GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2006 Hitch Install - I am still Confused

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-05, 08:56 PM
gswilder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 Hitch Install - I am still Confused

I spent about 2 hours tonight crawling under my Lexus and reading through these forums regarding an aftermarket hitch install on the GX470.

I have a new 2006 GX470, with KDSS, Navigation, and Mark Levinson. I am wanting to put a Class III type hitch on it.

It looks like there are a couple of aftermarket hitches that may work on the 2006.

Curt Mfg 13445 (I think U-Haul carries the same hitch with a different model)
Draw-Tite 75155

Here is my confusion.......

Under the Lexus, I can see the 3 predrilled frame bolts on each side. Two are close together and look larger like a 12mm bolt. On the driver side a tow hook is attached, which I assume I have to remove.

There is a another hole on the frame on each side about a foot farther back. Looks to be smaller like an 8mm bolte.

So do I just remove the tow hook, and torque down the 4 bolts that come with these 2 hitches?

It looks like only 3 predrilled holes on each side. However, some of the trailer hitch install instructions show 4 holes on each side. Could there be a difference for 2006?

Next issue regarding wiring. I do NOT need brake control, just lights. Most of the aftermarket sites say you have to hardwire. (some suggest a Modulite) However while under the Lexus, I found a couple of wiring connectors back around where the tow hitch would be connected. One was 3 connectors in a gray rubber sleeve. The other was a 5 or 6 connector in a round black type connector. Both were female I believe, and nothing was connected to them. I guess I can get out a voltage meter and check each connector while pressing the brake, turn signals, etc. However, does anyone know if these 2 connectors are prewired? If so, do I just need some kind of adapter? Again, I just have a simple (4 wire) trailer connector.

Sorry for the long post. But after reading through everything here, there seems to be a lot of confusion on the tow hitch on the GX470. I have installed several aftermarket hitches on my other Toyota vehicles. All were pretty simple. However, I don't want to order the wrong parts.

Thanks to all in advance.....

Greg
Old 12-04-05, 09:44 PM
BobsGX
Racer

I transferred the Lexus/Toyota 6500 lb. tow hitch, part #PT228-60540 from my 05 to my 06 GX470. It uses 4 bolts on each frame rail and 4 bolts right in the center of the hitch where a trailer would hook up. And yes, the tow hook gets removed and then replaced in the same location. Its a very easy installation. Even the wiring is simple. I don't believe any of the off brands use 12 bolts to secure the hitch to the vehicle. Look here for installation instructions.
http://www.lexus-parts.com/GX470_tow.pdf

But first make sure a tow hitch can be installed on a GX with the KDSS. I thought I read where the 2 are not compatible.

I noticed that the other 2 off brand hitches are rated at 5,000 lbs. No doubt due to them mounting with only 6 vs 12 for the Lexus hitch.

Last edited by BobsGX; 12-05-05 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-04-05, 11:32 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gswilder

I have a new 2006 GX470, with KDSS, Navigation, and Mark Levinson. I am wanting to put a Class III type hitch on it.

Greg
Greg.....

Looks like you wont be needing the 6500 lb hitch.

If I were you, I would go to your U-Haul dealer and have them install their 2003 4-Runner Curt 5000 lb hitch.

They will also take care of the wiring connector.

Just remember to peel off those ugly U-Haul decals.

~ Cap
Old 12-05-05, 08:41 PM
gswilder
Driver School Candidate

Question Update and Electrical

Looks like the Curt Mfg 13445 will fit on the 06 GX470. Got back under tonight, and there are 4 holes on each side of the frame to attach the receiver hitch to. I also contacted Curt Mfg to confirm.

So still needing help with the electrical. How do I connect the wiring. Most of these I have installed have some kind of converter cable that plugs into the rear light wiring harnesses. As I said earlier, there are 2 connectors by the spare tire on the GX next to where the hitch would go. It really looks like a prewired trailer wiring harness, but how to confirm.

First black connector has 3 male plugs. It is about 1 inch wide and rounded. Could it be a electrical brake connector? The wiring into the plug is Blue, Black, and White/Blue.

Second plug is gray and actually has 4 female connectors. They are arrange 2x2. The connector is about 1" in diameter, although not perfectly round. The wiring into this plug is : Red/Yellow, Yellow, Blue/Red, Blue.

Before I mess something up or drag out the electrical voltmeter, does anyone know if the GX470 is already prewired? If these connectors are not for a trailer, what could they be for?

If I cannot use this, what other options have folks used to do the wiring. Again, I just have a simple 4 pin flat plug for my trailer. (no electrical braking - just 2 lights)

Thanks again
Old 12-05-05, 11:13 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Curt Hitch

Looks like the Curt Mfg 13445 will fit on the 06 GX470. Got back under tonight, and there are 4 holes on each side of the frame to attach the receiver hitch to. I also contacted Curt Mfg to confirm.

