GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Spoiler - 2 bolts vs 4

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-05, 08:52 AM
Donger
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoiler - 2 bolts vs 4

Thanks to everyone that gave me the link install thread for the aftermarket spoiler.

It seems everyone has installed these spoilers using just 2 of the 4 bolts supplied with the unit. Are there any issues with doing this? Seems that a 5lbs spoiler would be fine with 2 bolts until you add 80mph wind force (true, it isn't directly in the wind). I am a bit concerned that it might come off over time.

Anyone able to get the other 2 bolts installed without drilling through the inner wall of the door? If so, how?

Thanks
Old 03-03-05, 09:03 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Three Holes

Originally Posted by Donger

Anyone able to get the other 2 bolts installed without drilling through the inner wall of the door? If so, how?
You need to drill three holes. Two for the bolts and one for the wires.

~ Cap
Old 03-03-05, 01:08 PM
Donger
Driver

Originally Posted by Capirato
You need to drill three holes. Two for the bolts and one for the wires.

~ Cap
Naturally you need the hole for the wires. I am just focusing on the mounting points. Since the spoiler has 4 bolts, but you can only realistically fasten 2 of them - is that a problem?

I figure if they give you 4 bolts, then you need to fasten them all. Or is this aftermarket spoiler just designed poorly and you really are only suppose to use 2 bolts?
Old 03-03-05, 06:13 PM
john5519
Driver School Candidate

check my thread again at the very bottom. I recommend using 2 screws, it's VERY sturdy:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...3&page=2&pp=15

"Installation was very easy. We (my girlfriend and I ) drilled 5 holes and only ended up using 3 of them. We just could reach 2 of them as they were too far away from the factory existing holes located in the upper corners on the inside door. The two screws are very secure though, so I would recommend only using the two screws instead of four. Also saves you from going through two walls instead of the one.

The supplied instructions were easy for the drilling and mounting of the spoiler but the wiring diagram was awful."
Old 03-03-05, 08:44 PM
Donger
Driver

Default It is done

I took the back apart looking for a way to get the last 2 screws in. Just no way that I could figure out how to do this without removing the rear window, so I bolted it up with the 2 bolts plus the hole for the wires. I put it on myself, I could have used a second hand positioning it, but it ended up lining up well. Very un-nerving to drill that first hole into a 2 month old Lexus, but after that, the install went perfect. Thanks to all the postings, it helped make the wiring a snap. All together, I was done in 45 minutes.

I sent the company a request for better install instructions, their reply was to use all four bolts - duh , if I knew how to do that, there wouldn't be an issue. I approximated where that second set of bolts would actually come out. I looks like it hits right on the crease of the upper back window surround - even if you drilled through that wall, it would take a 3/4" hole drilled on a crease with no real way to plug. So, 2 bolts is the way to go with these.

I put some thread-lock on the bolts and cranked them down. You can feel a little up/down wiggle in spoiler, but overall it feels very sturdy. I guess the big test will be to take it to the automatic car wash. The lens cover came with some adhesive rubber stripping and snapped right in. Looks very nice. The LED brake like is very bright - seems like a quality spoiler.

If anyone is interested, I can post a pic.

Thanks again
Old 03-03-05, 08:51 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Spoiler

If anyone is interested, I can post a pic.
Please do.

~ Cap
Old 03-04-05, 09:49 AM
rjfiore1
Driver

Default I used 4 bolts

I admit it. I used four bolts. Yes, the first 2 that everyone uses is easy. But I just had to use the other 2. I ended up drilling 2 larger holes on the inside to access the bolts. OK, I wasen't happy really w/ the install, but It sure is secure. And the holes that I did drill on the inside I was able to partly cover up w/ the plastic trim, and then there was a bit showing of the hole so I covered them up w/ grey elec. tape, since my truck is grey. So I spent 200 for the spoiler (painted) and installed it for free, or of course I could have spent another 500 for a total of 700. Nah, I'll deal w/ the holes...
Old 03-05-05, 03:31 PM
Donger
Driver

Default Pic

Quickly ran outside and grabbed a pic of the spoiler - sorry it is dark, there is a huge storm coming (I thought I was living in Phoenix - what's up with this rain).

I think this one shows the cover for the brake lens. I've put 150 miles since the install, most at 80+ mph. Still holding on with the 2 bolts

Old 03-05-05, 06:05 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Lens Cover

I think this one shows the cover for the brake lens.
Still holding on with the 2 bolts
Donger.....

Does the Lens Cover replace the red lens of the third light ?? Or does it just stick on top of the original red lens ??

~ Cap
Old 03-06-05, 09:51 AM
Donger
Driver

The lens cover replaces the 3rd light. You pull the whole thing out.

The cover comes with some weatherstripping to put around the end and snaps in place. Seems like a nice tight seal to keep the weather out.
Old 03-06-05, 12:55 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Light Cover

The lens cover replaces the 3rd light. You pull the whole thing out.

The cover comes with some weatherstripping to put around the end and snaps in place. Seems like a nice tight seal to keep the weather out.
Donger.....

Thanks for your response. I have written the Company where you got your spoiler and asked them if they sell the cover separately. I'm waiting for their response.

I feel sure they could do it if they wanted to. All they would have to do is paint an extra cover when an order comes through. Heck, they may already have a supply of painted ones. I will let you know, as I know that there is a bunch of guys out there who could use a cover. I will eventually paint the red lens, if I can't get a painted cover.

~ Cap
Old 03-13-05, 08:33 PM
Donger
Driver

Cap - did they come through on selling you a cover?
Old 03-13-05, 08:45 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Cover

Cap - did they come through on selling you a cover?
Donger.....

I sent them two messages. One through their website and another directly to their e-mail address. Have not heard back from them.

~ Cap
Old 03-14-05, 12:09 AM
john5519
Driver School Candidate

Give them a call at 1-888-294-3040, toll free of course... The lady that used to answer is very nice, I forget her name but she was very helpful the few times I called.. Has a cute Texas accent too..
Old 04-14-05, 09:19 PM
Donger
Driver

Default Bolt Update

In case anyone is interested I now have 1500 miles and 2 automatic car washes on the spoiler with just the 2 bolts. Still holding like it was just installed. Time will be the true test, but seems to be okay.

Now that I post this, the thing will fly off on the freeway tomorrow