GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Running Board Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-05, 10:13 PM
Donger
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Board Removal

Anyone try this or know of a kit that will allow the removal of the running boards? I was dragging them off-road (fortunately, no damage). They are a pain in the butt and I think the vehicle would look better without them. But as you can tell from the picture when 4 wheeler magazine took them off, a 'finishing kit' would be required to make the truck look stock again. Maybe a small part to round out the wheel flares and something that wil take care of the mounting brackets.

I searched the web - can't find anything like this. Wondering if anyone on the board has extra info.

Thanks

Old 07-03-05, 07:41 AM
TexGX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Donger,

I am in the process of tring to find some one to make custom sliders for the GX. I need to take my running boards off and send pictures to Hanna off-road. I will let you know if I find anything. Please let me know if you do.

TexGX
Old 07-13-05, 05:47 PM
Mwarfiel
Driver School Candidate

Default Try adding 1 inch pipe under the step for slide

I had the same problem dragging the mounts on mounds and rocks.

I purchased some plumbers tape (1/2 inch metal stip with holes every 1/2 inch) and a couple of 1 inch galvanized pipes ~ 6 feet long. Removing the mounting bolts 1 at a time, I wrapped the plumbers tape arond the pipe and replaced the bolts.

Since the pipe is attached on the bottom of the brackets it acts as a slider and helps distribute the weight if you do hit something. The 1 inch pipe fits perfectly as you can't see the pipe from the side of the vehicle.

Works like a charm and is really cheap insurance compared to snagging and ripping off one of the brackets.

Last edited by Mwarfiel; 07-13-05 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-13-05, 09:05 PM
GXPrado
Driver

I wouldn't recommend that. It's false security because you are still relying on the running board mounts.

It isn't designed for impacts. It is mounted to the body not the frame. One good impact will crush the mounting points in the body, and crush your running boards up into your bodywork.
The worst case would be that you could no longer open or close your doors.

Running boards can hold several hundred pounds. Your suv hitting a rock or ledge is several thousand pounds.
Running boards are mounted by 6 threaded, 10mm screws. Hanna Quality rock sliders (as an example) are mounted to the frame rails w/ 50,000lb. rated hardware.

Can you jack up your suv by the side protection? It will have to withstand that kind of weight to be useful as protection.

You need solid frame mounted protection (if that is what you are looking for). If you are going for style or looks, you can go with anything.
Old 07-14-05, 09:35 AM
Mwarfiel
Driver School Candidate

Default Level of off-roading determines need for extra protection

GX Prado is correct!

The solution I offer is valid for ~ 99.8% of Levus owners who even take the truck off-road at all...

The recommendation is directed towards anyone that takes the truck off road who does not want to totally alter the look of the vehicle (A mistake to take off running boards IMO), but would like avoid light damage due to the occasional scrapping that occurs in moderate off roading.

The purpose of the under mounted pipes is to reduce the potential of snagging a bracket on a rock or high area only. I have had those pipes mounted under the step for almost a year, with only two occasions (Both in Borrego Springs) in which they even tougched and both times the pipe protected both the brackets from snagging as well as the bottom outer edge of the step from being scrapped.

They act only as a sliding surface in light conditions. You will find that many who run the Baja 500 and 1000 actually use teflon plastic sheets or plastic cutting boards as sliding surfaces now instead of heavy amor plating (Cheaper, lighter, and better performance) and might also be a even better solution.

Someone would have to be pretty serious ( or be provided a LEXUS for free) to subject a $50K + vehicle to any situation requiring the heavy use of Nurf-Um bars, that is unless some has leased the vehicle, which might end up resulting in paying through the nose due to the unaviodable scrapes and dents resulting from that more difficult level of off roading...

Bottom Line - Get your truck off-road like GX PRADO, DONGER (Nice Name - Austrailia / New Zealand Slang) and the rest of us who actually use the GX 470 to it's potential! Have FUN

Last edited by Mwarfiel; 07-14-05 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-14-05, 12:02 PM
GXPrado
Driver

Mwarfiel,
I understand what you are trying to do. However, the most you are doing is possibly protecting the running board from superficial scrapes, nothing more. Once a bit of the suv's weight leans onto a running board, it will bend.

Many of the hits I've seen happen under the "step platform". Basically it folds up the running board into your rocker panel/bottom of doors. Nothing you do to the actual running board will prevent that.

If you plan more than light offroading, it would be easier and safer for the truck to remove them if you are going to offroad, imo. That will give you alot more ground clearance.

The polyethelene cutting boards that rock racers use are mounted directly to frame members. They can take impacts because they are mounted to the strongest parts of the vehicle.

It doesn't take some hardcore offroading to need sliders. I bent one of my running boards on an easy ledge- it doesn't take much. I was lucky the running board didn't hit the body.

Anyway, I don't want to invalidate your ideas. Just some possible ideas to keep in mind.
Old 07-15-05, 11:59 AM
TexGX
Rookie

Being someone who uses my truck off-road, I have no love for the running boards. I my experence, I have scratch or popped loose part of the running boards on all trips. I would prefer to have the protections of the sliders. I also am not one to have my truck look like everyother mall crusier out there. The GX is a very impressive off-road truck. I do not plan on doing extreme off-roading any time soon, just would like to go out and not worry about damaging the truck. The GX needs some moderate modification to do allow us to use it to half of it's potential. I plan on new BFG A/T as soon as my tires wear out. Sliders and roof rack are on my wish list.

TexGX

TexGX
Old 07-15-05, 02:37 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by TexGX
I plan on new BFG A/T as soon as my tires wear out. Sliders and roof rack are on my wish list.
TexGX
Oh yeah, with your Michelin CT's, you will be needing new tires in about 50 years or so! Don't those CT's have a ridiculously high Treadwear rating?!
Old 07-15-05, 02:58 PM
TexGX
Rookie

I plan on doing dounuts in the drive to wear them down.
Old 07-15-05, 03:04 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by TexGX
I plan on doing dounuts in the drive to wear them down.
Oh...then about 25 years or so.