GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Warning: The Bad Guys Are Out There!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-05, 09:30 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Warning: The Bad Guys Are Out There!

Well......it happened.

Last Friday evening on the way home from work I make a ten minute stop at Home Depot in a nice area of Dallas.

I park my GX about six spaces from main front door.......it's still light outside.....lots of people in the Home Depot parking lot as usual.

I come out of Home Depot ten minutes later and the window of the back seat on the driver's side is bashed out and my brief case which was on the floor in backseat is gone!

Shattered glass everywhere.

And I was dumb enough to have an extra set of car keys and house keys in my brief case.

Of course my business cards and one gas credit card were in my brief case.

So they had my home address with house keys and GX keys.

Lets just say I slept with my 38 very close that night.

Saturday morning I was at the Lexus dealer when they opened and then home to meet locksmith to re-key home lock$.

My total bill when I picked up my GX from the dealer after they replaced the window with some glass down in mechanism, minor dent on window frame, replace/re-key all locks, and 2 new remotes.....$1746.00!

Ouch!

So yes I have learned my lesson......everyone do a better job of hiding anything in car.......don't have any extra keys to car or house in brief case.

The thieves made some charges on my Shell card before I cancelled it, and Shell says they may have them on camera using my card.......I am not holding my breath.......but that would be nice if they caught them.

Called the Home Depot and manager said the cameras outside are focused on doors only to catch "grab and run" shoplifters.

So guys......be smart.....be careful.......and learn from my mistake!

Old 05-14-05, 11:28 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itsZep
Well......it happened.

Last Friday evening on the way home from work I make a ten minute stop at Home Depot in a nice area of Dallas.

I park my GX about six spaces from main front door.......it's still light outside.....lots of people in the Home Depot parking lot as usual.

I come out of Home Depot ten minutes later and the window of the back seat on the driver's side is bashed out and my brief case which was on the floor in backseat is gone!

Shattered glass everywhere.

And I was dumb enough to have an extra set of car keys and house keys in my brief case.

Of course my business cards and one gas credit card were in my brief case.

So they had my home address with house keys and GX keys.

Lets just say I slept with my 38 very close that night.

Saturday morning I was at the Lexus dealer when they opened and then home to meet locksmith to re-key home lock$.

My total bill when I picked up my GX from the dealer after they replaced the window with some glass down in mechanism, minor dent on window frame, replace/re-key all locks, and 2 new remotes.....$1746.00!

Ouch!

So yes I have learned my lesson......everyone do a better job of hiding anything in car.......don't have any extra keys to car or house in brief case.

The thieves made some charges on my Shell card before I cancelled it, and Shell says they may have them on camera using my card.......I am not holding my breath.......but that would be nice if they caught them.

Called the Home Depot and manager said the cameras outside are focused on doors only to catch "grab and run" shoplifters.

So guys......be smart.....be careful.......and learn from my mistake!

I hope that the thieves WERE caught on camera and that they are identified and caught. I was sorry to read about your experience. Given the relative height of the GX and the tint on the passenger and rear windows, they must have been sitting there when you pulled-into your parking spot and saw what was inside. Otherwise, it strikes me as pretty brazen to break into a vehicle that's parked a few feet away from the main entrance of an establishment as busy as Home Depot. Good luck!
Old 05-14-05, 12:12 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Deterrent

Can I assume that they lifted the brief case through the window, so as to not set off the alarm ??

I think I will have my rear windows tinted with 35% like I did my front side windows.

It should be a little deterrent.

~ Cap
Old 05-14-05, 12:54 PM
truongsta8
Lead Lap

WOW Crazy @$$ people are everywhere now a days. I hope you catch who did it. I hate criminals!
Old 05-14-05, 03:02 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Ya know you could be right......about them lifting the briefcase out through the window they smashed......because when I got to my car......there was glass everywhere......but the alarm was not going off........i just figured it had already run it's full cycle by the time i got there.....if thats how they work????

