GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Introducing myself

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-05, 04:17 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default front guard

how about this for a guard. J/K , I wish they make all thse accesories for our trucks.
Attached Thumbnails Introducing myself-dsc01318.jpg  
Old 05-22-05, 06:04 PM
bliksem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mm25fx35
Bliksem,
I have a quesion for you. Since both Vehicles share the same platform, can you tell if the front end of the frames are pretty similar? The reason why I ask is because my wife and I have been looking for accessories for the front end of our GX, but we have had a difficult time. There are a ton of accessories and products like westin bullbar, Jaos products and front grille guards for the 4-runner (03-05) but nothing for the GX. Since you have both in your garage you're in a unique spot to be able to compare the underside and clearance of the bumpers. I'm in process of contacting Westin to see if the 2.5" bull bar would fit the GX since there is an application for the 4runner. I have contacted JAOS and after 2 weeks they finally wrote back and said that grille guards might fit but may require some modification.

sorry about the long thread but i'm excited about dressing up the GX!!

thanks!
Teh frames and structural portion of the bumpers are exactly the same. Teh GX does have a plastic cover for the area between the front bottom of the bumper and the front skidplate, the 4Runner doesn't.

The plastic portions of the bumpers are very different, the 4Runner is almost squared, while the GX has a round cruve. Teh bottom lip of the GX looks like it is slightly more forward and slightly lower then tha 4Runner.

You should be able to get it to fit, but the lines might not flow correctly on the plastic moldings. I am not sure how these shin gaurds mount, but you should be able to mount it to the GX.
Old 05-22-05, 11:18 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by angelslex
how about this for a guard. J/K , I wish they make all thse accesories for our trucks.
Assume you've seen this one from Lexus (similar idea, but not as big).
Attached Thumbnails Introducing myself-gx470-bumper-trim.jpg  
Old 05-23-05, 12:22 AM
GXPrado
Driver

Originally Posted by loflin
Assume you've seen this one from Lexus (similar idea, but not as big).
Looks like a codpiece with handlebars. Not a big fan of damage multipliers... stock looks better imo
Old 05-23-05, 07:28 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GXPrado
Looks like a codpiece with handlebars. Not a big fan of damage multipliers... stock looks better imo
I agree, don't like the looks, don't like the Prado one in the pic at the top, either.

However as far as "damage mulipliers", I did have a chrome Rhino on last truck (Suburban), looked good. Wife had a low speed hit (parking lot). I just had to replace the cross bar ($87) and straighten one of the support brackets. If it wouldn't have been there, would have been $500 to $1000 (out of pocket) for bumper work and paint.

But, I just haven't found one that I think looks good on the GX.
Old 05-23-05, 09:15 AM
mm25fx35
Rookie

Originally Posted by bliksem
Teh frames and structural portion of the bumpers are exactly the same. Teh GX does have a plastic cover for the area between the front bottom of the bumper and the front skidplate, the 4Runner doesn't.

The plastic portions of the bumpers are very different, the 4Runner is almost squared, while the GX has a round cruve. Teh bottom lip of the GX looks like it is slightly more forward and slightly lower then tha 4Runner.

You should be able to get it to fit, but the lines might not flow correctly on the plastic moldings. I am not sure how these shin gaurds mount, but you should be able to mount it to the GX.

Thanks Bliksem! I guess I'll make a decision to wait of try and purchase and see how much damage I can do