GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

10K Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-05, 05:56 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JDepiro,

I feel your pain but speaking as a former BMW/Mercedes owner... The "lifetime" maintenance is just a bogus... Their recommedation for their warranty instead of 3k or 5k between maintenance is more like 15K ~ 20K, yes you do get "lifetime" maintenance it's not as often as you think...!!!! and it is no where NEAR what the recommended service options are.

They're take on this? Our engines/transmissions is based on a newly designed/better engineered product and we don't need to maintain our transmission/engines as the other inferior auto makers recommendation. In fact , the only maintenance that is required is just the oil change but that's only at 15K ~ 20K... "

Yes, I'm exagerating BUT not by much...

This weekend go to the BMW and Mercedes dealer ask them what the recommended "interval" is between maintenance...

Good Luck...
Old 07-29-05, 07:58 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdepiro
I live in Northern Virginia and I feel like I really did get raped. My 10,000 mile cost $360 So I took my Lexus to another service station (Non Lexus Dealer) to get the 15,000 mile maint. and it was $216.00

Here is the deal - I asked. Each station charges a standard hourly rate for service. In this case, they were 190 hr. They then look up in the computer all of the recommended items that have to be done for the service and apply an estimated time to do each one of those. Most shops will say it will take 2.2 hours to do all of the recommended maint.

Tag on price for oil, filter and air filter and you are paying these outrageous rates.

The problem lies in the Recommended service and how they apply the time. How long does it take to inspect a bolt? Apparently, a while. I have had several service stations tell me that all of the stuff that is listed is really just a 3 min inspection and all they really do is rotate the tires and change the oil and filter.

I got frustrated at the service of these things and may be switching to BMW or Mercedes where they include the services for the lifetime of the car. It is a shame, because I do like the Lexus.
You broke the code, you don't need to change anything. Next time your at the Lexus Dealer, ask for a list of the items they check for their normal oil/filter change then ask for a list of the items they check for a 15/30/60k service. Guess what they are the same. Now next time you need to have a service done, like the 30K miles service, you go in and ask for a oil/filter change and that you want the tires rotated, and the airfliter changed (that is if you are totally car maintance retarded) and whatever else that needs to be physically done at that service. Price out each of these separately. You will see that they do the same work for $100's less. DONOT LET THEM TALK YOU INTO JUST DOING THE 30k SERVICE. What I always did was after I broke the service advisor down and exposed their scam, I asked them why they were trying to rip me off.
Old 07-29-05, 01:26 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jdepiro
I got frustrated at the service of these things and may be switching to BMW or Mercedes where they include the services for the lifetime of the car. It is a shame, because I do like the Lexus.
Nope not anymore for MB. Starting with '05 MY, no more lifetime service. You pay. Only lifetime thing left with MB is roadside assistance.
Old 08-02-05, 06:38 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

I did the 10K service yesterday and the total cost came to $331. The total included the 10K service and replacement of the tow-hitch cover on the rear bumper that my wife scratched to heck when she backed into a pole. Considering the damage that could have been, I think I got off fairly well.
Old 08-02-05, 07:52 PM
GXtreme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
I did the 10K service yesterday and the total cost came to $331. The total included the 10K service and replacement of the tow-hitch cover on the rear bumper that my wife scratched to heck when she backed into a pole. Considering the damage that could have been, I think I got off fairly well.
Other than the oil/filter and tire rotation... what other services were performed?
Old 08-04-05, 03:14 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GXtreme
Other than the oil/filter and tire rotation... what other services were performed?
In addition to those items they also replaced the A/C filter. Bear in mind that the $331 charge also includes the cost for the tow-hitch cover ($97).
Old 08-04-05, 06:29 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Leslie,

Sorry to break the bad news to you but you need to return/refund the tow hitch cover, I picked up a BRAND new one from Sewell-Lexus Tx for $11.63...

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=16
Old 08-04-05, 10:17 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
Leslie,

Sorry to break the bad news to you but you need to return/refund the tow hitch cover, I picked up a BRAND new one from Sewell-Lexus Tx for $11.63...

That's interesting! Apparently, there are 2 types of covers. The one I needed was, for lack of a better description, a bumper cover. I've got the invoice from the dealer; I'll have to do some homework. Thanks!
Old 08-04-05, 10:19 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Leslie,

I just followed the link you provided and that is not the type of cover I needed.
Old 08-04-05, 11:10 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Leslie,

I think he needed the colormatched bumper insert above the trailer hitch, not the black square rubber hitch receiver cover.
Old 08-04-05, 11:23 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by loflin
I think he needed the colormatched bumper insert above the trailer hitch, not the black square rubber hitch receiver cover.
That's exactly the part.
Old 08-04-05, 06:40 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Whew good to know... That would have been one MIGHTY expensive tow plug, glad everything worked out for you...