GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Ouch - the steering wheel is HOT

Old 04-16-05, 02:33 PM
john5519
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by et415
It's too bad Lexus doesn't offer remote start, so the a/c can get started too.
I just got an aftermarket remote starter installed in a 05 GX. They program it into your original key so no additional remote is needed. Works pretty nice although there are a few steps needed for starting. You have to press unlock on the remote once, then lock three times, then you must insert key in door to unlock again, then insert key in ignition. It was kinda a pain at first but as anything else you get used to it and it becomes second nature. There are simpler ones on the market but none that I am aware of that work directly from your factory key...

They are in CA but it does say on the website that you can order one and have your local Lexus dealer install it.

here si the link:
http://www.luxurymotorworks.com/luxl...mote_start.php
Old 04-16-05, 09:58 PM
Donger
Driver

Originally Posted by et415
Leaving the windows open a crack may also help by allowing airflow through the car while you're gone.

And don't forget the neat GX trick: hold the open button on the keyfob down for a few seconds and all the windows and sunroof will open remotely. That way you give the car time to air out and cool down for a few moments before you get into it.

It's too bad Lexus doesn't offer remote start, so the a/c can get started too.
You almost always have to crack windows a bit in the summer out here. In the 26 years I've lived in the Phoenix area, I've seen 2 cars that had their side windows explode out from the heat. You crack them to equalize the pressure, doesn't do much to lower the temp.

The remote open is okay if there is a breeze blowing, but it takes far too long to get the car's interior equal to amient temperature (which itself is way too hot).

I've found the best combo was in my old X5 - BMW built a nice little exhaust timer into their trip computer. You can set 2 different timers and the car will run the fan to exhaust the hot inside air and replace it with less hot outside air. I found doing one 20 minute run at about 1:00pm and another at 4:30pm helped when you plan on getting in around 5:00ish. It is a very simple thing to do, Lexus could build that funcion in with just a simple software upgrade.

And yes, I am still asking why I live here, but the pool is heating up nicly now. Time to take advantage of it before it too gets too hot (anyone like to take a swim in my 94 degree 'bath tub' in the back yard?).
Old 04-17-05, 09:51 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Pressure? I don't believe so, the car is not sealed, all cars are built with small amount of flow thru (for safety). It's the heat.

My suggestions, from Austin, TX, not quite AZ, but we have a lot of days over 100F also.

If you sure it not going to rain, lower the windows a bit (even 0.5 inch) and set the sunroof for the tilt up, but keep the shade closed except for about 2-3 inches.

As you approach the car, hold the remote to drop the windows and open the sunroof, while that is happening go to the back open the rear door. By that time the windows are down (or mostly down). Shut the rear door briskly, this helps push the air back out the windows.

Start, let the auto AC crank up, roll up the windows as you start moving, close the sunroof, then back to tilt. Close completely after a few minutes.

Works for me, and I don't mess with the silver sunguards (maybe just lazy?).
Old 04-18-05, 09:25 PM
Donger
Driver

Originally Posted by loflin
Pressure? I don't believe so, the car is not sealed, all cars are built with small amount of flow thru (for safety). It's the heat.
Your right, it isn't really pressure as all cars have vent systems and are not totally sealed. We just call it pressure as the glass blows outwards when it happens. I am sure there is a scientific reason why it happens and why it blows outward, but it is just easier to call it 'pressure'.
Old 04-19-05, 11:54 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If your Lexus is compatible, that is no radio or telephone antenna in the way, a good bet is a "NOAH" type car cover. Noah is a light weight proprietary fabric that is breathable, yet is great for indoor or outdoor use. It blocks UV light and the interior is dark in direct sunlight. Additionally, it blocks dust, dirt and pollutants. It's easy to handle and fold/roll up on the auto. I purchased mine custom fit from California Car Cover in Chatsworth,CA. (www.calcarcover.com) They warranty the cover for four years and will provide locking cable and eyelets if desired. A couple hundred dollars. I'm sure there are other very good cover makers, this is the one I decided on living in Arizona.
Old 04-19-05, 10:19 PM
Donger
Driver

Tammy - do you like your Noah cover? I had one for my GS4 and found that after a good wind or dust storm the fabric was full of dirt and made for some odd collections of crud on the paint. Yes, you can wash it, but as you know from living in AZ that during monsoon season, you'd be doing that a lot.

But, it is a good suggestion. I never considered a cover because of the size of the truck. I got my last one from California Car Covers, I'll look again and see what they have.

Thanks
Old 04-20-05, 06:24 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Donger... I use the cover every day.. I've had one on since Nov 2001. Have yet to wash it in a machine. I rinsed the dust off a couple of times using a hose and let air dry. I use a "bungy" cord fitted to hold the cover snug to the sides while in the wind. Folding and rolling in the wind alone is a little tricky, but with practice the cover works well. But it's not windy often. I chose the NOAH since it needs to resist our 120 plus direct sunlight and the desert dust. It performs this function perfectly!