GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Any thoughts as to why HID lights are not standard?

Old 11-10-05, 08:24 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any thoughts as to why HID lights are not standard?

Seems puzzling at the least. Why would Lexus' mid range 50K SUV not have HID lights?? Makes zero sense to me. Any thoughts/ideas? Put simply, if I didn't read about the xenondepot.com lights on this forum I would NOT consider the vehicle.
Old 11-10-05, 09:27 PM
Tengbt
Driver School Candidate

you should be glad it's an option on the GX. if you look at the RX board (factory HID option), you'll see numerous threads of stolen HID's, especially in nyc. these guys know exactly which vehicles to look for, and RX is a common target. just check out ebay and see how many RX hid's are for sale...

In the beginning, i too was surprise it wasn't standard or even a factory option on the gx. now, i feel better that it isn't, and can always go the x-depot route.
Old 11-11-05, 06:07 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Interesting- Do the RX lights fit any other vehicle? (m)

Originally Posted by Tengbt
you should be glad it's an option on the GX. if you look at the RX board (factory HID option), you'll see numerous threads of stolen HID's, especially in nyc. these guys know exactly which vehicles to look for, and RX is a common target. just check out ebay and see how many RX hid's are for sale...

In the beginning, i too was surprise it wasn't standard or even a factory option on the gx. now, i feel better that it isn't, and can always go the x-depot route.
Not seeing the point of stealing lights is they won't fit anything else. Best way to deal with it? String up the first few actually caught......
Old 11-11-05, 07:52 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you can use the bulbs,ballasts, and projectors from the RX lights on just about any car.
Old 11-11-05, 04:46 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the reason for the hid's not being standard, is the current height of the bulbs are too high for xeon bulbs.. driving around you will notice in a normal car you blind the person infront of you.. if you ever see the beam spread of a qx you'll see that it goes straight down.. kinda pointless if ur going off road or wanna see anything farr ahead.. so they decieded they'd just keep the height and normal pattern and use h11's
Old 11-11-05, 07:11 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Interesting- but then how do all the HID kits work? (m)

Originally Posted by Kash
the reason for the hid's not being standard, is the current height of the bulbs are too high for xeon bulbs.. driving around you will notice in a normal car you blind the person infront of you.. if you ever see the beam spread of a qx you'll see that it goes straight down.. kinda pointless if ur going off road or wanna see anything farr ahead.. so they decieded they'd just keep the height and normal pattern and use h11's
Are there issues w/ blinding oncoming drivers to the point where you get flashed? Havn't seen this in the HID threads, but other opinions/experiences are welcom.
As an aside, my wife's Toyota Sienna has HID low beams and we've never been flashed Seems like they just plain 'ol cheaped out.......
Old 11-11-05, 07:52 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JWS3
Are there issues w/ blinding oncoming drivers to the point where you get flashed? Havn't seen this in the HID threads, but other opinions/experiences are welcom.
As an aside, my wife's Toyota Sienna has HID low beams and we've never been flashed Seems like they just plain 'ol cheaped out.......
Lmao, I think a Sienna has a bit less ground clearance than the GX.
Old 11-14-05, 08:21 PM
Donger
Driver

Originally Posted by Kash
That's what my dealer told me also. I had HID's on my BMW X5 and they pointed down. I took it in for repair as it was so odd, but that is the way they are suppose to be. I found them fairly useless on dark winding back roads. I would always have to use the high beams. I find the GX without the HID's does a better job lighting up the road than my X5 did.
Old 11-14-05, 08:24 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default So-- Will be be getting the HID lights??

Originally Posted by Donger
That's what my dealer told me also. I had HID's on my BMW X5 and they pointed down. I took it in for repair as it was so odd, but that is the way they are suppose to be. I found them fairly useless on dark winding back roads. I would always have to use the high beams. I find the GX without the HID's does a better job lighting up the road than my X5 did.
I REALLY like them and will fit ASAP upon delivery. I dunno--cars w/o them seem "cheap". Maybe this isn;t fair, but thats how I feel.
Old 11-14-05, 10:45 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by JWS3
I REALLY like them and will fit ASAP upon delivery. I dunno--cars w/o them seem "cheap". Maybe this isn;t fair, but thats how I feel.
You're not the only one JWS3. This is one of the things we want on the wishlist for the GX "should have"
I don't agree with height reasonings because other big suvs Escalades, RR, Navigators? have them.
When I'm across from them, I don't get blinded unlike the aftermarket purple 10k or the ones with big lifted truck who forgot to lower them when they put hids on.
Old 11-15-05, 12:07 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the very rare occasion in which aftermarket is better than OEM.

I installed XenonDepots and these are the advantages I see:

1. The color output of the aftermarket 6000k looks very upscale.
2. The output is as good if not better than my RX w/ OEM HID.
3. The projectors on the GX are aimed higher which means more is lit up.
4. You can't even tell it is aftermarket, it fits so well and looks so clean.
5. By not getting the OEM kit, you saved money on the mandatory autoleveling gimmick that they must install.
Old 11-15-05, 12:30 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Follow up for Yaro1-- Have you ever noticed (m)

Originally Posted by yaro1
This is the very rare occasion in which aftermarket is better than OEM.

I installed XenonDepots and these are the advantages I see:

1. The color output of the aftermarket 6000k looks very upscale.
2. The output is as good if not better than my RX w/ OEM HID.
3. The projectors on the GX are aimed higher which means more is lit up.
4. You can't even tell it is aftermarket, it fits so well and looks so clean.
5. By not getting the OEM kit, you saved money on the mandatory autoleveling gimmick that they must install.
anyone flashing you, etc. in a "you are blinding me" kind of way? Also, why did you go with the 6000K units instead of the brighter overall 4300 units?

Thanks--

Jim
Old 11-15-05, 08:42 PM
Donger
Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I don't agree with height reasonings because other big suvs Escalades, RR, Navigators? have them.
When I'm across from them, I don't get blinded unlike the aftermarket purple 10k or the ones with big lifted truck who forgot to lower them when they put hids on.
Anyone know if the HID's on those SUV's point down?
Old 11-16-05, 11:55 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Donger
Anyone know if the HID's on those SUV's point down?
They point down because when they are behind me, they don't light up the whole cabin or shine right into my rear view mirror.
Old 11-16-05, 06:41 PM
steevr
Pole Position

I've installed the 4300K kit on our GX and the 6000K kit on my in-law's GX. I didn't touch the height on my in-law's and they never get flashed. I adjusted ours a half turn on the adjustment **** to lower them just a tad. They're perfect. I also like the brighter output from our 4300k kit than the in-law's 6000k kit. I've driven our car in front of my wife's GX and no problem with blinding light. The kit with the projectors provides better light output than the factory HID's on my RX. The XD kit is the bomb.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any thoughts as to why HID lights are not standard?