GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

10K Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-05, 05:37 PM
GXtreme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 10K Service

I just paid $294 big ones for my 10K service. What did I get?

oil/filter change
a/c filter change
tires rotated
front tires balanced
Check / Adjust Brakes
Truck wash
2 cuff marks on door
1 pencil mark on my nice leather seats.

The truck appears to even drive better after the service.

Tell me I did not get raped.
Old 07-20-05, 07:55 PM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I just got my 10k done

mine was only $110.......same laundry list (without the pencil and scuff marks)
Old 07-20-05, 08:31 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

there was a 10k service???
Old 07-21-05, 11:17 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

Yes, you did indeed get raped. I myself, could not sit down for a week after my 15K service. I plan on procurring a chastity belt before going in for my 30K.
Old 07-21-05, 03:07 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 10k cost me 120.00

Ive got a 15k service coming up with warped rotors to be machined. Im already setting aside 600 bucks for this one.
Old 07-21-05, 05:27 PM
SacKen
Driver

Originally Posted by Tony
Ive got a 15k service coming up with warped rotors to be machined. Im already setting aside 600 bucks for this one.
Mine were warped too. Dealer machined them at my 20k for no charge. If your dealer charges you, then you are getting gang raped by the prison football team.
Old 07-25-05, 09:41 AM
98Nav400
Driver

I just had mine done this weekend. They looked everything over and said that the only thing I would need is an oil change--everything else including the tires were not at the point were they need to be serviced/rotated. They said that at the 15k I would want to rotate (they were done at 5k) change out the AC filter and the like but the current condition of these items didn't warrant them to be serviced.

Entire service ----- $55.23 wash & vac included.
Old 07-25-05, 10:58 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Just did my 15k service

Its gonna cost me 460 bucks for my 15k service what did you guys pay?
Old 07-25-05, 06:34 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GXtreme

oil/filter change
a/c filter change
tires rotated
front tires balanced
Check / Adjust Brakes
Truck wash
2 cuff marks on door

hmm adjusted brakes. thats a first
Old 07-25-05, 07:05 PM
GXtreme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by koolaidman
hmm adjusted brakes. thats a first
yea... believe or not. maybe I am paying for the previledge to bring the GX in "7 days a week 5:30am to 11:00pm" for service.
Old 07-28-05, 03:11 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GXtreme

oil/filter change
a/c filter change
tires rotated
front tires balanced
Check / Adjust Brakes
Truck wash
2 cuff marks on door

Mine is scheduled for the 10K service next week. The service representative at the dealer quoted me $249, which strikes me as on the high-side. I'm not thrilled about paying this much money but whatch gonna do?
Old 07-28-05, 06:48 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Mine is scheduled for the 10K service next week. The service representative at the dealer quoted me $249, which strikes me as on the high-side. I'm not thrilled about paying this much money but whatch gonna do?
Here is what you do. You go in and ask for a oil/filter change and the tire rotation, (why would you need the front tires balanced unless you have a problem) with the Oil and filter change they check everything that is required to be checked. It should cost about $50. Now your airconditioning filter is located behind the glove box and is easy to change. Only needs to be changed once a year. Get the filter from Lexus or Auto Zone for $15-25 and take a screw driver and do it yourself. I just saved you $185 Just a suggestion. Anytime you have your Lexus serviced look in the maintance guide and get the price for the things that are actually "DONE" versus "CHECKED" NEVER EVER ask for a "SERVICE" or they will give you a screw job. Oil/Filter changes take care of all of the items that are required to be checked based on the maintaince guide and your warranty. I learned this from a Lexus service advisor.

PS- the brakes on the GX470 and every other Lexus are self adjusting. They adjust when you back-up and put your brakes on. What a bunch of BS, they are trying to steal your money. I know these service advisors laugh at the customers behind their back. They think how did these people get the money to buy this expensive car since they aren't very smart

Last edited by PitBull; 07-28-05 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-28-05, 06:54 AM
Quant
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
....I'm not thrilled about paying this much money but whatch gonna do?
An oil change and a tire rotation can be done at any reputable shop. If you are paranoid of those shops, you could even go to a Toyota dealership since they know how to do an Oil&Lube on a 4Runner, and will do it much cheaper.

You do risk ticking off your Lexus dealer if you do this, and they might not go the few extra steps if and when you ever need that - that might be the only disadvantage of doing this.

A/C filter change is one item for which you might need Lexus, but even on that, I think I remember seeing a thread here that talked about changing that filter yourself. Also, if most of your driving is in the city, you might not need the filter change that often.

I plan on going to the jiffy-lube or Toyota for the lube-oil, but still taking it to the dealer for the other regular service - thus every alternate service.
Old 07-28-05, 07:59 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Quant
I plan on going to the jiffy-lube or Toyota for the lube-oil, but still taking it to the dealer for the other regular service - thus every alternate service.
Don't use Jiffy-lube or you will be struck by lighting. They use the cheapest filters and oil they can get. Use Toyota same oil and same filter that is used at Lexus just often less money.
Old 07-29-05, 05:33 AM
jdepiro
Driver School Candidate

Default I paid $360!

I live in Northern Virginia and I feel like I really did get raped. My 10,000 mile cost $360 So I took my Lexus to another service station (Non Lexus Dealer) to get the 15,000 mile maint. and it was $216.00

Here is the deal - I asked. Each station charges a standard hourly rate for service. In this case, they were 190 hr. They then look up in the computer all of the recommended items that have to be done for the service and apply an estimated time to do each one of those. Most shops will say it will take 2.2 hours to do all of the recommended maint.

Tag on price for oil, filter and air filter and you are paying these outrageous rates.

The problem lies in the Recommended service and how they apply the time. How long does it take to inspect a bolt? Apparently, a while. I have had several service stations tell me that all of the stuff that is listed is really just a 3 min inspection and all they really do is rotate the tires and change the oil and filter.

I got frustrated at the service of these things and may be switching to BMW or Mercedes where they include the services for the lifetime of the car. It is a shame, because I do like the Lexus.

Quick Reply: 10K Service