GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Alignment for a GX

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-05, 05:20 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alignment for a GX

I have just shy of 15,000 miles on my 2004 GX and was wondering how often you guys have your alignment checked or a full 4 wheel alignment done. On my past cars I would have it done once a year, even if the car felt fine with no off-center tracking while driving or uneven tire wear but on a 4 wheel drive I was not sure if that really is necessary. Any thoughts?
Old 05-04-05, 07:36 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only do the alignment when it's off center or uneven tire wear is noticed.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it
Old 05-04-05, 11:09 AM
GXPrado
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota is pretty good with holding alignment. The suspension on the GX is designed for offroad abuse and still hold perfect alignment so I wouldnt worry about it too much.

However, I think it's a good idea to have it checked once in a while if you are noticing uneven tire wear or if it's going to bother you thinking about it. Maybe a once a year "spring cleaning" type thing or if you happen to need tires, might as well get it done at the same time.

btw, you have a solid rear axle so you only need a front wheel alignment. If someone sells you a 4 wheel alignment, run!
Old 05-05-05, 05:09 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replys! I probably will save the money and just keep an eye out for bad alignment.
Old 05-05-05, 06:54 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

hmm, i haven't even thought of doing that (running at 30k right now)
Old 05-06-06, 10:36 AM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Hey guys,

I'd like a little more help here. I am replacing my tires on Monday (finally dumping the Dunflops w/ the Mich.), and I was talking to the Lexus service guy about possibly getting an alignment while I'm in there while they balance and mount the tires. He said that I would need a 4 wheel alignment, and that didn't make sense to me. Is it possible to ask for only the 2 wheel or what gives?

TIA..

Originally Posted by GXPrado
Toyota is pretty good with holding alignment. The suspension on the GX is designed for offroad abuse and still hold perfect alignment so I wouldnt worry about it too much.

However, I think it's a good idea to have it checked once in a while if you are noticing uneven tire wear or if it's going to bother you thinking about it. Maybe a once a year "spring cleaning" type thing or if you happen to need tires, might as well get it done at the same time.

btw, you have a solid rear axle so you only need a front wheel alignment. If someone sells you a 4 wheel alignment, run!
Old 05-06-06, 01:55 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tetra7
Hey guys,

I'd like a little more help here. I am replacing my tires on Monday (finally dumping the Dunflops w/ the Mich.), and I was talking to the Lexus service guy about possibly getting an alignment while I'm in there while they balance and mount the tires. He said that I would need a 4 wheel alignment, and that didn't make sense to me. Is it possible to ask for only the 2 wheel or what gives?

TIA..
well if your buying the tires from LEXUS you should ask them to include alignment as complimentary... and let them do whatever they think .. 2 or 4 wheel but as far as i know i just got new sets of 20"s (aftermarket) and they did mention they were gonna do 4 wheel alignment don't really know what they did... but i never had a problem before or after.
Old 05-07-06, 12:13 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

TIA,

The front and rear drive on the GX is independent. This means each wheel is suspended independently of each other. Thus, each wheel has it's own alignment in relation to each other wheel.

In the days of solid differentials, only steering alignments were performed. The rear alignment was set by the mounting of the spring and never changed. With four wheel independent, each wheel affects the steering and straight tracking.

Only have a "four wheel laser alignment" performed using the latest of equipment

If your original tires wore evenly across without any cupping, your alignment should be fine with your lower mileage. But, if they wore excessively the inner or outer edges, or your having steering drivability issues, an alignment would be a consideration. Lexus would like to CYA their new tires by always recommending an alignment... needed or not in my belief. It's monies in the till. Doubtful they will do an alignment for free.

Remind them to replace all four valve stems while the tire is broken down. This is sometimes forgotten.

Lastly, depending on your current rims, have Lexus use the wheel edge matched weights rather than the stick -on inner wheel weight. You get a better balance over a longer time; meaning improved tire wear. Lexus wheel edge weights are chrome or color matched.
Old 05-07-06, 12:54 PM
trebien
Driver

Originally Posted by Tammy
<misinformation goes here>
You're so wrong it's not even funny.

Granted, many SUVs (especially upper-end) have independent rear suspensions these days...

The GX does NOT.
Old 05-07-06, 12:57 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

The front is IFS and the rear is a solid axle so the 4 wheel doesn't make sense to me. I have approx 40k on the tires w/ no uneven wear or pulling so I think the alignment is fine. I was wondering if it is common for ppl to get an alignment done when they replace all 4 tires, and if so, what kind of alignment.
Old 05-07-06, 09:04 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry ... My mistake. Thought only LX had solid differentials. GX too..eh? I stand corrected.

But regarding the alignment, if tire wear is even as previously stated, I wouldn't get it aligned.
Old 05-07-06, 10:29 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tetra7
The front is IFS and the rear is a solid axle so the 4 wheel doesn't make sense to me. I have approx 40k on the tires w/ no uneven wear or pulling so I think the alignment is fine. I was wondering if it is common for ppl to get an alignment done when they replace all 4 tires, and if so, what kind of alignment.

Tetra...
well its good to get your car aligned and balanced whenever you put new tires. specially if you haven't got alignment done in recent time. (usually once a yr is good on normal driving habits unless u notice steering imperfection or irregular tire wear).
So bottom line is if your changing tires get the alignment done.. it can never hurt but only help. Secondly... let people at lexus decide what kinda alignment they need to do on it. The cars with solid axles in the rear don't need CAMBUR alignment but MAY need TOE adjustments but not usually... so let lexus people do the alignment, they obviously know what to do.
Old 05-07-06, 10:38 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by super_cjc
I only do the alignment when it's off center or uneven tire wear is noticed.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

You know Why Alignment is recommended once a year or when u change tires?? coz steering pull is not neccessary even if your tires are out of alignment. and if you wait to see unever tire wear.. the damage is already done... so u know what i mean.
thats why you do it once a yr even if you think everythings ok... coz if your car is slightly out of alignment... it will take some time for tire to show uneven tire wear.. and its too late anyway.. its just to assure yourself that alignment is ok and would not damage your tire and eventually ur suspension components such as bearings as well.

So in this case even if its not broken.. u might still need to fix it before its already done the damage.
Old 05-08-06, 05:17 AM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Cool, I kind of figured that but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask you folks. Thanks for the info. I"ll be dumping the dunflops today for the X-terrains and look forward to it!
Old 05-11-06, 08:01 PM
trebien
Driver

Originally Posted by sayadil
The cars with solid axles in the rear don't need CAMBUR alignment but MAY need TOE adjustments but not usually...

Geez... here we go again.

Please, I beg you, explain to me how to set the "toe-in" of the rear wheels of the GX.

Quick Reply: Alignment for a GX