GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

HID installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-05, 01:20 PM
Joel888
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xenon depot harness

Vicestan,

This is the description from Xenondepot.com describing their wiring harness:

The XenonDepot headlight wiring harness will include an upgraded fuse and relay. This harness will ensure you do not draw a higher current from your OEM vehicle harness than it was designed to provide. A proper mating connector will be be included so that you will be able to plug this harness into your OEM headlight harness with no wire splicing, cutting, or tapping.

So, based on this do you still think we need the $20 harness installed?
Old 06-06-05, 01:59 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, in this case no you dont, good to see they provide a harness, that was my whole point. I'm curious but what is everyone expecting to get from there hid "kits", in terms of output, the way they look, eye strain?. I see most people buy the 6000k plus light bulbs but the thing with the 6000K is the give out less light compared to 4100k and 4300k oem light bulbs and in terms of function they really tend to strain your eyes on those long night drives because the light thats reflected back in your eyes is bluish rather then the mostly white light emited from oem light bulbs, in fact the 4100K osram light bulb is found to be the least eye straining out of all light bulbs out there because the light it gives of is kind of pinkish when you look head on and im not an eye doctor or anything but in a general poll alot of people who used 4100K osram vs 4300K phillips found that osram gave them less eye strain. Just curious thats all and how much are you guys paying for these kits?
Old 06-06-05, 02:46 PM
Joel888
Driver

Smile Whew

Originally Posted by vicestan
Oh, in this case no you dont, good to see they provide a harness, that was my whole point. I'm curious but what is everyone expecting to get from there hid "kits", in terms of output, the way they look, eye strain?. I see most people buy the 6000k plus light bulbs but the thing with the 6000K is the give out less light compared to 4100k and 4300k oem light bulbs and in terms of function they really tend to strain your eyes on those long night drives because the light thats reflected back in your eyes is bluish rather then the mostly white light emited from oem light bulbs, in fact the 4100K osram light bulb is found to be the least eye straining out of all light bulbs out there because the light it gives of is kind of pinkish when you look head on and im not an eye doctor or anything but in a general poll alot of people who used 4100K osram vs 4300K phillips found that osram gave them less eye strain. Just curious thats all and how much are you guys paying for these kits?
Vicestan, great and thanks. What a relieve!!!

I ordered the 4,300K kit and intend to have the OEM look and brighter/ whiter light output from what HID xenon lights have to offer. I bought it end of May for $399 plus shipping during xenondepot.com's sale.

Old 06-06-05, 02:58 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 6000k vs 4300k

The 6000k color gives you 20% less lumen output when compared to the 4300k bulbs, but the 6000k color seems to light up road reflectors and signs more due to higher luminesence? according to sylvania. Most people who buy the 6000k bulbs just want the white and blue color.

Either bulb choice puts out 50% more light or lumens with less wattage then the factory halogen bulbs. Trust me you put the Xenondepot kit on and you will never go back to halogens. Its the only kit that is plug and play.
Old 06-06-05, 03:43 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

"The 6000k color gives you 20% less lumen output when compared to the 4300k bulbs, but the 6000k color seems to light up road reflectors and signs more due to higher luminesence?" Lol thats kind of a contradiction of our own statement. Actually no the 6000K bulbs give of less light and light intensity, I seen a picture before of a car and it had a 4100K osram in one headlight and a 6000k phillips ultion in the other and the comparison was very dramatic because you could see the actuall light hitting the road from each headlight. I would like to see the intensity of those GX projectors, maybe turn them on inside the garage, because from that garage door picture I got the impression that the light intensity was very low b/c they are still halogen projectors. Yes the 6000K look better imo, they give of a more colorfull cutof but the cheap aftermarket 6000K Bulbs are not worth it because of there poor quality ( b.c there made in china or indonesia , or Korea ) and the phillips 6000K ultions are to expansive but if you have the money then ofcourse you can get them. I dont even think they make 4100k aftermarket bulbs with the hid "kits" so I guess the 6000K aftermarket bulbs would be the obvious choice for those who dont want to spend that extra 200 dollers to retro real HID projectors into there headlights, although after you have tryed the retrofited headlights with oem hid projectors and oem HID components I GURANTEE you will never go back to the hid "Kit" ever in your life.
Old 06-06-05, 05:17 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Vicestan

Vicestan I am not trying to be a ***** but have you ever installed a set of HIDS or owned them? seems like you do alot of reading and research but have not experienced Xenons to make blank statements. Just like what you were saying about back up relays. I told you guys the Xenondepot kits were the best on the market period!

What I said about the 6000k and 4000k was based on experience and what Sylvania explained as the difference between Luminescence and lumens. You can have high lumens but if the light is not controlled and does not reflect what you want to see it has low luminescence. You can have low lumen output but high luminescence if the amount of lumens reflects back more of what you want to see.

