GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Disable Tire Pressure Sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-16, 09:01 PM
GXWarrior
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cut blue wire and I still get a flashing light and verified it's wire #6 what should l do next ?
Old 09-19-16, 08:25 AM
bobemack
Driver School Candidate

Default Disabling the TPMS GX 470

Here are my previous instructions:
Use a snap clamp and fabricate a ground lead wire with a loop connector. Place both wires in the crimper and squeeze it closed. Take the new ground wire and touch it to the threaded stud nearby. Do this while the key is in the on position. You can actually watch the indicator light go out if it's a good ground. Note that after you cut the wire the light will stay steadily on and not blink. That way you know you cut the right wire. If the light still blinks you may have cut the wrong one.

Now listen up guys. Listen UP!!!!!

1 - OK so you've cut the blue wire, good.
2 - Peel back some of the tape on the harness so you can have about an inch
or two of the blue wire free to work with.
3 - Put the box and white plug with all the wires back together.
4 - Go to the auto parts store and find the electrical aisle. (Bring your 10 year old daughter with you so she can help you with her formative shopping skills. Maybe just send her into the store alone because from what I've been reading I think she'll be more successful at the WHOLE task at hand.)
5 - Buy the smallest amount of wire (save money) with the fewest amount of strands in it you can find for use in automobile wiring.
6 - Don't leave the store yet. Buy a small box of connectors that can connect to the wire you just selected a few moments ago. The connector should be the type that is round and flat with a hole (AN EYELET) that can be put on the threaded post at the fire wall under the glove box. This connector should have a vinyl coated stem where the wire is inserted and smashed (gently smashed) with a hammer on the sidewalk to affix the wire and connector firmly together.
7 - Don't leave the store yet. Have your daughter grab some connectors which can accommodate two wires inserted (WITHOUT EVEN STRIPPING THE WIRES - wow, amazing stuff, huh?) and a little metal guillotine that is squeezed with a pair of pliers to connect the metal strands inside the wires. These connectors should also have an exterior "door" that is then closed (snapped) over the completed crimping.
8 - Buy or shoplift the items you daughter has procured in the electrical aisle.
9 - Drive home. Use the GPS if you forgot where home is.
10 - Don't be offended by my reference to your 10 year old daughter. From what I've read you should never have attempted this modification.
11 - Now that you're home, cut off a 14 inch piece of the wire you bought and strip
one half inch of the coating off at one end. Twist the bare strands so they can be inserted into one of the eyelet connectors you just bought (or stole). Lay the assembled wire and eyelet down on the driveway and give it a firm smack with a hammer to crimp the vinyl section of the eyelet onto the 14 inch piece of wire. If done properly you have now fabricated a wire that can be used to ground the circuit.
12 - OK, now, crawl under the glove-box with the ground wire you've fabricated and one of the guillotine connectors your daughter picked out for you. Place both the UNSTRIPPED end of the ground wire and the UNSTRIPPED blue wire from the harness into the guillotine connector and crimp it so as to connect the two wires. Snap closed the little "door" on the connector. Place the eyelet end of the fabricated ground wire on the threaded stud nearby and the light will permanently go OUT (turn the ignition key to the "on" position without starting the car for this test).
You'll need a nut the same size as the one on the stud to sandwich the eyelet and obtain a good ground. The nut is metric, so take it off and go to a hardware store and have your daughter go in to the hardware store and buy one the same size.
Go home (GPS again) and affix the original nut on the stud the way it was. Put the eyelet on the stud. Put the new nut on top of the eyelet and tighten it onto the stud. Put the cover back on under the glove-box and take your daughter out for ice cream. She deserves it. No ice cream for you.
13 - Thank me.
Old 09-19-16, 01:12 PM
GXWarrior
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Bob, however when I did cut the Blue wire the light did not go solid as mentioned, mine still flashes for 1 minute before staying solid. I have attached the wire and eyelet and have tried many studs frame for ground and still no matter what I touch the light stays on. I have followed the directions and plugged connector to the TPMS box with wire cut and still no light change.
So either my ground isn't good or for the 07 it isn't the blue wire...
Old 09-20-16, 07:59 AM
bobemack
Driver School Candidate

