GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus - TSB

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-05, 01:26 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus - TSB

Hi Guys,

TSB (Technical Service Bulletins, official from Lexus/Toyota) and Lexus questions? Does Lexus "fix" the TSB bulletins that come out in a timely fashion?
Are they honest about them (Um, sorry never heard of that problem...Oh you have a TSB #xx, Oh this problem, yes we'll fix it...)?
One fixed, do the problems re-appear and if so does Lexus take responsiblity to fix until it is resolved permanently?

I'm asking only because we're in the 05' model of which I currenlty own but yet, I still seem to see some people come across some age old issues that troubled the 05' model?

Sulfur Smell
Clunk/Thump issue
Rear door locking

About the ONLY TSB that I don't see coming up anymore is the one about the Gross Vehicle weight sticker?

I'm not complaining per se about these TSB issues, it's just that as I read more and more of these forums, I begin to see a trend...? If I'm on the wrong track please let me know...

Last edited by lonewolf69; 07-20-05 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-20-05, 08:47 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
Hi Guys,

TSB (Technical Service Bulletins, official from Lexus/Toyota) and Lexus questions? Does Lexus "fix" the TSB bulletins that come out in a timely fashion?
Are they honest about them (Um, sorry never heard of that problem...Oh you have a TSB #xx, Oh this problem, yes we'll fix it...)?
One fixed, do the problems re-appear and if so does Lexus take responsiblity to fix until it is resolved permanently?

I'm asking only because we're in the 05' model of which I currenlty own but yet, I still seem to see some people come across some age old issues that troubled the 05' model?

Sulfur Smell
Clunk/Thump issue
Rear door locking

About the ONLY TSB that I don't see coming up anymore is the one about the Gross Vehicle weight sticker?

I'm not complaining per se about these TSB issues, it's just that as I read more and more of these forums, I begin to see a trend...? If I'm on the wrong track please let me know...
i say u are on the wrong track. let us technition find common problems. you as customers need to hear and feel things that come up with new model cars. im sorry we cant get out tsb's out in your ideal of a timely manner. but we are workin on finding problems on cars.

in the past month ive had 2 99 es300 with the same problem.

but let problems come up and we will try to fix as problems arise
Old 07-21-05, 06:09 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Hi Kookaid,

I guess, what I'm trying to say is this. As a new Lexus owner, I'm extremely surprised to hear about ANY problems at all for the BRAND name is synonomous for quailty, craftmanship and excellence.

Secondly, I amazed that in the year 2005 we're still hearing people with problems that were supposed to be resolved from the 2003 model's TSB?

Case in point, Sulfur smell, TSB # EG001-03 (February 03) this issue should have been resolved for all models, yet, again in new 2004 models, another TSB was issue for the same problem TSB-EG004-04 (April 2004)

Believe me, I sorry if I'm stirring up a "hornet's nest" here regarding these issues, but I love my GX and I just a little "worried" that despite the multiple TSB that have been issued for this GREAT vehicle, the problems are somehow still showing up in the 05' models???? C'mon guys this is LEXUS not, Chrysler, Ford, Mercedes, BMW right??? JD Powell winner many MANY years running...

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/74/03740614.html

Last edited by lonewolf69; 07-21-05 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-21-05, 06:24 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Hi Kookaid,

I guess, what I'm trying to say is this. As a new Lexus owner, I'm extremely surprised to hear about ANY problems at all for the BRAND name is synonomous for quailty, craftmanship and excellence.

Secondly, I amazed that in the year 2005 we're still hearing people with problems that were supposed to be resolved from the 2003 model's TSB?

Case in point, Sulfur smell, TSB # EG001-03 (February 03) this issue should have been resolved for all models, yet, again in new 2004 models, another TSB was issue for the same problem TSB-EG004-04 (April 2004)

Believe me, I sorry if I'm stirring up a "hornet's nest" here regarding these issues, but I love my GX and I just a little "worried" that despite the multiple TSB that have been issued for this GREAT vehicle, the problems are somehow still showing up in the 05' models???? C'mon guys this is LEXUS not, Chrysler, Ford, Mercedes, BMW right??? JD Powell winner many MANY years running...

well how new is the car. how many miles u have and how long have u had it. i know for a fact that when i do pdi(pre delivery inspection) and when the car gets nice and hot there is a funny smell comming from it. witch is perfictly normal. and u werent stirring a hornets nest. its just no matter what car company between jap and german or american. no 1 can build a perfect car with no problems. and dispite that some problems come back year after year. r&d is not cheap. i know lexus and toyota spend about 3.2 billion on r&d. they are doing the best they can. and they use the same ****ty material year after year because its cheaper. daym PENNY PINCHERS
Old 07-26-05, 06:52 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Hi Kookaid,

lonewolf69, did you read the TSB (not just the title). I did NOT, as I don't have an Alldata account now. But do be aware, that many TSB aren't necessarily a fix, sometimes they are just information, AND they get repeatedach model year. So the Sulphur smell TSB, may actually be just text that says to explain to the customer that the catalytic converter under certain conditions, blah, blah, blah.

I'm only guessing.

However, as an example on almost all models since years ago, when brake pads changed from asbestos to a metallic composite material had TSB's each year to explain the brake squeal in general, and in particular the fact it is more noticeable with brand new brake (pads).

So my point is that a number of TSBs are not things that are broken with a prescribed fix. They are just information/education/explanation.
Old 07-26-05, 07:34 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Loflin,

***getting on soapbox***

Your earlier post sounded a bit on the defensive side, and I hope you didn't take my original post as an "attack" on Lexus/GX470, but my original post was to "vent" my percieved notion that Lexus wasn't following through on their QA to their loyal customer base.

I did plenty of research before I plunked down some hard earned coinage for our new vehicle, even though I knew about these TSB's ahead of time, I still went ahead and purchased the GX470. My main concern again is why after all these years do we still have the Clunk/Thumping issue with the 05' model. On a 50K vehicle it shouldn't happen, worse off, it is only happening to SOME people and not to others, so does this mean TSB's were applied only to some models but not to others?

As I was growing up and I did something wrong, I was told by my parents/teachers that what I did is wrong and I quickly adjusted my behavior, because if I didn't, and I wound up doing the same wrong, I would be punished! Shouldn't this hold true for Lexus as well, or for that matter any other car manufacturer/vendor?

For the RECORD, I love my GX470, I don't HATE it at all...

I really REALLY don't want this love affair with Lexus/GX470 to whither & DIE because of these re-occuring TSBs/issues...

Regardless, if I've read the TSB's or not, or even if they are just notices describing the issues/problems, it still means there exists a solution and as such these problems should not be re-occuring no matter how important or trivial they are. This is Lexus we're talking about here not another car company like Mercedes/BMW (wow, did I just say that!!!) Lexus is suppose to stand for quality and customer service. I'm sorry, but a canned response from a "bad" dealer/service manager "This clunk is working as designed and is not a problem, have a nice day" ^ just doesn't cut it... After all, we paid on average about $50K for our vehicle, we shouldn't have to put up with lame excuses like this.

For the record, I do NOT have any of the problems that I've written in my original post, and hopefully if all goes well, I won't have to deal with any of these problems, EVER!

Bottom line, I do hope you all agree, that after the original debut of the 03' model and the numerous TSB's the Clunk/thump problem should NOT exists at ALL in any way shape or form in the 05' model???

***getting off soapbox ***

PS> JohnnyMo, how did your service go at Manhattan Lexus for the Clunk/Thump issue, has it now been resolved? Thanks in advance!

^footnote - "...function as designed, this is NOT a problem...", rumor has it that this is one of the actual TSB, is Lexus trying to pass the buck on the thumping issue???

Last edited by lonewolf69; 07-26-05 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-26-05, 08:15 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

