GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-05, 11:38 AM
GX470Blue
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily Driver

I'm thinking about getting a daily driver that "DRINKS" less gas... Just courious if anyone on this forum has had the same thought as me and what cars they were considering...

I was thinking of getting a used camry or accord...
Old 04-08-05, 02:44 PM
RAM MAN
Driver School Candidate

You really have to do the math! What you may end up spending on insurance, maintenance, taxes and registration, not to mention the cost of the car. May possibly be more money than you will ever save on gas. On top it all you most probably won’t be driving a car that is as safe in a crash!
Old 04-08-05, 03:25 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RAM MAN
You really have to do the math! What you may end up spending on insurance, maintenance, taxes and registration, not to mention the cost of the car. May possibly be more money than you will ever save on gas. On top it all you most probably won’t be driving a car that is as safe in a crash!
I agree with a lot of what you say. But, if you want less gas... How about the RX hybrid? It would be much less of a steep jump from your GX.
Old 04-08-05, 03:38 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yaro1
I agree with a lot of what you say. But, if you want less gas... How about the RX hybrid? It would be much less of a steep jump from your GX.
i agree. go for rx400h
Old 04-08-05, 04:39 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

What part of the country do you live in, if you live in an SUV popular area then pay the added fuel cost of the truck, if your live in an area where the trucks and SUV are minimal then a switch to a camry or accord would be better.

I agree with RAM MAN, but whats your actual daily mileage, that could help in deciding
Old 04-08-05, 07:12 PM
davidc1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you drive more than 50 miles a day, I'd recommend getting a diesel (if available in your area). I would wait for more trackrecord on hybrids. Otherwise it's not worth it, like others have said.
Old 04-09-05, 01:08 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

If I could mod the RX Hybrid like these Prius that get 200mpg then I'd buy 1 other then that it's just a fast SUV with good fuel mileage when your not on it

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/02/bu...partner=rssnyt
Old 04-09-05, 03:49 AM
RAM MAN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by davidc1
If you drive more than 50 miles a day, I'd recommend getting a diesel (if available in your area). I would wait for more trackrecord on hybrids. Otherwise it's not worth it, like others have said.
Did someone say DIESEL?
Attached Thumbnails Daily Driver-cumm24v4.jpg  
Old 04-09-05, 04:38 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Lightbulb Actually that is a very good idea!!!

Originally Posted by GX470Blue
I'm thinking about getting a daily driver that "DRINKS" less gas... Just courious if anyone on this forum has had the same thought as me and what cars they were considering...

I was thinking of getting a used camry or accord...
....A good used 2001-2002 Toyota RAV4 2wd would be a nice commuter vehicle. EXCELLENT manuverability, good gas mileage, a breeze to park in tight spots, turns on a dime, good IIHS safety rating

One other point to consider is that the used vehicle (such as a 3 to 4 yr old RAV or Camry), has gone thru it's steepest depreciation curve. Besides that, being an inexpensive vehicle to begin with, and due to their VERY HIGH retained values, putting miles on them will not have much impact on resale in absolute dollar terms. Since your mileage will be shared on both vehicles this will keep the high-end GX at low miles enhancing it's resale value (or longevity if you plan on keeping it a long time.)

Last edited by vicpai; 04-09-05 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-09-05, 10:03 PM
Donger
Driver

What about a motorcycle? I am almost ready to get one - looking at a BMW K1200GT. Yes, it needs premium fuel, but it will get you 60+ mpg and you can run in the HOV lane.

Still a bit concerned about the safety of riding one, things have changed quite a bit in the 20 years since I last rode one. But if the weather is good, seems like a good alternative, especially when considering a BMW motorcycle - with the heated seats and grips, CD Changer and GPS - and 0.9% financing make it fairly affordable.

Now I have to convince the wife this is economical and has nothing to do with any mid-life crisis
Old 04-10-05, 06:06 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Daily driver

My daily driver is my GX, and I almost had a stroke when I saw $3.06 for premium today. I have about a year left on my lease, but I'm afraid it's going to take a lot of convincing to get me into another GX.

For me the size/space is nice (2 kids), my son and I both play hockey, so the cargo room is key. We have the RX, but for some lenthy trips it is too small, and my GS is really just for fun (read: sunny days)

I would totally consider a bike (motorcycle) as an alternative, but good weather only and I'd have to deal with the SAF issue (spousal approval factor)... I have bike right now and I ride, but if it wasn't my father-in-law's old bike, I probably would get grief everytime I went out , so not an option realistically.

As for the 2nd car option you need to think about everything mentioned by RAM MAN, and if you get something small to save gas, are you going to feel as safe in it as you do your GX (don't know what your commute is like)

When my GX goes back, I will most likely be getting an IS250AWD, but still not sure...waiting to get my hands on one for the weekend and a GS300AWD to do a nice comparo...if I like the IS - I go with that - if I like the GS I get that and give up my GS also..we'll see gonna be a tough call either way I think.
Old 04-10-05, 08:49 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Out of curiosity where in NY do you live? Here in Long Island (Syosset/Jericho) / Queens (Fresh Meadows)

Mobil gas has premium @ $2.49 / gallon and regular @ $2.29 / gallon...

Just my $.02...
Old 04-11-05, 05:15 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default $3.06 gas price

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
Out of curiosity where in NY do you live? Here in Long Island (Syosset/Jericho) / Queens (Fresh Meadows)

Mobil gas has premium @ $2.49 / gallon and regular @ $2.29 / gallon...

Just my $.02...
lonewolf - I'm in Westchester...most places around me are right around that same price you mentioned, but I happened to be in Armonk ($$$ - 1500sq ft town houses go for $1mil) and saw that price...on a side note- the Last Licks - sports memorabilia icecream shop was having a signing yesterday and some retired NY Yankee was there - whippin a tricked out Aston Martin DB7 Volante - Chrome 20's, dropped and so black it looked like you could jump right thru the paint.

GX470 Blue - sorry for the partial thread hijack.
Old 04-12-05, 04:39 PM
steevr
Pole Position

The GX is now our economy vehicle. We went from 10.9 avg mpg on our '97 Expedition to 15.5 avg mpg on our GX. The GX is a lot quicker too.

Yes, we could have done even better by buying a RAV4, but it won't pull our 5,000 lb boat.
Old 04-15-05, 10:27 AM
et415
Rookie

If gas prices are enough to get you out of your GX, then it probably makes more sense to sell it and buy a more economical vehicle. If you don't drive your GX, it's just sitting around depreciating, while you get no value from it. Right now, GX resales prices are pretty good. Then you could get another vehicle that is similar in quality to the GX (like maybe a Touareg diesel or RX hybrid or a luxury sedan like the ES300 or BMW 3-Series). Driving in a used Camry or Accord would be such a step down.....

One other thing to consider: Even if you go for a small economy vehicle, your fuel savings still won't be that much. Let's say you spend $50/week on gas, and your new vehicle gets twice the MPG that your GX gets (say going from 15mpg for the GX to 30mpg), you'll save $25/week, or $100 a month or $1200/year. To me, it doesn't seem worth it to get another car to save $1200/year. You could save about as much by getting rid of cable TV, making coffee at home instead of going to Starbucks, or foresaking another small luxury that we have come to take for granted paying for.

Last edited by et415; 04-15-05 at 10:40 AM.