned on it. Here is the link with the image and the DIY which i had posted. Also Since you are having this issue, do you fall under the category as per the TSB affected VIN models which are production change information on the TSB, if in case you are not able to see the P/N. The VIN check would be done by the Service Engineers at Lexus. So not to worry. Here is the image link attached
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ew-tsb-45.html
Old 10-05-11, 10:57 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mann777
There is a Sticker with the Part Number mentioned on it. Here is the link with the image and the DIY which i had posted. Also Since you are having this issue, do you fall under the category as per the TSB affected VIN models which are production change information on the TSB, if in case you are not able to see the P/N. The VIN check would be done by the Service Engineers at Lexus. So not to worry. Here is the image link attached
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ew-tsb-45.html
Yes, my VIN falls under the affected models, so hopefully the part # will also be consistent with impacted vehicles.

Thanks again. Can't wait to get home to check.
Old 10-05-11, 11:50 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

I'm driving my wife's GX for second day now and out of about 40 stop & go cycles, I could noticed slight thump twice. If the play is not in twisting motion, then there is only one more move that this shaft makes. It will have to adjust its lenght with up/down motion of the suspension.
If this linear motion is not smooth, it will make clunk at the time of braking (when the nose of vehicle goes down/rear up) or on takeoff (nose will lift up/ rear goes lower).
I can clearly hear this same or even harder thump when I adjust the vehicle height thus extending drive shaft.
Mann777,
would you remember how hard it was on your old and new drive shaft to push the flanges together or stretch them apart? Did you have to pull on rear yoke of driveshaft to adjust to lenght between fanges at the time of installation?
Now, I finally have original GX service manual with propeller shaft overhaul procedure, I may just try to take it apart to see, what part is binding up on it. Worst case, I just put it together, as it was before (till now with 8 years and 258K miles on it).

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB