GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Is there a gain control on the amp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-05, 08:28 PM
Donger
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a gain control on the amp?

I've had my '05 for a few weeks now. I think the only thing that is a dissapointment is the Mark Levinson audio. Lexus makes it out to be some big thing. I'll take the Nakamichi in the older cars any day. This thing sounds no better than the standard audio on my Honda Pilot.

Anyway, I've messed with all the settings in the Nav screen. I know I am hoping for a lot, but does anyone know if there are manual gain control ***** on the amp (and if so, where is the amp)?

The way Lexus advertises this thing, you ought to be able to get a little more out of it, I would think.
Old 02-28-05, 05:12 AM
jdh62
Driver School Candidate

I agree as the Mark Levinson system has been disappointing to me as well. I was expecting a lot better from a high end manufacturer. I have been more impressed with the Harmon Kardon system in my E320.
Old 02-28-05, 06:45 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Is it just me or does it seem that the M/L puts out almost nothing out of the subwoofer next to the right 3rd row seat? The front woofers in the lower doors really crank nice, but I actually thought the subwoofer was not working. When I put my hand up to it, I can tell it's working, but the front woofers do a much better job.
Old 02-28-05, 07:12 PM
MarcP
Driver

Originally Posted by steevr
Is it just me or does it seem that the M/L puts out almost nothing out of the subwoofer next to the right 3rd row seat? The front woofers in the lower doors really crank nice, but I actually thought the subwoofer was not working. When I put my hand up to it, I can tell it's working, but the front woofers do a much better job.
So glad you said that - I was just about to have mine checked at the dealer - I have the same issue - the front door woofers are great but the subwoofer output is mediocre at best... very hard to believe but maybe it's normal...?
Old 02-28-05, 08:03 PM
Donger
Driver

That is one of the reasons I put up this post. I crawled back there and you could tell it was doing something. Turning up the volume, you can feel the other speakers, but even with your hand on the cover, I can't tell if I am feeling the subwoofer or the vibration from the front speakers.

I've had the Nakamichi in previous Lexus vehicles and the subwoofer actually did something. The sound was full, which just seems to be missing here. I was thinking about taking it back to the dealer, maybe the speaker wire fell off. But it seems others are experiencing this too.

I've also had the H/K system in a BMW - very nice system. I see that Mark Levinson is a registered trademark of Harman International. I would guess these systems come from the same parent company. So how come they sound better in the German vehicles?

Anyone getting actual sound (not just muffled, very slight vibration) from the rear subwoofer?
Old 02-28-05, 08:46 PM
GX470forme
Driver School Candidate

I thought the same thing when I got my GX.

However I did some research, actually a lot of research and even talked to one of the main guys at Harmon who helped design the GX470 system.

The rear sub is working as it is supposed too. It is only there to add balance and bass for the rear seating postions. The main bass comes from the front bottom speakers and is designed that way on purpose.

There is a web page on Mark Levinson's web site dealing with each of the Lexus vehicles.

I think I have the email saved from the people who designed the GX470 system and will see if I dig it up.

If you look at the amount of work that went into it, it is really impressive. I mean Mark Levinson designed the placement of the speakers for each vehicle, now that in itself is very cool.

Mark Levinson is more about proper instrument reproduction and quality, rather than being the loudest and most bassy (if there is such a word).

Mark Levinson really shines when listening to classical/orchstra type of music as it catches every instrument very precisely and very clearly.
Old 02-28-05, 09:05 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mark Levinson WebSite

Originally Posted by GX470forme

There is a web page on Mark Levinson's web site dealing with each of the Lexus vehicles.
http://www.marklevinsonlexus.com/overview.asp?model=gx

~ Cap
Old 02-28-05, 09:34 PM
Donger
Driver

Thanks for the link. No doubt they put some work into the system. It still isn't very impressive. Perhaps classical sounds great on this system. But what about other music (I like jazz myself and at low volume with all the windows up, it is okay). I don't need a lot of bass for that, but it seems like a little extra coming from the back would be a good thing.

An if you open the windows and sunroof - might as well shut the system off completely, not enough power to overcome the wind noise.

But - these are all nits - I jut took a peak at the old BMW X5 forum I use to frequent before getting my GX. They are talking about engine and transmission failures on new '05's with 1,000 miles on them. I'll take a weak audio system any day.
Old 03-01-05, 06:49 AM
MarcP
Driver

I think I have the email saved from the people who designed the GX470 system and will see if I dig it up.
love to see that email if you can find it...
Old 03-02-05, 09:32 PM
steevr
Pole Position

It's funny to watch the look on a front seat passenger's face in my '02 RX when the stereo is at mid to high volume.....the factory subwoofer is under their seat. That subwoofer definitely blows the rear GX subwoofer away, however, I must admit that the woofers in the bottom of the GX's front doors do a better job than the subwoofer in the RX.
Old 03-07-05, 07:35 PM
GX470forme
Driver School Candidate

Ok, found the email, here it is....

