GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 06:59 AM
TomGXer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes

Yup it was the TSB fix mentioned here, new drive shaft and rear control arms. I noticed that I had the issue, emailed my contact at the dealership and he set up the driving test with the head tech/mechanic there. I brought the truck in to find out that they are just going to do the fix, no questions asked. I gave them the truck on Friday evening and they did the fix that night. The head maintenance guy met with me on Saturday to let me know I was pretty much the first person to get the fix (from him as he just got back from the training for it) and to keep in touch to make sure it worked. So far so good....it feels like it did when I first picked it up almost a year ago.

Special thanks to Ben, Bob and Niva at Longo Lexus.
Old 05-03-06, 01:19 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomGXer
Yup it was the TSB fix mentioned here, new drive shaft and rear control arms. I noticed that I had the issue, emailed my contact at the dealership and he set up the driving test with the head tech/mechanic there. I brought the truck in to find out that they are just going to do the fix, no questions asked. I gave them the truck on Friday evening and they did the fix that night. The head maintenance guy met with me on Saturday to let me know I was pretty much the first person to get the fix (from him as he just got back from the training for it) and to keep in touch to make sure it worked. So far so good....it feels like it did when I first picked it up almost a year ago.

Special thanks to Ben, Bob and Niva at Longo Lexus.
Tom - That is great! Please keep us updated on whether the fix works or if other problems develop. I think I am starting to get the "clunk" in my 06GX at 2800 miles, but not enough to do anything yet.
Old 05-04-06, 02:38 PM
TexGX
Rookie

I had mine fixed yesterday. They changed the drive shaft and upper/lower control arms. So far so good. I will let you know how it goes.

TexGX
Old 05-04-06, 06:08 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Default Sticking thread for a while

Guys-
Since this topic is of such high interest to many I am going to "sticky" it for a while. Let us all know if you are getting it done, if there were any issues, and how it is working out here.
Old 05-05-06, 09:55 AM
gstois
Rookie

We have had our GX for 4 months. we get a "clunk" when we come to a stop. almost feels like someone tapped us from behind. Is this the same "clunk" you are referring to? I took it into the dealer a few weeks ago and was told that this is normal on cars with height control. Hmmm?
Old 05-05-06, 10:16 AM
TomGXer
Rookie

Default not normal

yes that is the problem everyone has been reffering to and have infact used the very same description. I got mine most when releasing the brake pedal and durring slow rolling starts. I dont think it normal to deal with this on any 50k vehicle.
Old 05-05-06, 10:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Have anybody with the new TSB fix try to lower or raise the rear suspension or run the AC to try to re-create the cluck?
Old 05-05-06, 05:11 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Does anyone know the TSB on this - - give the quality of some dealer info - better to be armed with the right info. I have 8k on my 06 and the clunk is definitely there. I was planning to 'live with it'...but if indeed the fix is pretty straight forward and will last - may be well worth it.
Hopefully the same for KDSS and non-KDSS.....I think someone may have already posted the TSB but if anyone has it on hand- appreciate the feedback....
Old 05-06-06, 04:26 PM
trebien
Driver

I called my dealer last week... and mentioned I wanted to get it fixed, but didn't want to be the "guinea pig". He said they had already done about 25-30 vehicles. Ok, then.

Probably get it done next week.
Old 05-07-06, 08:37 AM
man8959
Driver

Default should i get it fix

i do have the clunk too but every one in a while. should i get it fix? how do i tell the dealer to use the new TSB to fix it, you know sometime they don't listen.
Old 05-07-06, 09:22 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Default Threads merged

I have merged the newer clunk thread with a previous recent thread listing the actual TSB - I'm trying to keep all the information in one place.
Old 05-07-06, 11:00 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by man8959

I do have the clunk too but every once in a while. Should I get it fixed? How do I tell the dealer to use the new TSB to fix it, you know sometimes they don't listen.
Absolutely, get it fixed. Make sure you get a loaner, as it may take a day or two. Sometimes they have to order the drive shaft.

~ Cap
Old 05-08-06, 05:36 PM
man8959
Driver

for those who got it fixed, does any problems occur after fix it? i'm scare they might mess up my vehicle. thank you!
Old 05-10-06, 04:11 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Yesterday I noticed the clunk but it wasn't really bad . .. do I take it in for a check up ?or wait to see if it gets worse ??

I sure hope everyone has great luck with the fix..
Old 05-11-06, 05:35 PM
malhokc
Pole Position

I also notcied this problem, though mild, in my nex GX with 1700 miles. I decided to take it to the dealer today and had it fixed in approx 3-4 hrs. As previously indicated, a a new drive shaft and rear control arms had to be replaced. The problem has since then resolved. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB