GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-05, 09:28 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytime Running Lights

Has anyone found a safe way to turn off the daytime running lights?
Old 08-28-05, 04:38 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2004 Toyota Sequoia on which I disabled the daytime running lights. I am not sure if the Lexus GX 470 has the same layout, but it would be worth a look.

On the Sequoia, there is a connector located on the right side of the battery (looking at it from the front) between the battery and the side of the body. If you disconnect the two parts of this connector, it disables the driving lights but does not otherwise affect the operation of the vehicle lights.
Old 08-28-05, 05:07 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by CUMan
I have a 2004 Toyota Sequoia on which I disabled the daytime running lights. I am not sure if the Lexus GX 470 has the same layout, but it would be worth a look.

On the Sequoia, there is a connector located on the right side of the battery (looking at it from the front) between the battery and the side of the body. If you disconnect the two parts of this connector, it disables the driving lights but does not otherwise affect the operation of the vehicle lights.

Sounds good, any chance you can get a photo of this connection and post it here? Thanks+
Old 08-28-05, 05:43 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CUMan

when lookin at the engine bay. left of air box. there are relays. disconnect the bottom 1

or if u had the drl campaign. there is a grey box above the air box dissconnect that 1
Old 08-31-05, 07:35 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry I didn't respond to your request for photos. I don't check this particular forum very often.

Unfortunately, I still live in the stone age. All my cameras use film, and I don't have a way to do a picture for you.

From what Koolaidman said (and I believe he is a Lexus technician), it appears that the GX underhood layout is different from the Sequoia.

In my Sequoia, there is a gray plastic connector located by the battery . There are wires running to and from the connector. The connector can be separated into two parts, and this turns off the driving lights.
Old 09-01-05, 03:38 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by koolaidman
when lookin at the engine bay. left of air box. there are relays. disconnect the bottom 1

or if u had the drl campaign. there is a grey box above the air box dissconnect that 1
I just got my 05 GX this past Saturday. It was produced in 07/05. Any way to post a photo of the relay I need to disconnect?
Old 09-02-05, 07:28 PM
LexusTech
Rookie

Safest way is via scantool...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130594
You should be given a complimentary first service from your dealership,which includes a list of personal settings. The DRL bypass may not be on the paper listing you're given so you'll have to tell the service writer.
Old 09-02-05, 09:31 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BobsGX
I just got my 05 GX this past Saturday. It was produced in 07/05. Any way to post a photo of the relay I need to disconnect?
if i had 1 id show u but i dont
Old 09-02-05, 09:31 PM
Mr.ES
Driver School Candidate

Why would you want to turn off the DRL'S? They decrease the chances of you having a wreck, even if you are a safe driver.
Old 09-02-05, 11:54 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.ES
Why would you want to turn off the DRL'S? They decrease the chances of you having a wreck, even if you are a safe driver.
Cuz those bulbs blow out like no tommarow.
Old 09-03-05, 06:36 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Cuz those bulbs blow out like no tommarow.
That's why now I have low beam on all the time.
Old 09-03-05, 07:54 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr.ES
Because I hate those things.
Old 09-04-05, 11:16 PM
Azn_Pride
Driver School Candidate

What exactly does day time running light do? I've heard alot of people talked about them...but i just nevered bothered to ask what they were.

calvin
Old 09-05-05, 02:37 AM
blightle
Driver School Candidate

Default Can you use headlights as daytime running lights

Does anyone know if a Lexus tech can reprogram the vehicle to use the headlights as the daytime lights instead of the amber signal lights.
Old 09-05-05, 04:44 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Blightle,

I thought about it and I too was going to run the Daytime through the headlights instead of the amber, you don't need to have anyone reporgram anything if this is what you want to do. Because all you do, is leave the headlights in the on position. When turned on the AMBER lights automatically shut off.

Problem - If you have Xenon lights installed, you run the risk of "burning" these out now much more quickly than if you didn't have them on as Daytime running lights.

Since, I have the Xenons installed, I've decided, that replacing the amber bulbs is much cheaper than replacing the H11 Xenon ones.

As an aside, if I didn't get the Xenon bulbs, I would have kepts my headlights on, instead of the Amber ones and that's what I initially did for the first month before I got my Xenon kit installed...!

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights