GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rats, got the "clunk" and the "lean"

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-06, 02:53 PM
peterh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rats, got the "clunk" and the "lean"

Thought I was going to dodge having the infamous "clunk" on my '05, but right around 9K miles it started up. Lexus dealer looked at it at regular service, and said I had the upataed part already and they are awaiting a TSB on another fix.
Not more than 1 week later as I pulled my GX into the driveway (very level) it was leaning heavily to the drivers side. I actually measured the wheel gap between the tire and trim and there was a nearly 3 inch difference! I drove it around a bit and it was less - but seems as if the dirvers rear is 3/4 to 1 inch lower than the passenger side.
Back to the dealer - no word yet on the "lean" issue.
Old 02-21-06, 03:51 PM
cowabunga
Driver School Candidate

Do you have the KDSS option? I read that the lean was only happening on models with KDSS. I have an 05 without KDSS and do not have the "lean" although I do have the klunk (barely noticeable and not too big a deal for me).
Old 02-21-06, 06:00 PM
peterh
Rookie

Yes, I have the KDSS option. My '05 has the sport package option that had KDSS as part of it. As far as the clunk, if I had not been reading all the posts on the forums, I probably would have just shrugged it off as no big deal. Since it was due for service, I had them look at it to see if there was a fix. My clunk is very slight and very intermittent.
Old 02-21-06, 06:01 PM
Skip
Driver

My 2004 leaned to the drivers side. I measured from the wheelwell to the center of the wheel and the left was over an inch lower than the right. It also seamed very loose feeling at frwy speeds.

The dealer replaced both rear shocks and all is well now. The left shock had zero fluid and the right showed signs of leaking also. It is like driving a new car again.

I do not have KDDS suspension.
Old 02-21-06, 06:27 PM
xikar
Driver School Candidate

Is this clunk problem fixable? I have 22k on my 04 and havent noticed a problem yet. But in the event that it occurs, can it be fixed?
Old 02-22-06, 01:59 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool NO lean ... w KDSS

Originally Posted by cowabunga
Do you have the KDSS option? I read that the lean was only happening on models with KDSS. I have an 05 without KDSS and do not have the "lean" although I do have the klunk (barely noticeable and not too big a deal for me).
I have 2004 w KDSS and don't have a lean problem. I have noticed that the "auto" rear height leveling system sometimes comes up with a different result when parked. I usually drive the truck alone in a commute and the truck does not have a noticeable lean. I did have an odd clunking from the KDSS a while back. It would kind of "drop" into position when I would come to a stop. Usually after driving through a bunch of curves a short time earlier. But, that is different than the clunk from the driveline (I have that now too). But the KDSS "drop" issue stopped after a month or two, and has not happend since.
I understand there is a "fix" to the clunk issue, but I have not had one installed as yet. As far as the lean, I would say that 3" is pretty significant. Does the vehicle ALWAYS have that type of lean to it, when parked. Or is it something that only happens occasionally under certain conditions. If it only happens occasionally, it probably isn't a problem. Just a condition of circumstance. Now the trick will be to have it stay that way long enough to get it to a dealer and have them see it for real.
Old 02-22-06, 06:07 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

I have an '06 and there is a slight lean - - I have the sports package (KDSS). The clunk is minor but it is there.
Old 03-04-06, 05:30 PM
cmc5dc
Driver

Have the clunk issue as well and Lexus has replaced the main issue last year but it was only a temp. fix and now I have it worse than ever. BTW I have 30K on the car (2003)
Old 03-05-06, 08:35 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cmc5dc
Have the clunk issue as well and Lexus has replaced the main issue last year but it was only a temp. fix and now I have it worse than ever. BTW I have 30K on the car (2003)
i have 43k on mine. u just get used to it. don't sweat it u guys. eventually, it won't even show up as much. now if there's a way to disable the automatic height adjustment, guaranteed 100% the clunk will disappear. too bad i havent heard anyone doing that yet...
Old 03-06-06, 12:43 PM
cgwelder
Driver School Candidate

I have a 05 Sport w/KDSS and it leaned 3/4"-1" to the drivers side. My local Dealer replaced the front and rear springs. Now the lean is only about 1/4"-3/8" and looks much better. The work was done under warranty.

Hope this helps,

Chris
Old 03-06-06, 12:56 PM
crubrexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lean / Tilt fixed for me

I posted a thread a while back detailing my experience with the lean / tilt problem on my 2005 GX w/ KDSS. It was fixed fully, and the lean has not returned. Here's a before / after photo:
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...63474/size/big

Here's the thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185784

Because my repair was split up into two different days, I can say for sure that bleeding the KDSS system was the fix for my truck. Others have reported that the bleeding did not help them, however my theory is that the truck must be fully levelled (with a floor jack) before the bleeding is done. If the tech. tries to bleed the system with the GX on a slightly tilted floor (say near a floor drain), I believe it will result in the incorrect amount of fluid pumped into the system, either retaining the tilt, or tilting it in the opposite direction.

I am operating under the assumption that the GX sits on the floor when the system is bled. I don't have access to a service manual, but I belive that bleeding can't be done with weight of the truck off of the suspension.

Pat