GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

A dumb question, where's the wheel lock key?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 06:48 PM
Sammzway
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A dumb question, where's the wheel lock key?

Well while I was cleaning the rims, i've realized there's a wheel lock for every rim. Right away I started searching for the key in the glove compartment, tool kit, door pockets... I've searched all over the truck but couldn't find it. Where's the wheel lock key located originally?
Old 01-23-06, 07:06 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Sam,

I wondered the SAME thing for about two months and then, I suddenly FOUND it, tied to the JACK. Take a careful look, I'll bet you that's where they stashed your Wheel lock key as well...

-Alex
Old 01-23-06, 07:23 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Hi Sam,

I did ask during my orientation - good thing, it is not obvious.

I think it was in the same spot Lonewolf is talking about (the jack area on the left panel right near the rear door). However, it wasn't tied to anything and was just tucked there inside a tiny pouch.

I've left it there, but I do wonder if it can fall behind something.

FYI, there is a bit of extra room in there - I've put in a disposable poncho, a mylar emergency blanket, a hand warmer hot pack (all very flat), a cheap pair of work gloves and a little case with a small paratool and maglite.
Old 01-23-06, 07:52 PM
Sammzway
Rookie

Oh wow, that is one place I haven't looked. Oppss hehe. I didn't even know that compartment exists being that I never sat on the 3rd row seat. I will take a look tomorrow morning, thanks alot
Old 01-23-06, 07:58 PM
peterGX470
Driver

the wheel lock key in located in the Jack compartment, it inside a small leather pouch strip to the jack.
Old 01-23-06, 09:20 PM
BobsGX
Racer

The little pouch that holds the wheel lock key gets strapped around the rubber strap that holds the jack in place. That way it can't fall into a crevice and get lost.
Old 01-24-06, 08:05 PM
Sammzway
Rookie

FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-07-06, 08:37 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Default Get a spare

I finally looked through all the stuff the dealer gave me that comes with the GX, and found the registratioin card and order card for the wheel lock and key.

If you haven't, it is a good idea to register. It is supposed to make it easier to get you a new key if you need it.

For about $15, you can order a new spare wheel lock key at the same time. This seemed worth having and for that amount I just went ahead and ordered it. I think it took about a week and I now have a second wheel lock key. It seems like a worthwhile investment.
Old 02-08-06, 05:30 AM
Sammzway
Rookie

Originally Posted by SilverLady
I finally looked through all the stuff the dealer gave me that comes with the GX, and found the registratioin card and order card for the wheel lock and key.

If you haven't, it is a good idea to register. It is supposed to make it easier to get you a new key if you need it.

For about $15, you can order a new spare wheel lock key at the same time. This seemed worth having and for that amount I just went ahead and ordered it. I think it took about a week and I now have a second wheel lock key. It seems like a worthwhile investment.
I'm one step ahead of you .... I already registered and stuff but haven't ordered an extra key. I think thats a good idea just incase you loose one of the key.
Old 02-08-06, 10:27 AM
GXRick
Driver School Candidate

A close friend drives a Pantera and the battery is in front of the rear tire. His battery went dead and somehow the wheel key was missing from his lug wrench set. He had to drill out all 5 bolts. Cost him several hundred just in labor alone.

I ordered an extra set the day after I bought my GX. 1 will stay in the truck and I will keep 1 at home where no one can steal it.

Last edited by GXRick; 02-08-06 at 10:28 AM. Reason: mispelled
Old 02-27-06, 11:15 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SilverLady
FYI, there is a bit of extra room in there - I've put in a disposable poncho, a mylar emergency blanket, a hand warmer hot pack (all very flat), a cheap pair of work gloves and a little case with a small paratool and maglite.
Very smart. I also threw in an old cell phone and car charger. Old phones that don't have service anymore will still dial 911. Just in case something happened to my regular phone, I'd have a backup.

I also do that around the house just in case someone were to cut the phone line and try to get in.
Old 02-28-06, 10:16 AM
financedog
Driver School Candidate

So glad you asked that question. I was going to ask the same thing today!