GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

tow hitch....revisited

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-06, 07:58 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tow hitch....revisited

has anyone installed a tow hitch on their GX w/ KDSS....I need the hitch for a bike rack...I have read most of the older posts and seems like a hitch is available but wanted to get confirmation for KDSS compatability...the dealership was was clueless ...

I have the $50 tow hitch 'bracket' that was preinstalled when i bought the car but that is it ....I think the tow hitch is $300....also how much to install it?
Old 04-03-06, 08:01 PM
trebien
Driver

What I can tell you, is that my KDSS GX came with an OEM tow hitch installed from the port.

Not sure what you are asking, but obviously, it is fine to install a hitch on a KDSS vehicle.
Old 04-04-06, 06:49 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Well I checked with another dealership today- hitch is $340 and installation another $200.....once I get the hitch installed, will buy either Thule or Yakima bike racks......
Old 04-04-06, 07:19 PM
trebien
Driver

I've got a Thule 4 bike swing-away.

I love it, and liked some feature over the Yak.

I believe REI carries both brands if you want to go compare.
Old 04-05-06, 05:41 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GGGXXX
has anyone installed a tow hitch on their GX w/ KDSS....I need the hitch for a bike rack...I have read most of the older posts and seems like a hitch is available but wanted to get confirmation for KDSS compatability...the dealership was was clueless ...

I have the $50 tow hitch 'bracket' that was preinstalled when i bought the car but that is it ....I think the tow hitch is $300....also how much to install it?

I guess I am confused because it sounds as if you already have what you need installed. And, why would they install it on your GX with KDSS if you were not able to have it in the first place?
Old 04-05-06, 06:06 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I bought an aftermarket hitch by CURT Manufacturing........Class III rated for 5500lbs. Total installed was $265. Skip Lexus, they rip you off on both the hitch and the installation. The install took 20 minutes, all they do is bolt it to the existing holes in the frame. The pre-rig for the hitch on Lexus' is the 7 plug port for trailer lights under the bumper.
Old 04-05-06, 07:31 AM
TomGXer
Rookie

Default What Kind of Bikes?

yo GGGXXX, what kind of bikes are you carrying? If you are not dead set on using Thule or Yakima....check out the Sportworks T2. Much more solid and WAY easier to use. I have the two bike version on my GX and love it.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails tow hitch....revisited-shuttle5a.jpg  

Last edited by TomGXer; 04-05-06 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-05-06, 11:28 AM
rklages
Pole Position

I agree with jugdisk - I bought a curt $130 delivered to my door - it is a nice heavy piece and comes with everything you need - installation is a breeze, just 4 bolts on each side (Provided) and you have a heavy duty trailer hitch. I already had toe prep, so the plug is already under there, I just relocated it to attach to the hitch itself and bough the adapter from 7 to 4 pin - all said and done for $137 and about 45 minutes of work!

Rob
Old 04-05-06, 12:50 PM
BobsGX
Racer

I transferred the Lexus 6,500 lb hitch from my 05 to my 06 GX. Its easy to install by yourself but another helper would come in handy to steady the hitch as you bolt it in place. The Lexus hitch is held on with 4 more large bolts (12 total) than any of the other hitches that are available from the aftermarket. If you can turn a socket wrench, buy the Lexus hitch at http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=16 and install it yourself. Also make sure to download the very well done installation instructions. And of course there is no drilling, cutting or splicing needed for the installation.
Old 04-05-06, 06:39 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Default Thanks....!!

Guys - thanks very much for all the feedback. I will look around but I think will be going for the Lexus hitch. I know it is a bit more expensive than others but seems easy enough to install.

For bike racks - I am looking for 4 or 5-bike stand - so may end up with a Thule or Yakima that can accomodate as many bikes...although the Sportsworks T2 looks great.....

swing away is a good feature although I think others tilt down but I think I will go to REI to compare as suggested.

Tribein - any particular reason you chose Thule over Yak...
Old 04-05-06, 07:20 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

I was really hoping to get a receiver hitch this time around, and was disappointed that for the GX it would be an addon. My 96Ford Explorer had the old hole in the bumper style hitch, and I used a RoadGear two-bike rack - it was never quite stable enough, no matter how much I tightened the hitch ball to hold it on. I figure that a receiver hitch will be a lot stronger and more stable?

