GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX 470 roof rack removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-06, 09:11 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking GX 470 roof rack removal

Just wondering if anyone has had their roof rack removed. My GX is too high to get in the parking garage...lol. HELP !!!
Old 02-28-06, 09:49 PM
GXPrado
Driver

you can easily remove it. Pop the plastic end caps, unscrew the mounts and put the screws back into the holes. They will be invisible unless directly overhead basically.
depending on the mounts, you might be able to cover them up w/ additional black trim.

If it is that close that the factory rack makes the difference, I would not go into the garage! They are not accurate many times. They often get much lower in sections or b/c of pipes.
Old 03-01-06, 09:18 PM
petsb10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same problem, MAYBE. The garage I am renting is so close to the height of the GX I am just not sure if it will fit. My garage is like 77 inches, the GX is so close to that. With the roofrack it might go over the top and definitely not fit. Might have to remove the roofrack.
Old 03-02-06, 01:41 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by petsb10
I am having the same problem, MAYBE. The garage I am renting is so close to the height of the GX I am just not sure if it will fit. My garage is like 77 inches, the GX is so close to that. With the roofrack it might go over the top and definitely not fit. Might have to remove the roofrack.
The dealer should let you take the GX to see if it fits in the garage. If not, go to another dealer who is more customer oriented.
Old 03-02-06, 07:22 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobsGX
The dealer should let you take the GX to see if it fits in the garage. If not, go to another dealer who is more customer oriented.
I was sweating waiting for the GX, worried if it would fit in the garage (subject of a post or two here). I was more concerned about the width, but the height actually turned out to be very close.

I had mentioned this to the dealer a couple of times, but he never suggested taking it home (we are not that far) and I never thought of it until I saw it here after we placed our order. Is this often done, or is it something the customer has to push?

Anyhow, I was able to get it into the garage on the first very slow try and I now do it several times a day. There is at least an inch of clearance on each side!
Old 03-02-06, 09:45 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverLady
I was sweating waiting for the GX, worried if it would fit in the garage (subject of a post or two here). I was more concerned about the width, but the height actually turned out to be very close.

I had mentioned this to the dealer a couple of times, but he never suggested taking it home (we are not that far) and I never thought of it until I saw it here after we placed our order. Is this often done, or is it something the customer has to push?

Anyhow, I was able to get it into the garage on the first very slow try and I now do it several times a day. There is at least an inch of clearance on each side!
Most Lexus dealers will let you try the car out the for 24 hours if you ask them. Back in 99, when I was looking to get my first suv, the local Lexus dealer let me take the RX home and use it for a day. Thank goodness he did because a short 10 minute test ride would never have revealed that my right knee area would get extremely sore from it leaning against that center dash consolette that the RX has instead of the normal full center console like the one in the GX.
Saved me a lot of trouble and money by passing on the RX.