GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus of Greenwich & Westport CT

Old 07-25-05, 12:08 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Lexus of Greenwich & Westport CT

These two dealer's service departments do something that's amazingly annoying. They change my license plate brackets to theirs each time I go in for service.

I have a 04 GX470 and a 06 GS430 and I continue to remove the license plate brackets, and they continue to put theirs back on.

I cannot adequately explain how much this irritates me. The gall of the dealer assuming I want to drive around advertising their company.

Does anyone else have a dealer that does this, and if so does it bother you?
Old 07-25-05, 12:54 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by looknow12
These two dealer's service departments do something that's amazingly annoying. They change my license plate brackets to theirs each time I go in for service.

I have a 04 GX470 and a 06 GS430 and I continue to remove the license plate brackets, and they continue to put theirs back on.

I cannot adequately explain how much this irritates me. The gall of the dealer assuming I want to drive around advertising their company.

Stupid question... Have you raised a stink (politely, of course) when they've done this? It seems like this is standard operating procedure (though it shouldn't be), and unless you tell them, they'll keep doing it. It's absolute BS...

I've heard of this happening to other people with other brands, but it has never happened to me. Interestingly, I'm about to bring my GX in for its 10k, and this will be the first time it doesn't have the dealer's brackets on it (I just removed them). I will not be happy if my $50+ worth of WeatherTech covers are removed without my permission.
Old 07-25-05, 01:09 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caha14
Stupid question... Have you raised a stink (politely, of course) when they've done this? It seems like this is standard operating procedure (though it shouldn't be), and unless you tell them, they'll keep doing it. It's absolute BS...

I've heard of this happening to other people with other brands, but it has never happened to me. Interestingly, I'm about to bring my GX in for its 10k, and this will be the first time it doesn't have the dealer's brackets on it (I just removed them). I will not be happy if my $50+ worth of WeatherTech covers are removed without my permission.
I have and they continue to do it. I guess it's the fact that they have a policy to do it which bothers me so much. And again, it's both dealers that do this.

Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly, VA does not do this BTW. I really miss them, they have such a great service center. I keep bouncing back and forth between Greenwich and Westport, and I'm really not happy with their general courtesy, and follow up.

On the flip side, my dad is used to Mercedes Benz service and now has a 400h. He couldn't say enough good things about how they handled him in Westport. So I guess it is what you're used to.

But back to the main point, license plate brackets and the gall of the dealer.
Old 07-25-05, 01:17 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Last time I went to Westport they must have checked the air pressure because the valve stem caps wouldn't come off by hand. In fact, they metal was all frayed and grinded off the caps like someone used a vice grip to get them off. This irritated me too because I never asked them to touch the pressure, but OK, if it's a liability thing, fine, but don't mar up my valve caps.
Old 07-25-05, 03:08 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

That's not right for them to do that.
Have you tried putting on the bracket with just LEXUS on it? They better not change this out then or it'll cost them
Old 07-25-05, 03:12 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe put 'DO NOT TOUCH' stickers on the license plate holders when you go in...

...I remember that a certain Toyota dealer in CA replaced our Camry's plate holders when we serviced with them back in the 80's...but didn't do that later on with another Toyota of ours.
Old 07-25-05, 06:06 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hartford, ct

its out of the way, but they are much better to deal with I am sure about that. Hoffman lexus.
Old 07-25-05, 06:52 PM
GXtreme
Driver School Candidate

I have and they continue to do it. I guess it's the fact that they have a policy to do it which bothers me so much. And again, it's both dealers that do this.

Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly, VA does not do this BTW. I really miss them, they have such a great service center. I keep bouncing back and forth between Greenwich and Westport, and I'm really not happy with their general courtesy, and follow up.

On the flip side, my dad is used to Mercedes Benz service and now has a 400h. He couldn't say enough good things about how they handled him in Westport. So I guess it is what you're used to.

But back to the main point, license plate brackets and the gall of the dealer.
Maybe they think they still own your GX...

Pohanka Lexus of Chantilly just raped me during my 10K service.
Old 07-25-05, 09:53 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Yes

Difeo (Bound Brook) did for a while but they got the message when I kept returning with them removed. Then I bought chrome Lexus holders so of course that stopped it completely.
Old 07-26-05, 09:10 AM
stl2chi
Rookie

Exclamation Madness!!!

Originally Posted by GXtreme

I cannot believe that any dealer would change the license frame!!!! Do you normally have a frame on your car? Or is it just the plate by itself.... Perhaps that is their reasoning.... Either way, they are over the line!!!

Speaking of 10K service.... How much was the "rape"? What is the normal expected price for a 10K service.... My wife is driving towards this mark rapidly...

thanks
STL2CHI
Old 07-26-05, 10:44 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GXtreme

Yup they're expensive. A really good web site feature would be to create a comparison chart of Lexus dealers and the rates they charge (using a grid of the different service intervals. Type in the zip code, and you get the three closest dealers, or you can add dealers manuals to compare.
Old 08-05-05, 05:16 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default License plate frames

ALL dealerships do it...I have a friend who bought her RX from my wife's dealership, but she lives near Westport so that's where they service it...they changed her frames twice until she told them "look, I bought the car from a friend and the least I can do is advertise the fact that I bought my car there, so just leave the plate frames alone" They told her the boss would not like it, and she said she didn't care they had no right to do it (she reminds them of it every service, but they have it written in her file now.

It is pretty rude considering how much some dealerships spend on those plate frames...most people wouldn't notice is what the dealership figures.
Old 08-07-05, 05:48 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Johnny Mo
ALL dealerships do it...I have a friend who bought her RX from my wife's dealership, but she lives near Westport so that's where they service it...they changed her frames twice until she told them "look, I bought the car from a friend and the least I can do is advertise the fact that I bought my car there, so just leave the plate frames alone" They told her the boss would not like it, and she said she didn't care they had no right to do it (she reminds them of it every service, but they have it written in her file now.

It is pretty rude considering how much some dealerships spend on those plate frames...most people wouldn't notice is what the dealership figures.
Additionally, I don't prefer the look of the frames Greenwich and Westport use. It's plastic with a aluminum colored paint covering. The letters are hideous. My plate's from out of state so it looks strange seeing this on it.

I go to the dealer with no bracket on it and they put one on. Quite frankly, I'd prefer they spend more focus on the service itself than replacing the bracket (granted it takes only a minute).
Old 08-07-05, 07:17 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Formally, in front of witnesses, Persent them with a $1000 Bill for the advertising of their dealership... Insist it will come off the top of their invoice. Dealers have lost this issue in court, check with a lawyer in your area. That stopped the "sticker and screw on plate" craze years back. They act as if the auto was theirs. If a dealer puts their name on your vehicle without your approval, they owe you .... Money stopped this practice once, money will do it again !
Old 08-07-05, 09:00 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tammy!
Invoice printed and ready to go!!! Thanks for the advice, that should STOP them from this absurd practice.