The 6000k in my opinion lights up road signs and reflector markers better than 4300k bulbs. I have owned MB,BMW,Lexus that all have had 4300k OEM bulbs but my new 6000k bulbs seem to light up everything with reflectors better.
Old 06-06-05, 06:57 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

To answer your question yes I have installed hids in fact ive installed about 11 sets of them not including my car ( which you can check out my gallery ) you will see my fog hids and headlight hids. I also do headlight retrofits, but Im sure you will figure that out once you look in my gallery. Yes I did read alot about HID and reserched alot before I took a stab at hid lights. Xenon depot might have the best hid "kits" on the market but that doesnt make them the best hid lights on the market. If you go to Hidplanet.com im sure you will find the overwhelming majority of people there back oem HID parts vs any kit out there. As explained in the post I made before this HID kits are generaly made of poor quality, if xenondepot for ex uses phillips ballast thats good but they still use aftermarket bulbs, which have a much shorter life span. An oem HID "kit" or not rather a kit but oem HID parts will outlast any hid kit out there because of there high quality parts. Im not here to bash on xenondepot or promote anything. As far as lumins or how ever you wnat to twist the word goes it all depands on the projector/reflector at use and the bulb. How is a light bulb that emits for example 2,500 lm going to light up the road better then a light bulb that emits 3,200 lm?. The reason you experiance better road sign illumination is not because of the light bulb my friend but because of the application, you use a hid kit which is stuck into a halogen designed reflector/projector, these projectors were not designed to have the same focal points and focal spread as HID projector/ reflectors thus your lights bleed, and by bleeding I mean small ammounts of light escape upwards and illuminate road signs better then oem HID projectors. Some hid projectors have what we call a squrill finder and its a small metal piece attached to the cutof sheild that reflects a little light upwards to illuminate road signs, this is typical with DOT lights. Also many halogen projectors are designed almost in the same way as hid projectors only they have different bowl ( the part that reflects the light ) and that bowl is designed for halogen light, it efficiently focuses the light from the halogen focal points to deliver the most ammount of light possible from the halogen light bulbs. but the rest of the projector like the cut of sheild and lense is the same as that used in hid projectors. The point here is there is no way your 6000k lights will put out more light then 4100k anyway you twist the equation. Now the 2nd most important thing asside from the light bulb is the projector/reflector. There are many variations of projectors out there and they all perfrom differently, you have bi-xenon and single xenon bi meaning you get a high beam from the hid projector. If the projector is not capable of focusing the light correctly of efficeintly you will not be able to see the full potential of the light bulb. I can show you differnnt projector outputs and the difference is dramatic, stanley, valeo, bosch, hella and other projectors out there all perform differently thus they have a certain demand for them. You can take a bmw 3 -5- 7 with hids put it up against a wall 50 feet away and put a 2004 lexus LS with projectors next to it and the Ls projectors will outperform the beemers 2-1 as far as how much light they put on the road, and both of them using the same light bulbs.
Old 06-06-05, 08:10 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Vice,

Thank you for everything you've written on this forum. It is GREATLY appreciated, but in the interest of settling this matter once and for all (If I may be bold enough to suggest). I'm going to contact Steve (Xenon Depot) tomorrow regarding this thread.

If you'll be kind enough to sort of "recap" everything you've talked about in a few bullet points, let Steve address them here for all of us. (eg, the $25.00 ballast, 4100K vs. 6000K, etc...) You get the idea. Let Steve address any and ALL of your inquiries and lay to rest any and ALL trepidation you may have (and US!!!!) and let Steve, explain or agree with you...

Thank you.

BTW - If we SEEM a little defensing, it's because some of your earlier posts had a "smidgeon" of condescending tone to it, I'm sure it wasn't meant that way but. still...

Example...
"The reason you experiance better road sign illumination is not because of the light bulb my friend but because of the application, "

So without further ado, please feel free to post and hopefully Steve will be able to reply shortly...
Old 06-06-05, 08:13 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Tony - Again thank you for your explanation for all! Hopefully Steve will be able to address any and all concerns that Vice has brought up...
Old 06-08-05, 09:32 AM
Joel888
Driver

Default I wrote to Steve today and he responded back.

This is what Steven wrote:

Joel888: there was a post in ClubLexus.com....A guy said we need to buy an additional harness so that the HID kit will not damage our car's electric system by drawing excessive amp/power to light up the Xenon bulbs. Can you validate that remark?

Steve: Thats 100% correct.
Thats why we already include a harness with our product =)

Joel888: So there is NO NEED to buy another harness to piggyback onto your supplied harness?

Steve: Nope!

Once installed, our harness will ensure you do not draw a higher current from your OEM headlight harness than it was designed to provide. All you will be using your OEM headlight harness for is simply to trigger the relay supplied in our kit on/off

THERE YOU HAVE IT!