GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-05, 02:37 PM
stl2chi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Extended Warranty

Has anyone purchased the extended warranty for their GX?

I am debating whether to purchase or not...

If you have purchased... which one and what did it cost?

thanks in advance
Old 03-19-05, 03:36 PM
gruan
Driver School Candidate

I purchased 6 years 70k miles extended warrany, it cost $1670. the dealer says they will fully refund if I don't claim any repair, so, it is like deposit 6 years without interest. does it worth ???
Old 03-19-05, 03:44 PM
Sub079
Driver School Candidate

I dont think they will refund you the money after 6 years. That's not how Extended Warranty works. If they refund you the money, then everyone would buy it. You might want to double check that information and get it in writing.
Old 03-19-05, 04:00 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They may refund a portion of it if you buy a new Lexus.

I purchased my old Land Cruiser used form a Toyota dealer. I purchased an extended warranty from them up to 100K miles. I think I paid around $1,400 at the time.

When I traded it in for my '04 LC (90K miles on the clock), I purchased another extended warranty up tp 100K miles (~$1,800) and they refunded me the unused portion on the old one. It ended up being just over $400.

I know I paid more for my extended warranty than yours, but keep in mind that the factory warranty for Toyota is only 3yr/36K for bumper to bumper and 4yr/50k for the powertrain, so the extended warranty covers more time.
Old 03-19-05, 04:12 PM
gruan
Driver School Candidate

I did sign a reimbursement guarantee contract. it says after the expiration date within 60 days, if no claims have been paid you qualify for the reimbursement, the dealer agree to reimburse the contract selling price, not to exceed $2500.00 ,
anybody else had the same one?
Old 03-20-05, 06:34 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gruan
I purchased 6 years 70k miles extended warrany, it cost $1670. the dealer says they will fully refund if I don't claim any repair, so, it is like deposit 6 years without interest. does it worth ???
Lexus bumper to bumper is 4 years 50k
Lexus Powertrain is 6 years 70K

you paid 1600 bucks for 20k, you should have gotten that for 800, don't matter now
Old 03-20-05, 06:35 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stl2chi
Has anyone purchased the extended warranty for their GX?

I am debating whether to purchase or not...

If you have purchased... which one and what did it cost?

thanks in advance
it's not a Lexus warranty, it's Toyota Platinum Care Extended Warranty or something, call your local Toy dealers and they should offer you a better price, any Toy/Lex dealer can hook you up just make sure to mention your calling around, the price suddenly drops

edit: does not need to be purchase at time of the new car, you have a year where they will give it to you at the new car price, after that it double to used car pricing
Old 03-20-05, 08:27 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

That's a well known scam by the "Warranty" company. It's used in the Spa industry. You can NOT get the money back unles you do X, then Y withon 1.5 days of the anniversary of the original purchase after first processing three sets of paperwork processed by Certified mail to an abstract addres, etc..Be aware. Check with your local state attorney for more details. BTW - It's a formal contract and you CAN't now get "out of it" even if it's rules are nearly impossible to comply with.
Old 03-20-05, 10:26 PM
gruan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone, I will go back on Monday to cancel that.
or Do you think I need that?

Last edited by gruan; 03-20-05 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-21-05, 09:54 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Thanks everyone, I will go back on Monday to cancel that.
or Do you think I need that?
If you can cancel it, it is probably the right move but like I said, if it's what I think it is, you probably have no way of cancelling it.. IIf you are interested in extended protection (in the form of a "normal" Lexus-direct warranty), I think that may be a wiser choice. I personal don't like extended warranties but some here appreciate the additional coverage. Treat it like it is insurance and you will be OK. Essentially you are betting that the vehicle will break within a certain timeframe. The mfg is betting that it won't. They would not be offering the coverage if the numbers did not support their position. You only have a fraction of the data that they have so your essentially making a bet with only about 2% of the data you would need to do this intelligently.
Old 03-21-05, 11:38 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by EDGE2
Lexus bumper to bumper is 4 years 50k
Lexus Powertrain is 6 years 70K

you paid 1600 bucks for 20k, you should have gotten that for 800, don't matter now

