GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lawyer Screen

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-05, 09:02 PM
Donger
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lawyer Screen

Is there any way to disable that lawyer screen in the NAV on startup? I am guessing not, but I thought I'd ask. What a pain to push that okay button every time.
Old 03-06-05, 08:53 PM
darylhuff
Rookie

I agree, it is really stupid that we have to hit the "I Agree" button every friggen time the car is started up. What makes it worse is that once the car is in motion you can't actually do much of anything with the nav of phone system anyway.

I know this isn't a government regulation since my wife just got an 05 mercedes with integrated navigation and you don't have to hit a "I Agree" button *and* you can acutally operate the nav system while the car is in motion.
Old 03-07-05, 07:02 AM
lyxxsx1
Driver

I know a few of my friends already choosen the Acura MDX just because it's NAV can be operated while in motion. I have a Acura TSX, and I ended driving it much more then my GX470, mainly because of the same reason. So, it definitely not because of any safety or government regulation issues. Plus, the Acura Navi voice commands sure put my Lexus' to shame.
Old 03-07-05, 02:06 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

??? Getting ready to take delivery of the '05 with NAV system and this is news to me...? Please explain in detail about NAV not working while in motion? How are you suppose to tell which exit you'll be getting off, how many miles you have to go where you are on the road, heading north, south, east, west, etc... If you can't use it while driving...
Old 03-07-05, 03:31 PM
DSW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
??? Getting ready to take delivery of the '05 with NAV system and this is news to me...? Please explain in detail about NAV not working while in motion? How are you suppose to tell which exit you'll be getting off, how many miles you have to go where you are on the road, heading north, south, east, west, etc... If you can't use it while driving...

What they mean by it "not working while in motion" is that you cannot enter addresses while driving. You have to stop in order to operate it in that sense. But once you enter an address, the nav will certainly operate and direct you while in motion.
Old 03-07-05, 03:44 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lyxxsx1
I know a few of my friends already choosen the Acura MDX just because it's NAV can be operated while in motion. I have a Acura TSX, and I ended driving it much more then my GX470, mainly because of the same reason. So, it definitely not because of any safety or government regulation issues. Plus, the Acura Navi voice commands sure put my Lexus' to shame.
Then I'd have to say a few of your friends are nuts! They bought a Soccer Mom car just so they can enter an address in the nav while driving? That's gotta be the stupidest reason to buy an MDX I've heard yet. I guess you guys get lost alot huh?
Old 03-07-05, 04:35 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bareyb
Then I'd have to say a few of your friends are nuts! They bought a Soccer Mom car just so they can enter an address in the nav while driving? That's gotta be the stupidest reason to buy an MDX I've heard yet. I guess you guys get lost alot huh?
That's funny. Very good
Old 03-07-05, 07:48 PM
loflin
Pole Position

BTW, for those who may not know, you do get full NAV function while driving with RSES (including entering addresses), but of course it is from the back seats, using the remote!

So get your spouse to chauffeur you around while you truly are a backseat driver (with computer aided directions)
Old 03-08-05, 07:22 AM
davidc1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about you guys but I think it's very difficult to enter a new address while driving and you shouldn't be allowed to. It takes too much attention. But you can do anything else while driving (calling up saved destinations, etc..) so what's the big deal? Are we really that busy?
Old 03-08-05, 11:10 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
I don't know about you guys but I think it's very difficult to enter a new address while driving and you shouldn't be allowed to. It takes too much attention. But you can do anything else while driving (calling up saved destinations, etc..) so what's the big deal? Are we really that busy?
I have to agree here with davidc1 also b/c on our 01 MB S500 you can enter the address while driving. I did this a couple of time while driving (off course I was being very careful-didn't want to get in a wreck) and it was very distracting and outright kind of dangerous.

Lexus should allow you to enter the address when there's a front passenger .
If it's just the driver alone, then it should be disabled.

Cell phone, make-ups, screaming kids...... drivers need to pay attention to the road, not be distracted I'm sure most of us are capable of multi-tasking, but it would be safer for us when others are not that capable-I'd rather be safe than to have someone plow into me just b/c that driver is distracted

Last edited by GS3Tek; 03-08-05 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-08-05, 11:24 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bareyb
MDX a soccer mom car?? I think not my friend

Jonny
Old 03-08-05, 02:16 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by davidc1
You must be the guy on the side of the road working the NAVI and waiting on a truck to rear end him. IMHO, disabaling the NAVI while in motion is STUPID. I do have an 04 Acura TL with NAVI that is configurable while in motion. This is an EXCELLENT feature. Many users decide to change destinations while in motion. Just think about it... Sally soccer mom needs to go to the soccer field to pick up Suzzy (future soccer pro) but needs to find a post office along the way. Wouldn't it be great if she could just say "Find nearest post office" and the NAVI system could provide a listing of the nearest ones and let her select it WITHOUT HAVING TO STOP? Of course it would (And in the Acura, it DOES). Whereas in the POS NAVI that comes with the GX, you have to pull over to the side of the road and attempt to find a post office (BTW - On the Acura it's a quick button on the third screen whereas on the GX there IS NO way to easily find a Post Office... Just try it. Even while stopped it will take you over 5 minutes if you can find one at all). Love the GX, Hate the GX's NAVI!
Old 03-08-05, 02:19 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I have to agree here with davidc1 also b/c on our 01 MB S500 you can enter the address while driving. I did this a couple of time while driving (off course I was being very careful-didn't want to get in a wreck) and it was very distracting and outright kind of dangerous.

Lexus should allow you to enter the address when there's a front passenger .
If it's just the driver alone, then it should be disabled.

Cell phone, make-ups, screaming kids...... drivers need to pay attention to the road, not be distracted I'm sure most of us are capable of multi-tasking, but it would be safer for us when others are not that capable-I'd rather be safe than to have someone plow into me just b/c that driver is distracted
I agree that "manually" entering information "could" be dangerous but isn't that the reason for the "Voice recognition"? You don't need to touch anything. Just say what you want (while driving). Works in my TL this way, why not in the GX?

Note: The GX does allow this but ONLY with previously stored addresses (Like "home" and pre-stored addresses) thereby making the voice feature useless 98% of the time.

Last edited by bunka; 03-08-05 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-08-05, 03:29 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is interesting that most people respond to this is as if they never have a co-pilot. I think it would be great to have the passenger place entries into the Nav system without having to pull over. I have been in more than a couple of situations where allowing that very situation to happen is safer than pulling over on the freeway, because you ALREADY are going to one destination and are curious about a different one. I think it completely lame for Lexus to not considerater that as a viable option. Sure, keep the legal screen, and leave the option for data entry for those who can use proper judgement. They could even use the passenger seatbelt detector as the safety variable to allow front passenger operation. If you stick a toolbox on your front passenger seat to over-ride that option and kill youself ... that would just be nature's way of calling you home early.
Or do we now have to take IQ tests now to purchase a vehicle ??
Old 03-08-05, 07:59 PM
sickman
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have an answer to OP's question, I'd really like to know as well. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Lawyer Screen