GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Looking for a Clunk update!

Old 11-14-05, 08:57 PM
TexGX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I had my oppointment today. After the service guy told me there was nothing else he could do, I asked for the number to customer service. He suggested that we relubicate the spines. I had a little time so I agreed. While I was waiting, I ran into my sells person. I explained the problem and told him that I had just filed a complaint with customer service. He told me to hold on and he see what he could do. After about an hour and half the service guy told me that they had found a new TSB on a new way to lubricate the drive shaft and it should solve the problem. It felt fine on the way home, but we will see in a few miles if it comes back. I still have the complaint with Lexus and will put it on hold until the clunk comes back.

TexGX
Old 11-14-05, 10:42 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexGX
Well I had my oppointment today. After the service guy told me there was nothing else he could do, I asked for the number to customer service. He suggested that we relubicate the spines. I had a little time so I agreed. While I was waiting, I ran into my sells person. I explained the problem and told him that I had just filed a complaint with customer service. He told me to hold on and he see what he could do. After about an hour and half the service guy told me that they had found a new TSB on a new way to lubricate the drive shaft and it should solve the problem. It felt fine on the way home, but we will see in a few miles if it comes back. I still have the complaint with Lexus and will put it on hold until the clunk comes back.

TexGX
That's good news for you and I am glad it's working out for now. It really is amazing how dealers really don't go that extra effort until you complain. How convenient of them to find the TSB after you complained. If you did not complain the outcome may have been different.
Old 11-14-05, 10:43 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Donger
A little off topic, but there is a problem with the BMW transmissions and X-Drive - there is a software fix for this - at least for the '05/06 X5's (which use the same X-Drive as your 5er). Some of the early '05's got pretty violent with the clunk.
Hey Donger, thanks again for the upate and I'll look into this. It seems I am not getting this as often, but I really shouldn't be getting this at all. Thanks again.
Old 11-15-05, 04:32 PM
cyberflip9
Driver School Candidate

Hmm, I wonder if there's a class action lawsuit in the works, because I'm really tired of the run-around. I should've gotten a Range Rover or X5.
Old 11-15-05, 05:32 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

re: I should've gotten a Range Rover

Even with the "clunk" doesn't the GX slam dunk on the Range Rover as far as dependabilty-hours in the repair shop?
Old 11-15-05, 08:49 PM
Donger
Driver

And while not as bad as the RR, the X5 is in the shop a lot too. And they clunk - or used to until a transmission software update came out.

Hmmmm - maybe that's what the GX needs because it does feel like sometimes the transmission hasn't finished downshifting - like it is popping into first gear, causing a clunk. Don't know.

Anyway, I'll take the little clunk in my GX over the monthly visit to the shop in my old X5 any day.
Old 11-16-05, 11:42 AM
LvMyGX
Driver School Candidate

I have had no problems since they replaced mine (knock on wood). It was done about 16k miles ago.

I hear alot of stories from people and I am a firm believer that alot ties into your dealer and customer service. We have "assigned" CS reps and once mine was on vacation and I had to use someone else it is was totally different. I complained and I had so many people calling leaving me messages of appoligies. My guy is great!
Old 11-16-05, 02:33 PM
robert55
Driver School Candidate

Hello, we have a new 2006 GX (appx 3 weeks now) and I too noticed the "clunk". It only seems to happen when the AIR-CONDITIONING is turned on. I assumed it was from the motor of the air-conditioning when the engine is idle. I have only experienced the cluck when I come to a stop after driving at higher speeds with the air-conditioning on...this does not occur when the air is off. Therefore, I assume this clunk is from the air-conditioning!...and yes, it does feel as if you have been rear-ended. The first time I experienced the clunk, I immediately looked in my rear-view mirror to see who hit me...nobody was there. Good luck in you research!!
Old 11-16-05, 03:00 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Hmmmm, might be some turth to that. Now that it is winter time here in New England, I dont feel the cluck anymore.
Old 11-16-05, 04:19 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by robert55
Hello, we have a new 2006 GX (appx 3 weeks now) and I too noticed the "clunk". It only seems to happen when the AIR-CONDITIONING is turned on. I assumed it was from the motor of the air-conditioning when the engine is idle. I have only experienced the cluck when I come to a stop after driving at higher speeds with the air-conditioning on...this does not occur when the air is off. Therefore, I assume this clunk is from the air-conditioning!...and yes, it does feel as if you have been rear-ended. The first time I experienced the clunk, I immediately looked in my rear-view mirror to see who hit me...nobody was there. Good luck in you research!!
I haven't noticed it on my truck but sometimes, an engine is designed to run at a little higher RPM when the A/C is on. That's a possible explanation for feeling the "clunk" only when the air is on.
Old 11-16-05, 06:34 PM
steevr
Pole Position

We've got it now too on our late build '04. Didn't get it until 8k miles and now have 10k on it. Clunks only a few times a week, and usually at the first light after getting of the highway. We'll have the dealer check it out when we get the oil change at 12k.
Old 11-23-05, 01:04 PM
MajorHavoc
Driver School Candidate

I have the "clunk" too!
Along with that, terrible customer service fron Lexus!!!
I am not a happy camper!!!
Old 11-24-05, 05:08 AM
mlbpbg
Rookie

Default Clunk Fix

Spoke with the service department and they say they are aware of the problem and it can be fixed easily. Seems that the teflon coated splines in the drive shaft are not seating properly at times. A little shaving and the problem is solved. At my 10K service the fix will be performed. I will post results after that. Who knows, maybe there is a dealership that follows the TSB's
Old 11-24-05, 06:16 AM
CaptnPete
Driver School Candidate

The 'clunk' is related to the rear drive shaft. It has nothing to do with A/C, suspension or other. I had it on my 03 and it was worked on twice. The last time it was repaired, the drive shaft was replaced with a new version..

The part number for the shaft is :37110-6A480.

The work was performed on 1/31/05 @ 15178 miles. Today I have 23276 miles on the car.
There has been no more 'clunk' since then.

The service order reads: "Still has back lash type feeling when at almost a complete stop. Please perform upgrade TSIB for this concern. Replaced drive shaft. Modified new propeller shaft."

Total labor was 4. 4 hours. This indicates that 'modifying' the new shaft is time consuming, since the splines were lapped with valve grinding compound.

In summary I would like to say that there appears to be a repair for the clunk. It is too bad that some dealers prefer to ignore the Service Bulletins,
Old 11-24-05, 07:49 AM
MajorHavoc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CaptnPete
........The part number for the shaft is :37110-6A480........The service order reads: "Still has back lash type feeling when at almost a complete stop. Please perform upgrade TSIB for this concern. Replaced drive shaft. Modified new propeller shaft."

Total labor was 4. 4 hours. This indicates that 'modifying' the new shaft is time consuming, since the splines were lapped with valve grinding compound........,
That is very helpful info CaptnPete!! Thanks!!!

In my case, the dealer did replace the drive shaft a year ago. They must have used the same defective type that came in the car. And / or, maybe they did not lapp it properly!

Hopefully they will figure it out. They are coming next to pick up the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for a Clunk update!