I have the extended warranty from Lexus. As I understand it, the warranty is 7 years, 100K miles. And if nothing has been done outside of the initial warranty (not using the extended warranty), the purchase price can be refunded. Again, if you use it for even a broken ****, it will not be refunded. So, you have to debate whether to use it for something simple or only for something big. Either way, it is transferrable as well, so it would make it more attractive to whom ever buys it from me. That is if I don't just trade it in (even than it is refundable if unused). So either you can bank on your perception of the longevity of a Lexus, or you can protect yourself against the replacement of one or more $1K computer controllers or other advanced features that exist on a truck like this. That is completely up to you. Having driven European cars past their factory warranties has me sold on ANY extended warranty. And that is, MY opinion.

Old 03-27-05, 11:55 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

from what i've read, the full refund is only within the first month of purchase, from there on if the warranty is still not used, then the refund will be a portion of the original amount paid.
i would suggest that someone confirm this by calling the lexus financials so that there is no confusion left regarding the refund policy.
Old 03-28-05, 09:18 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Smile Extended Warranty .... Personal taste

Originally Posted by Lexs400
from what i've read, the full refund is only within the first month of purchase, from there on if the warranty is still not used, then the refund will be a portion of the original amount paid.
i would suggest that someone confirm this by calling the lexus financials so that there is no confusion left regarding the refund policy.

I have not nailed the details of what the warranty refund covers, but "a" refund is what is possible under the oral description I was given. That was not "my" fundamental reason for purchasing it. I have owned European SUV's that, once out of warranty, seemed to consume some little known computer modules that always cost $1K. So, as a matter of course the extended 100K mile warranty was prudent in light of my past experiences. The benenfit is the possibility of passing on the warranty to whom ever purchases it from me. I think anyone in the "pre-owned" car market would prefer a vehicle that had some resemblance of warranty on it, than one without. Regardless, the warranty was purchased for my peace of mind to drop the repair on someone else's lap. It seemed a small amount to pay on something as complex a vehicle, as the GX, we all drive. That's about it.
Old 03-28-05, 11:36 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ADVocate
I have not nailed the details of what the warranty refund covers, but "a" refund is what is possible under the oral description I was given. That was not "my" fundamental reason for purchasing it. I have owned European SUV's that, once out of warranty, seemed to consume some little known computer modules that always cost $1K. So, as a matter of course the extended 100K mile warranty was prudent in light of my past experiences. The benenfit is the possibility of passing on the warranty to whom ever purchases it from me. I think anyone in the "pre-owned" car market would prefer a vehicle that had some resemblance of warranty on it, than one without. Regardless, the warranty was purchased for my peace of mind to drop the repair on someone else's lap. It seemed a small amount to pay on something as complex a vehicle, as the GX, we all drive. That's about it.
I had purchased the extended warranty when I bought a CPO 1998 Land Cruiser in 2001. The warranty extended coverage to 100K miles and I believe I paid around $1,400 for it.

During that time the starter died. Replacing the starter on the Land Cruiser/LX 470 requires removing the exhaust manifold at a cost of $650. Now keep in mind these are Toyota shop rates, Lexus would most likely be higher. The warranty also covered a loaner for four days (truck was in the shop over the weekend), so that total bill would have been over $700.

The power antenna also died, which was covered under the warranty. I was told that if I paid out-of-pocket, the cost would of been close to $200 for parts and labor.

So we're talking about $900 used of the warranty. When I traded in the '98 for my '04 Land Cruiser, the '98 had about 89K miles on it.

The dealer told me I was entitled to a prorated refund on the unused portion of the extended warranty. I ended up receiving a check for $400 from Toyota. So with all that said, I got almost all my money out of the warranty.

I ended up buying an extended warranty for the '04 as well. I intend to keep it up to at least 100K miles, and I know they're not cheap to fix.