GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Side mirrors - "stuck"

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-05, 02:59 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Side mirrors - "stuck"

Hi Guys,

It's my turn now to experience the "stuck" rear tilt mirror.

Symptoms:

1. When the GX is put into reverse the passenger side mirror tilts down about 2 or 3 degrees and gets stuck, normally it should auto tilt to about 12~ 15 degrees

2. When the GX is put in the DRIVE or PARK, the mirror does not come back to preset position.

Solution:
1. Keep hitting the preset position L1 or L2 and eventually after the 3rd or 4th press of the L1/L2 button the mirror is back in it's PROPER position
2. I then switch the mirror adjust position to the center (OFF) position to disable AUTO Tilt.

Does anyone know if there is a TSB# for this issue and/or know the reason/cause of this mirror tilt failure?

Thank you!
Old 12-04-05, 05:41 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

er... BUMP.... really really like to get info on this, if anyone has it...

Thanks!
Old 12-04-05, 08:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Didnt someone on this forum had the smae problem, all he did was run the mirror up and down thru it range and that fix the problem.

Good Luck
Old 12-04-05, 03:43 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
Hi Guys,

Symptoms:

1. When the GX is put into reverse the passenger side mirror tilts down about 2 or 3 degrees and gets stuck, normally it should auto tilt to about 12~ 15 degrees

2. When the GX is put in the DRIVE or PARK, the mirror does not come back to preset position.

Solution:
1. Keep hitting the preset position L1 or L2 and eventually after the 3rd or 4th press of the L1/L2 button the mirror is back in it's PROPER position
2. I then switch the mirror adjust position to the center (OFF) position to disable AUTO Tilt.

Does anyone know if there is a TSB# for this issue and/or know the reason/cause of this mirror tilt failure?

Thank you!
time for a new mirror
Old 12-05-05, 07:42 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Hi G-man,

Running the mirror up and down is only a short term fix, it will initially work well for a few hours but afterwards, it will get stuck again. You're right absolutely and that was the first thing I thought of when it happened to me... LOVE this forum!!!!!

Koolaid,

Although covered by warranty, I don't think that will "fix" the problem because it will eventually come back anyway. That's why I was hoping someone here actually was able to PINPOINT the exact nature of the problem so at:

a.) I could fix it myself, instead of wasting time to visit dealer (if possible)
b.) knowing what the problem was, can it be prevented? (proper lubrication, protecting it against water, etc...)

Thank you in advance!
Old 12-05-05, 09:16 AM
Joel888
Driver

Hi G-man,

Running the mirror up and down is only a short term fix, it will initially work well for a few hours but afterwards, it will get stuck again. You're right absolutely and that was the first thing I thought of when it happened to me... LOVE this forum!!!!!

Koolaid,

Although covered by warranty, I don't think that will "fix" the problem because it will eventually come back anyway. That's why I was hoping someone here actually was able to PINPOINT the exact nature of the problem so at:

a.) I could fix it myself, instead of wasting time to visit dealer (if possible)
b.) knowing what the problem was, can it be prevented? (proper lubrication, protecting it against water, etc...)

Thank you in advance!
Lonewolf,

I have exactly the same problem with my mirrors too. It has become quite annoying since this discourage us to use the auto tilt feature when backing up. It is a nice feature since we can see the curb, etc...but even if I tried to run the mirrors up and down thru its range, it is just a very short term fix.

I am hoping next time when I bring it to Lexus for services, they can lubricate it or something so I can use auto tilt.

If anyone know of any long term fix, pls let us know. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-05, 10:27 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My right side mirror had this problem

My right side mirror had this problem after going through the car wash. I was going to go into the dealership to have it fixed when it suddenly started working again. I checked it out myself and here is what happens. If you manually set the mirror to look to far away from the car it cannot rotate down when you put the shifter into reverse. So I turned the mirror inwards facing the side of the car more and now the mirror works flawless. I think what happened was the car wash guys must of moved the mirror while wiping it dry causing it to move to far away from the car. If you check the range of motion of the mirrors you will see that moving the mirros laterally to far causes them to not rotate down in auto tilt mode.
Old 12-05-05, 10:42 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Hi Guys,

Symptoms:

Solution:

Thank you!

You do know that the drivers side mirror doesn't tilt down as far as the passenger side does.
Just checking.
Old 12-05-05, 10:58 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Hi Bob,

Yes, I'm well aware of this issue even from day one! Thanks for the reminder though... The issue is the mirror doesn't come back to the PRESET (MEMORIZED) drive position when it goes into AUTO TILT mode. I would have to MANUALLY put the GX back in PARK and hit the L1 button repeatedly to get it back to the correct position.

or

When I put it into reverse, the PASSENGER side mirror tils ONLY about 2 ~ 3 degress down when I KNOW it needs to tilt at least another 8~10 degress more (it used to do this), I would have to MANUALLY tilt it the rest of the way down...

Tony,

Good catch...! I had thought I manually adjusted the mirror, because do have FULL range of the mirror via remote control, if the mirror were pushed out then it wouldn't tilt down at all... I'll have to try it again later when I get home! Hopefully this will have fixed the issue!!!
Old 12-05-05, 05:43 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Hi G-man,

Koolaid,

Thank you in advance!
sorry i could of said the side mirror assy. its the fix. its common for either of the 2 to go bad
1 the gears
2 the position sensors
Old 12-05-05, 06:43 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Hi Kool,

Thanks for the info, it just doesn't make sense how,why it would go bad so quickly...? I have my GX GARAGED most of the time and on weekend jaunts only with the family.... I'm hoping this isnt the case of a bad Mirror Assembly sensors. I don't think it's the gears motor as I can control them FULL range via remote control...
Old 12-09-05, 07:00 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

i had this problem a couple of months ago.. my gx is also garaged.. but i think that doesnt have anything to do with it.. it was weird becuase it happned after i got my car back from the dealer so i thought they did something to it .. but just have them order you a new mirror assembly and they swap out the whole thing..

i guess its just an anoyance going to the dealer but they'll fix it under warantee
Old 12-10-05, 06:00 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Guess, I'm going to setup and appointment with the daeal really REALLY soon...

Thanks everyone...!
Old 12-10-05, 06:55 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

I had this problem on my LX, they called it a lazy mirror or something. They replaced it for free under warranty and the problem hasnt returned in over a year. The mirror if i recall was over 1000.
Old 12-10-05, 01:50 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by lexusls430
I had this problem on my LX, they called it a lazy mirror or something. They replaced it for free under warranty and the problem hasnt returned in over a year. The mirror if i recall was over 1000.
The replacement price for the entire side view mirror assembly for the GX470 is about $300.00. Not bad considering what most other side view mirrors cost.

Quick Reply: Side mirrors - "stuck"