As a side note.....my nephew told me he has a friend with a Blue GX just like mine and it happened to him in the same vicinity recently.........

The Lexus dealer told me they see this sort of thing about 2-4 times per month on average.....

Thanks guys for your concern......and be safe with what you keep in your Lexus!
Old 05-14-05, 04:13 PM
dmodstl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is interesting what you have mentioned about the alarm possibly not going off. Will an aftermarket security system now be on your to do list for your GX? Or will you just take better precautions next time?
Old 05-14-05, 07:56 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 4Runner owners have the same problem, smash a window and the alarm does not go off, all Toyotas are like that, some owners get alarms with sensors that can monitor glass breaking.

Suck that someone stole your stuff, someone just backed into my 4Runner
Old 05-16-05, 12:33 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts
Angry

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, esp. when most of your personals are in the brief.
Thanks for sharing your sharing itsZep.

I make sure nothing personal is visible when I walk away from car. If it is visible I try to hide with a towel, sweater, coat and to not make it look obvious. Makes it hard when I want to park far away for the exercise and avoiding door dings.

Even though I have nothing precious inside my briefcase, an exposed bag/briefcase still draws attention.

LMS have an add-on shock sensor to our factory alarms, not sure for GX.
Old 05-16-05, 06:35 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

too crazy man

hope they catch the ****ers man

i have no respect for people who violate anothers property

glad to hear you have some protection just in case

let us know if anything happens

johnny
Old 05-27-05, 09:40 PM
Capirato
Racer

Ya know you could be right......about them lifting the briefcase out through the window they smashed......because when I got to my car......there was glass everywhere......but the alarm was not going off........i just figured it had already run it's full cycle by the time I got there.....if thats how they work????
Hey Zep.....

This is what we need. I just ordered it.

http://www.luxurymotorworks.com/sense_o_shock_alarm.php

~ Cap
Old 05-28-05, 03:58 AM
Joel888
Driver

Originally Posted by Capirato
Hey Zep.....

This is what we need. I just ordered it.

http://www.luxurymotorworks.com/sense_o_shock_alarm.php

~ Cap
Hi Cap,

Is this easy to install by yourself? Please let us know how it works with existing alarm coz the manufacturer's site do not have installation instructions. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-28-05, 08:29 AM
Capirato
Racer

Default Sense O Shock

Originally Posted by Joel888

Hi Cap,

Is this easy to install by yourself? Please let us know how it works with existing alarm coz the manufacturer's site do not have installation instructions. Thanks in advance.
Joel.....

I certainly will let you all know how the module works. As for the installation, I imagine the instructions will be in the box.

~ Cap
Old 05-29-05, 01:24 PM
Joel888
Driver

Originally Posted by Capirato
Joel.....

I certainly will let you all know how the module works. As for the installation, I imagine the instructions will be in the box.

~ Cap
Hi Cap,

If possible please do a write up and take some pictures to share with us. Thanks.
Old 06-06-05, 08:41 PM
Joel888
Driver

Default Hello Cap

Have you installed the alarm yet? Please do a write up of installation and a review if possible. Thanks.
Old 06-06-05, 10:21 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Sense-O-Shock Platinum

Originally Posted by Joel888

Have you installed the alarm yet? Please do a write up of installation and a review if possible. Thanks.
Hi Joel.....

I ordered the kit when I posted last. Then a couple of days later Pay-Pal wrote to me and told me that the seller had not picked up their money and suggested I cancel the order, which I did. It was over the Memorial Day weekend and I suspect that was the reason.

Then a couple of days after that I got a response from one of the owners replying to my question where I asked them how much they charged to install it. He replied with $200 installed. I then asked, which kit he was referring to. He replied with: "The Sense-O-Shock Gold"

Their website has a price of $190 which is $10 less than having it installed. I want the Platinum kit which is more. I have decided to drive to the sellers location and have the kit installed, as soon as I get a chance.

I will let you know when I do.

~ Cap

Quick Reply: Warning: The Bad Guys Are Out There!