Go to the beginning of this forum and ask ANGELSLEX.
He know's his stuff. He may know of a change to the schematic.
I have to doubt there's a difference but you never know. I see people with 2006 that had no problem.
Maybe it's the 2007. Are you sure you're grounding the correct end?
The wire should come out of the harness, not the connector panel.
That's my first guess as to what your problem may be. Also make sure the
wire you stuffed back into the connector box isn't touching anything.
When I cut the wire it went steady on. I think I taped the end coming out of the box
before closing it back up and then started working on the harness end.
Old 09-20-16, 11:55 AM
GXWarrior
Driver School Candidate

Thanks yes I taped off end of connector and grounded harness end, unlike others when I cut #6 or Blue wire light did not go solid, it still continues to flash with wire cut.
I will ask ANGELSLEX
Old 09-20-16, 12:44 PM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

read and comprehend what you've just read
Old 01-25-17, 08:38 PM
burtoncr
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Grounding the blue wire (harness side) does not work on my 08. It would seem they changed the circuit or wire colors for the 07+.

I have a diagram of the 04 connector from the manual and it has two rows of 8 contacts. My connector has two rows of 6 contacts. Most of the wire colors are the same, but they are not in the same connector positions.
Old 01-25-17, 10:04 PM
burtoncr
Rookie

Boom! Figured it out. Reading some of the other forums (T4R, Tacomaworld) I saw people having the same problem with newer Toyotas as the 07+ GX, ie grounding the blue wire going to the dash indicator light (or in their case it is pink/black) did not work. So one or two people tried connecting the blue wire to 5V and it worked. I pulled out my multimeter and confirmed the green/red stripe wire right next to the blue wire on the same connector was 5V (double confirmed by the 04 connector diagram I have as well - it's the Tire Pressure receiver power source). I tapped (I didn't cut) 5V off the green/red stripe wire, connected it to the blue wire going to the dash and the light went off!

TLDR: For the 07+ GX instead of grounding the blue wire you tap 5V off the green/red stripe wire right next to it in the connector and connect them.

Last edited by burtoncr; 01-25-17 at 10:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
clag (01-27-18)
Old 01-25-17, 10:40 PM
CebuGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing this for the 07+ GX owners. If possible can you show a pic of this? I'm more a visual learner. Thanks
Old 01-26-17, 07:53 PM
burtoncr
Rookie

Sorry, didn't take pics and it's all taped / wrapped up.
Old 02-26-17, 06:19 AM
Siven
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Now this is progress, I've got an 08 and the prior year tweaks no works. Burtoncr Is your TPMS box red?
Old 02-26-17, 07:42 PM
burtoncr
Rookie

Originally Posted by Siven
Now this is progress, I've got an 08 and the prior year tweaks no works. Burtoncr Is your TPMS box red?
Yes it is red
Old 03-06-17, 12:09 PM
JLee50
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have Techstream, you can remove the device IDs for the TPMS sensors and effectively disable TPMS monitoring. Someone on the GXOR group on Facebook has done this for the secondary TPMS setting to avoid the TPMS light from activating while he's aired down while off-road.
Old 06-03-17, 05:57 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by burtoncr
Boom! Figured it out. Reading some of the other forums (T4R, Tacomaworld) I saw people having the same problem with newer Toyotas as the 07+ GX, ie grounding the blue wire going to the dash indicator light (or in their case it is pink/black) did not work. So one or two people tried connecting the blue wire to 5V and it worked. I pulled out my multimeter and confirmed the green/red stripe wire right next to the blue wire on the same connector was 5V (double confirmed by the 04 connector diagram I have as well - it's the Tire Pressure receiver power source). I tapped (I didn't cut) 5V off the green/red stripe wire, connected it to the blue wire going to the dash and the light went off!

TLDR: For the 07+ GX instead of grounding the blue wire you tap 5V off the green/red stripe wire right next to it in the connector and connect them.
Burton- any updates? Hope the 5V tapping is still working to disable the light.
Old 06-05-17, 09:06 PM
burtoncr
Rookie

Originally Posted by NTH
Burton- any updates? Hope the 5V tapping is still working to disable the light.
Still works fine. I actually wired in a switch so I could go back to using the stock tires / rims with pressure sensors. I verified that I can switch back and forth and everything works as it should.

Quick Reply: Disable Tire Pressure Sensors?