Thanks again
Curt Hitch

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails 2006 Hitch Install - I am still Confused-curthitch.jpg  
Old 12-05-05, 11:29 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Curt Hitch

Originally Posted by Capirato

Curt Hitch

~ Cap
Curt Hitch
Attached Thumbnails 2006 Hitch Install - I am still Confused-plate4.jpg  
Old 12-06-05, 01:25 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Just get the Toyota hitch. As I posted above, it comes with nice detailed instructions including the electrical hookup, is made exclusively for the 4Runner/GX470 and those extra 4 mounting bolts just make the hitch that much stronger.
Old 12-06-05, 05:58 PM
gswilder
Driver School Candidate

Default Electrical?

I went ahead and ordered the Curt Hitch. I installed one on my Sienna a while back, and they are very good.

Still need some help on the electrical. Anyone know where I can tap into the wiring harnesses? Guess I can get into each tailight assembly and connect in there. But I heard the Lexus may not be able to handle the extra current of the trailer lights. My trailer only has 2 small lights. Doubt it would hurt.

Wiring suggestions????
Old 12-06-05, 08:26 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Curt Hitch / U-Haul

I went ahead and ordered the Curt Hitch. I installed one on my Sienna a while back, and they are very good.

Still need some help on the electrical. Anyone know where I can tap into the wiring harnesses? Guess I can get into each tailight assembly and connect in there. But I heard the Lexus may not be able to handle the extra current of the trailer lights. My trailer only has 2 small lights. Doubt it would hurt.

Wiring suggestions????
GS.....

Most GXs came ready-wired upon delivery, with a socket underneath, ready to go. With the exception of trucks with KDDS. Maybe the 05s and 06s are different.

That's the reason I suggested to go to a U-Haul Dealer and have THEM install the Curt Hitch, just in case it didn't fit. There is a question as to whether the hitch will fit with the oversized torsion bars of the KDDS.

As for the wiring, the U-Haul stores have wiring kits for everything.

~ Cap
Old 12-09-05, 07:15 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobsGX
I transferred the Lexus/Toyota 6500 lb. tow hitch, part #PT228-60540 from my 05 to my 06 GX470. It uses 4 bolts on each frame rail and 4 bolts right in the center of the hitch where a trailer would hook up. And yes, the tow hook gets removed and then replaced in the same location. Its a very easy installation. Even the wiring is simple. I don't believe any of the off brands use 12 bolts to secure the hitch to the vehicle. Look here for installation instructions.
http://www.lexus-parts.com/GX470_tow.pdf

But first make sure a tow hitch can be installed on a GX with the KDSS. I thought I read where the 2 are not compatible.

I noticed that the other 2 off brand hitches are rated at 5,000 lbs. No doubt due to them mounting with only 6 vs 12 for the Lexus hitch.
can you use that hitch with the kdss?
Old 12-09-05, 02:19 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by Kash
can you use that hitch with the kdss?
Lexus doesn't recommend any towing be done or any tow hitch is authorized for a GX470 equipped with the KDSS or Sport Package. That was one big reason why I didn't get the KDSS on my must have color Blizzard Pearl 06 GX470. I wanted the tow hitch package.
Old 12-09-05, 03:24 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Why are KDSS and towing not compatible?

Lexus doesn't recommend any towing be done or any tow hitch is authorized for a GX470 equipped with the KDSS or Sport Package. That was one big reason why I didn't get the KDSS on my must have color Blizzard Pearl 06 GX470. I wanted the tow hitch package.
I don't tow and did not in the least care for the GX' handling w/o KDSS. NIght and day difference, at least to me. Whats the big deal with towing and KDSS? Can NOTHING be towed? Ever?
Old 12-09-05, 04:18 PM
r210
Driver School Candidate

Default hmmm....

I have an 05 w/kdss,sports package that I specifically bought for towing. Where did you hear this?
Just doesn't make any sense.
Old 12-09-05, 05:36 PM
LexusTech
Rookie

That I don't believe. A friend's fiance has a 05 with KDSS,they bought a tow hitch later from the dealer she purchased the truck from.
Old 12-09-05, 05:57 PM
gswilder
Driver School Candidate

Default KDSS & Towing

I have read some conflicting info on the internet about KDSS and Towing. However, you CAN order the towing package from the factory when you order a GX470 with KDSS.

I plan to hook mine up. Just can't believe you have a nice big V8 SUV and cannot tow with it.

Anyone have any other hard details on this issue?

Thanks///

Quick Reply: 2006 Hitch Install - I am still Confused