Before I spend for the hitch, I want to make sure there is a bike rack to go with it. I only need a two bike rack (hubby doesn't ride) for my daughter and my bike. The problem is that they are both full size, small frame, women's bikes. They are both aluminum crossover type bikes (can go road and moderate off road) - mine is Specialized and hers is a Gary Fisher.

Because they are women's aluminum bikes, they do not have a horizontal crossbar - and both the bars are fairly thick and there is minimal room between them. Standard horizontal crossbar supports don't work well (with the Roadgear, I could get one support in, and then rested the post on the other - not very stable!

The local bike stores don't seem to have any suggestions. I'd appreciate any ideas. Here's a picture of my bike (both are similar):
Attached Thumbnails tow hitch....revisited-04expeditionelite_d.jpg  
Old 04-05-06, 08:44 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Hi Silver,

Thule makes some truly wonderful bike racks and hence the reason why I purchased the tow hitch for my GX, I don't intend to tow anything but my bikes!

Check this out for a 2 bike option:

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/prod...t_id=8&sku=916

There are many others to choose from including Yakima, I'm really surprised your local bike store salesperson wasn't that helpful, but there are quite a LOT of bike racks out there especially for NON traditional bikes with out the cross bar... Thule even makes adaptors that will "convert" the bike into a "men's" version with the top bar as well...

Just make sure you get yourself a 2" hitch receiver.... They come in two sizes, 1.25" and 2" , most of the better bike racks will fit the 2"

Good luck...

-Alex
Old 04-06-06, 06:13 AM
rklages
Pole Position

There is another option over the full trailer hitch, you can get just the receiver that bolts to the bottom of the bumper in place of the prep piece that is already there - it is perfect if you are just going to use a bike rack or maybe pull a light trailer and don't need the 6500lb hitch.

Just 4 bolts and a few minutes to bolt it on.

$180 http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=16

Rob
Old 04-06-06, 08:50 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks LoneWolf - That one looks like the SportsWorks from Tom's picture (it appears now to be Thule???) and does bill itself as being the most versatile. If it will slide in enough to fit a kid's bike, it will probably fit the small length frame on ours. The picture I have above is from Specialized, and is probably the longer frame - mine has even less space and I can barely fit a medium water bottle inside the V - I usually have to stop to get it in or out!

That model of bike rack does look like it would work - I wonder how easy it is to get a bike on with only one person. I can just about lift my aluminum bike (couldn't lift my old steel hardtail!), but not exactly over my head. I used a small step stool to help me get the bike on the old rack). Since this one doesn't "hang" I wonder how hard it is to keep the bike upright while all the adjusting is going on.

I am a "bit" older and not as strong as most here - what looks easy on paper can become a major challenge for me - there is always that one bolt that won't loosen, or heavy thing that has to be held up with one hand.

Rklages - does that piece fit into the bracket that is already part of my "trailer prep" package? I am somewhat concerned that carrying bikes is even more of a strain than a trailer - a trailer can be balanced to minimize tongue weight, and most of the force is shear. Carrying bikes essentially on top of the bracket maximizes tongue weight, and the longer the rack the greater the leverage - magnified by any bumps you go over.
Old 04-06-06, 03:02 PM
Prayn4sno
Driver School Candidate

Hey Silverlady -
I Have a Thule hitch rack for my pathy and it is great...all my racks have been THULE, As i will not by any other (my ski racks are also THULE) If you have a problem mounting your bikes b/c of the frame style, head to a local bike shop and pick up a THULE 982 LADIES BIKE ADAPTER. I have it for my Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert/ full suspension/hydrolic disk break Mt. Bike...(bike is sooooo sweet) It connects your head set stem (holds your handle bars) to your seat post giving you a straight bar across. It is very easy to use, my wife sometimes loads up the bikes and she has no problems doing it. Here is the link: http://www.roofrackshop.co.uk/bike/t...bike-racks.htm Just scroll through it and find the adapter or go to THULE web site. Good luck and again you will not be disapointed by THULE.

Last edited by Prayn4sno; 04-06-06 at 03:08 PM.

Quick Reply: tow hitch....revisited