> Subject: bass performance in the GX470
>
> Here is the response I received from our system engineering regarding
the
> GX470:
>
> The philosophy on the proper frequency distribution/reproduction
used in
> the ML systems has always been as follows:
> 1) The subwoofer should handle only the octave below the lowest
frequency
> the front door woofers can play competently. This will help limit the
sub
> to more omnidirectional frequencies, eliminating any localization of
the
> bass.
> 2) The subwoofer is not the ideal device to reproduce anything but
the
> very lowest of frequencies without compromising definition and
attack.
>
> In keeping with the above, the front door neo 6X9s play very
competently
> down to just about 40 Hz. The rear hatch sub reproduces from 20-45
Hz. The
> Lexus owner is correct that the primary bass (notes from bass guitars
> etc.) are coming from the front door woofers, as intended. The lowest
> octave from the sub is difficult to localize to the rear hatch.
>
> Please advise the customer. Recommend that he play Sting's "Brand New
Day"
> and go back to the rear cargo area and listen to the sub.
>
> Please note that there are plenty of CDs that have very little
> energy/content below 40 Hz.
>
>
>
> I hope this provides some more insight
>
>
> John McMullen, Sales Engineer
> Harman/Becker Automotive Systems
> Ph: (248) 994-2752, Fax: (248) 994-2900
Old 03-08-05, 04:31 PM
MarcP
Driver

Ok, found the email, here it is....
Thanks for the interesting read! Makes me feel better as well because I was initially disappointed in the rear subwoofer performance.
Old 03-08-05, 07:23 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Default It still amazes me that people seem to understand so little about audio

Seems like a lot of people complain about the base yet don't realize why the sub only does so much. A GOOD sub is designed to reproduce ONLY the lowest frequencies. The ML system accomplishes this VERY well (Watch a DVD like NEMO in the unit and you WILL hear accurate BASS reproduction. Seems like the original poster here was dissapointed because the sub woofer didn't reproduce certain frequencies. Sounds to me like he wanted a WOOFER back there (not a sub-woofer). A woofer is the crap that you see the teenagers riding around with in the back of their civics. The Thump-Thump-Thump they are reproducing isn't in the range a typical sub is deisgned to play in but rather is in the "above 40Hz range". Ever heard of "Flim and the BB's" Jazz CD? They've got extensive dynamic range. Go buy one of those (I recommend the one titled "Tricycle") and listen to it LOUD. You will be blown away. SO, if you want to listen to the "Big Bass" the kids like, go out and buy yourself a Big Box and throw it in the back. If on the other hand you truly appreciate good sound reproduction, go thank the guys at ML for their efforts.
Old 03-08-05, 08:30 PM
Donger
Driver

My original post had nothing to do with thumping bass. It was a simple question of why I couldn't hear anything from the subwoofer. The simple explanation was found in the frequency cutover designed into this system.

Since I did not design this system, how would I have known that?

But thank you for your insulting reply. I enjoy being compared to obnoxious Honda Civic drivers.

And it seems to me that if a lot of people complain, as you stated, then maybe a lot of people feel the same way as I do.
Old 03-08-05, 10:17 PM
GX470forme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bunka
Seems like a lot of people complain about the base yet don't realize why the sub only does so much. A GOOD sub is designed to reproduce ONLY the lowest frequencies. The ML system accomplishes this VERY well (Watch a DVD like NEMO in the unit and you WILL hear accurate BASS reproduction. Seems like the original poster here was dissapointed because the sub woofer didn't reproduce certain frequencies. Sounds to me like he wanted a WOOFER back there (not a sub-woofer). A woofer is the crap that you see the teenagers riding around with in the back of their civics. The Thump-Thump-Thump they are reproducing isn't in the range a typical sub is deisgned to play in but rather is in the "above 40Hz range". Ever heard of "Flim and the BB's" Jazz CD? They've got extensive dynamic range. Go buy one of those (I recommend the one titled "Tricycle") and listen to it LOUD. You will be blown away. SO, if you want to listen to the "Big Bass" the kids like, go out and buy yourself a Big Box and throw it in the back. If on the other hand you truly appreciate good sound reproduction, go thank the guys at ML for their efforts.
What an *ss you are. Not everybody is a audio expert. This guy was asking a simply question. Maybe you belong in a civic forum, your attidtude seems more fitting to their mentality.

Quick Reply: Is there a gain control on the amp?