I've noticed a problem that is not mentioned in any tsb. When I continually push the go peddle to the floor it seems to use gas faster then when I only push it half way to the floor. You would think they would have a fix for this. When I brought this up to the service manager he looked at me like I was crazy. I would of expected better treatment for a vehicle that cost this much money.
Old 07-27-05, 07:08 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Service Bulletins
EG004-04 APR 04 Exhaust System - Excessive Sulfur Dioxide Odors
DL001-04 APR 04 Driveline - Rear Driveshaft Clunk/Thump Noise
EL001-04 MAR 04 Electrical - 'Crank Hold Syst*** Jump Starting
ST004-04 FEB 04 Steering/Driveline - Vibration/Drone
AC001-04 JAN 04 A/C - Poor Cooling in High Temperatures
EG003-03 DEC 03 Emissions - MIL ON/DTC's P0441, P0442/P0446 Set
SS002-03 DEC 03 Engine Controls - O2 Sensor Monitor Threshold Values
BO012-03 DEC 03 Interior - Seat Belt Extender Applications/Availability
EL015-03 NOV 03 Instruments - Inaccurate Outside Temperature Display
BO008-03 OCT 03 Interior - Console Box Door Won't Stay Closed
SS003R-01 SEP 03 Engine Controls - ECU Programming Error Displayed
SS001R-01 SEP 03 Engine Controls - ECU Programming Procedure
BO005-03 SEP 03 Body - Hood is Difficult to Open
BO006-03 SEP 03 Interior - Rear Door Power Window Switch Loose
BO007-03 SEP 03 Interior - Trim Panel Removel/Installation Precautions
EL011-03 SEP 03 Body - Power Window 'AUTO-UP' Feature Malfunctions
SU001-03 AUG 03 Suspension - Squeak From Front on Sharp Bumps
EL010-03 AUG 03 Lexus Link System(R) - Error Detected
NV007-03 AUG 03 Body - Rear Door Grinding Noise
AU002-03 JUN 03 Audio System - Rear Audio/CD Changer Troubleshooting
BO004-03 JUN 03 Interior - Front Seats 'Loose' Feeling
EL006-03 JUN 03 Navigation System - Map Screen is Blank
AX004-03 MAY 03 Cell Phone - Headphones Turn OFF in Cold Weather
PG003-03 MAY 03 Body - License Plate Mounting Precautions
TC002-03 MAY 03 Engine Controls - ECM Reset Memory Function
NV003-03 APR 03 Interior - Seat Track Squeak/Creak Noise
NV002-03 APR 03 Engine - Engine Cover Buzzing Noise
EL002-03 MAR 03 Instruments - Service Maintenance Lamp Resetting
NV001-03 MAR 03 Interior - Front/3rd Row Seats Squeaks/Rattles
TC001-03 FEB 03 A/T - A750 Solenoid Identification
EG001-03 FEB 03 Exhaust System - Sulfur Smell
SS005R-01 JAN 03 Diagnostic Tester - Immobilizer Function
PG016-02 OCT 02 Body - Moonroof Initialization Procedure
BO005-02 SEP 02 Interior - Seat Belt Extender Availability/Applications

Old 07-27-05, 12:52 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Loflin,

***getting on soapbox***

Your earlier post sounded a bit on the defensive side, and I hope you didn't take my original post as an "attack" on Lexus/GX470, but my original post was to "vent" my percieved notion that Lexus wasn't following through on their QA to their loyal customer base.
lonewolf69, if by earlier, you meant my only post on this thread, nope, I wasn't defensive at all (if you are referring to other posts by me, I'll have to go look, as perhaps I have been defensive on other threads).

So sorry I was not clear, but your interpretation of what I was posting is not what I was trying to convey.

ANYWAY, ALL I was trying to point out is that a list of TSB titles does not imply that those are all problems. Some are procedure education, for a situation that comes up "frequently" with customers (so I guess you could say perhaps it IS a problem, with the clarity of the manual?), for example the "Moonroof Initialization Procedure" or cautionary like "License Plate Mounting Precautions".

So, for the example you used, as being concerned they hadn't fixed since '03:

"Case in point, Sulfur smell, TSB # EG001-03 (February 03) this issue should have been resolved for all models, yet, again in new 2004 models, another TSB was issue for the same problem TSB-EG004-04 (April 2004)"

I was suggesting it MIGHT not be an actual problem that was not fixed, it might just be an explanation of how a new catalytic converter smells. But I don't know, as I can not read the full text anymore. And my question was to you, were you able to read the full text from some source?

On the clunk/thump issue I have no comment, as I don't have it, and I have read so many differing reports of what it is, what it sounds like, what it feels like, what the fix is, what the fix isn't, what other cars have the same, etc., etc., etc. That I'm convinced the clunk/thump is multiple things (as being talked about in the forums), with different fixes (or not).