GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear Suspension Sagging

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-05, 12:07 AM
crubrexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Suspension Sagging

I have a 2005 GX w/ Sport Package, and have noticed that the left rear seems to be sagging. My SUV tilts to the left when viewed from the rear (parked on level ground), and measuring from the ground to identical points on the fender lip show that the left side sits between 3/4" and 1" lower than the right. Tires are all inflated equally. The tilt does not correct itself at either low or high settings on the rear suspension.

I took it in for service, and the technician reports that everything is in spec. I can't believe that a 1" difference in height is within within manufacturing tolerances. Has anyone here had this problem? If so, could you tell me what was fixed or what components were replaced?

Thanks!
Pat
Old 06-15-05, 07:49 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Hi Crub,

This is a KDSS issue, it was mentioned here on the forum before.

Here is the link:
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...pic=14624&st=0

Last edited by lonewolf69; 06-15-05 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-21-05, 06:40 PM
kph3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2004GX470 loaded with the KDSS option. It took almost two months to get my truck and I was told I had one of the first with the KDSS and all the new options for 2004 (backup camera, etc.)

See my posts on this forum in regards to my rear suspension "leaning" on the left side. First, the service dept told me in specs....then service manager told me it was an optical illusion...then I got pissed. Never could get them to fix it properly after numerous attempts. That combined with the thump/driveline problem, and a crazy suspension that had a mind of its own and raised/lowered itself at its own discretion caused me to trade it for a 2005 Acura RL. Love the car. Fun to drive.

Lexus wasn't responsive and wasn't responsive when I looked at trading the GX for a GS, so I went to the Acura dealer and was treated fairly and 5000 miles into my purchase, I know I made the right decision.

Good luck with your truck...apparently Lexus thinks that a "leaning" or "sagging" rear of the truck is acceptable on a $50,000 vehicle, but it wasn't for me.
Old 06-21-05, 06:46 PM
kph3
Driver School Candidate

Oh, forgot...they replaced the height sensors on the truck...no fix.
They did something with the suspension that raised the whole rear about 4 - 5 inches and then they denied that they did it....like I am an idiot....AND it still leaned! Then, they lowered it back and messed up some sensor and the truck rode extremely stiff and was so bad that my kids couldn't watch the rear DVD as they tossed around in the back as it made them sick. A coworker on a business trip stated that she wished she had worn her sports bra as she was going to be sore the next day from a 2 hour drive in my truck. It was pitiful. Finally, they fixed the harsh ride, but the lean or sag remained........I didn't....I left Lexus.
Old 06-22-05, 08:01 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

kph3,

Really REALLY sorry to hear about your problems with your GX, I hope others are not having as bad an experience you have had with your dealer. I have seen and read about other dealers and they don't seem to be as "harsh" as your dealer.

Optical illusion - I would have done what Crub, did and pulled out a tape measure in FRONT of them to measure the difference and tell them you have special tape measure that includes an Anti Optical sensor to dispel optical illusions...

I would have then followed this up to General Manager and Corporate Lexus and explain to them in MINUTE detail of why I left Lexus to go over to Acura, and a note that this will be sent out to JD Powell for inclusion in their next report...

It's dealers like the one that Kph3 has to deal with that gives Lexus a bad name...

... and DESERVES to be outed, Optical Illusion, INDEED!!!

Last edited by lonewolf69; 06-22-05 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-22-05, 09:51 AM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i would have told them to take their optical illusion and shove it where the sun don't shine. Why dont you go up the chain of commands a little bit and complain to a person who is over a higher position than the last. I'd keep doing it and doing it. Then i'd take the tape measure, have a friend hold it up against the fender and take a picture of it to prove that it really is off yu know? take the pictures incase somewhere up the chain of command, someone demands pictures.
good luck.
Old 06-23-05, 03:34 PM
kph3
Driver School Candidate

I came back with a tape measure and showed them the difference....this is when they started working on it and created the additional problems. When the suspension went crazy, I took pictures with my camera phone and emailed them to the dealer and Lexus corporate. It took that to get them working on it seriously....however, the sagging was never fixed. Also, after replacing the driveshaft, the thump came back about 5000 miles later.

Other things I didn't mention was a reoccuring bizarre intermittant (but loud) rattle from the sunroof area (dealer could never duplicate), and even the gas shocks on the hood gave out (opened and almost was decapitated when checking fluids).

This was my third Lexus from the dealer and had some past service problems, but none like this before. I think the truck was just a lemon. However, I don't think the service was responsive on addressing my issues. I just became tired and didn't feel like fighting the system anymore....working long hours and have 3 kids taking up the rest of my time. I sure didn't like spending what little time I had at the service dept. Next closest dealer is 2.0 hours away from my home.

After I left, I sent a long email to my salesperson (not responsive on working me a deal on another vechicle either). He replied that he would take my concerns to the top. Got a letter from the GM about two weeks later.....you won't believe this.......letter said they were sorry they couldn't help me with my new car purchase, but to remember that they had a full service department and no matter what car I purchased, I could come to them for service!! Have you ever heard of anything so absurd!?!

I was and am done.
Old 06-23-05, 05:08 PM
crubrexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Bummer

Thank you all for your responses. I followed the thread suggested by lonewolf (both on lexusownersclub.com and back to clublexus.com), and thought that replacing the rear height sensor or the hydraulic cylinder on the stabilizer bar would remedy the problem. I was disappointed to hear from kph3 that neither of these fixes took care of his GX.

The service manager here in Honolulu has said that he'll make it right, promising that when they're done, it'll be within 1/4". He said they encountered this problem once before and fixed it. You know, my GX seems to behave like the rear stabilizer is not working -- there seems to be more tilt when cornering hard, and a couple of body creaks have appeared when the front right or left rear corner is bumped up by a driveway or speed bump. Maybe an air leak into the KDSS hydraulics allows the cylinder controlling the stabilizer to overcompress, when cornering. I think if the cylinder is compressed, this would also cause the truck to lean to the left when parked (cylinder is located on the left side of the stabilizer bar).

Anyway, will report back here what the outcome is, if anyone is interested.

Pat
Old 06-24-05, 10:02 PM
darylhuff
Rookie

I have a 2005 GX470 with the sport package and I have exactly the same problem. In my case the car only leans to the left when the car is parked and off. Once I start the car it levels itself. I wonder if it is the KDSS and that once it is off (car is not running) it can't keep the car level. I did complain to my service department, but they gave me the same line that it was within specifications.
Old 06-25-05, 12:00 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=leaning