GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Miss Quadra-drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-05, 05:46 AM
TexGX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well to prove Thai was not lying.
Attached Thumbnails Miss Quadra-drive-alexus-stuck.jpg  
Old 03-22-05, 10:42 AM
98Nav400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexGX
Well to prove Thai was not lying.
Kind of a different note; but do you have other pictures of that front guard..manufacturer, etc...

I can't imagine all of the muck plastered under the floorboards/steps after that mud run. I imagine you'll have stuff dropping out of there for weeks and weeks...
Old 03-22-05, 06:28 PM
GXPrado
Driver

Originally Posted by bgsntth
Howdy,

I've heard that if no wheels have enough sufficient traction, that Toyota's can get stuck, but did not think the GX suffered from this malady. I had a '00 Grand Cherokee (V8, Up-Country), and it never got stuck-just spun whatever wheels had the most traction. Only reason I'm concerned is that I do go off-road in really remote locations, where getting stuck means a day walking.
Many people don't understand how the GX/4Runner ATRAC system works. At least it works as advertised, not like QuadraTrac which has been proven to not work at all as advertised.

Center Diff Lock will give you a 50/50 front rear split of power, essentially 2 wheel-drive.
Limited-slip or anything like that is 1-wheel drive.
Locked rear/ center diff lock is 3-wheel drive and locked front/rear is true 4 wheel drive.

Traction control uses teh ABS which is why it's noisy (same with DAC) but it works in many situations well. It puts a % of power to the non-slipping wheel.... but if your wheel has zero traction, 50% of 0 is still 0 traction. That's where lockers come in.

If you learn to use the ATRAC it will get you through alot of stuff, people just don't bother and just gun it if they start getting stuck- which effectivly "turns off" your ATRAC.
If you don't lock the center diff, gunning it will "turn off" the ATRAC and activate the VSC which just bogs you down.

All it is learning your truck and it's capabilities. If you understand what your truck can do, you can do alot with it and not get frustrated.
Old 03-23-05, 08:36 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

If you read my first post, you will see that I said I was going over a wood-chip pile and up a steep creek. For both situations I was crawling at 1-3mph, and giving only enough throttle to keep forward momentum. I was in 4-low, first-gear, center-diff locked, and the ATRAC was working, BUT when all wheels lost traction-the GX failed to proceed forward. In the Suby, I gently applied throttle and steered back and forth. The Suby "stopped" a few times, BUT the spinning wheels combined with the AWD and rear limited slip found enough traction eventually to proceed forward. The electronics never "turned off the fun".

When I was doing my little turn-around, I found that 4-high, second gear, center diff locked, and "2nd Start", with barely enough throttle to keep moving forward, was the only thing that worked.

What did I do wrong here for these given situations?

Fully admit to being a hooligan in the Jeep, and fully dispensing with the "gentle approach". The Jeep always felt to me like the Mustang GT Cobra of SUVs, hence the different driving style.
Old 03-23-05, 11:37 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

bgsntth,

What are the tires on your GX and Jeep?
Old 03-23-05, 12:06 PM
bgsntth
Rookie

Hola,

I had the standard Goodyear SR-A's on the Jeep and have Revo's on the GX (woodpile, creek). The last time I was on the Ranch for the turn-around maneuver, however I had the Michelins on the GX-which was a big contributing factor for getting the Revos.

I'm anxious to see how the Revo's effect things on my "Ranch" tours. I've driven the same off-road route in a myriad of vehicles, so it gives a good reference toward each vehicles stengths and weaknesses. I'll post pics at some point.
Old 03-23-05, 12:58 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

You need to apply more throttle next time.
Old 03-23-05, 03:48 PM
GXPrado
Driver

Originally Posted by bgsntth
If you read my first post, you will see that I said I was going over a wood-chip pile and up a steep creek. For both situations I was crawling at 1-3mph, and giving only enough throttle to keep forward momentum. I was in 4-low, first-gear, center-diff locked, and the ATRAC was working, BUT when all wheels lost traction-the GX failed to proceed forward. In the Suby, I gently applied throttle and steered back and forth. The Suby "stopped" a few times, BUT the spinning wheels combined with the AWD and rear limited slip found enough traction eventually to proceed forward. The electronics never "turned off the fun".

When I was doing my little turn-around, I found that 4-high, second gear, center diff locked, and "2nd Start", with barely enough throttle to keep moving forward, was the only thing that worked.

What did I do wrong here for these given situations?

Fully admit to being a hooligan in the Jeep, and fully dispensing with the "gentle approach". The Jeep always felt to me like the Mustang GT Cobra of SUVs, hence the different driving style.
I was not criticizing your driving, but speaking generically about the ATRAC system. People just dont understand it or project thier experience with old ATRAC technology.

I can't comment really since I wasn't there but turning the tires to hunt for traction, Center diff lock and 4-lo are all good things to do for maximum traction.

The reason I would question your driving is that a open-diff Subaru did better which would seem to indicate driver error. Without center diff lock, the GX is also a limited-slip open-diff just like the Subaru.

Now I don't intend for that to sound like I'm belittling your driving, just that there is a learning curve with it and varying the line you take over an obstacle can greatly affect how or if you make it over.

In generic terms though, there is no offroad condition that I can think of where a Subaru would beat a GX. Obviously, this happened for you but hopefully it won't happen again to hurt the GX pride!
Old 03-23-05, 04:05 PM
bgsntth
Rookie

No offense taken GXPrado. Most of my post was really getting at gaining knowledge, as I "thought" I was doing everything I should have been-given the situations. The difference I think with the Suby is that there are no electronic nannies, and the driver has more opportunities to influence the situation.

The Outback XT is no off-roader, but it is a kick in the pants on dirt roads, and does have 8.9 inches of ground clearance and very advanced AWD system.

Last edited by bgsntth; 03-23-05 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-23-05, 04:31 PM
GXPrado
Driver

The GX has the Torsen limited slip - which is the best. I will hazard to say the GX has the best open diff 4wd system in production today.

If you really want true 4x4 traction capability, you have to lock up the diffs. There is no substitute for it.

The ATRAC is great but has it's limitations however, learn the system and I'm sure you will handily out-drive the Subaru in every situation.

If you or anyone reading is in the socal area and wants to offroad, PM me. We are not into trashing vehicles or getting people over their heads. I'm constantly learning myself.
If you're interested in learning some offroading driving, there are alot of opportunities in the area.
Old 03-24-05, 06:11 AM
TexGX
Rookie

Default Grill Guard

98Nav400,

The grill guard is from WAAG. Here is a Pic.
Attached Thumbnails Miss Quadra-drive-grill-guard.jpg  
Old 05-23-05, 12:43 AM
bliksem
Driver School Candidate

Just found this thread. I have done quite a few offroad trips with my 4Runner, which has exactly the same ATRAC systems as the GX. The trick is to lock the center diff and apply just enough gas for the system to kick in properly. Rule of thumb is to keep at 2000 or so RPM. What tends to happen is that people back of or give more throttle when encountering an obstacle which makes it difficult for the ATRAC system to respond correctly. Just keep the throttle constant at 2k RPM with center diff locked, you will get used to the brake system clattering. It works really well.

Video going up a pretty steep hill with loose gravel, and one rear and one front wheel off the ground.

EDIT:
I have another one of going through a mud pit and again the same situation. WIll try to post it later. But here is a picture. Ok here is the video. Notice that when I let of the throttle the one rear wheel stops, then when I apply throttle again it start going.

Last edited by bliksem; 05-23-05 at 01:04 AM.