GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Other then size why buy a LX470?

Old 02-21-05, 08:18 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other then size why buy a LX470?

Since the GX and LX have the same engine/transmission/electronic controls and luxury features why other than the need for size would anyone buy the LX over the GX? The LX is a 1998 design that weighs 1000 lbs more then the GX so it is big and slow compared to the GX and it is a dated design. Also if you are going to buy a LX because you need the room then why would anyone buy a 2005, when a 2000 is almost equipped the same, meaning they have made very few improvements. Hell they didn't even add the VVTi engine yet!!! I was just reading a car mag where they were doing a comparison of the luxury SUV's and the mag is a 2003 issue. The LX came in last because it was a dated design (they liked it but it was old design compared to the other brands) and that was in 2003. How can Toyota/Lexus not make any major design changes on their top model for what is going to be 8 years before a design change? Comments???
Old 02-21-05, 08:27 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PitBull
Since the GX and LX have the same engine/transmission/electronic controls and luxury features why other than the need for size would anyone buy the LX over the GX? The LX is a 1998 design that weighs 1000 lbs more then the GX so it is big and slow compared to the GX and it is a dated design. Also if you are going to buy a LX because you need the room then why would anyone buy a 2005, when a 2000 is almost equipped the same, meaning they have made very few improvements. Hell they didn't even add the VVTi engine yet!!! I was just reading a car mag where they were doing a comparison of the luxury SUV's and the mag is a 2003 issue. The LX came in last because it was a dated design (they liked it but it was old design compared to the other brands) and that was in 2003. How can Toyota/Lexus not make any major design changes on their top model for what is going to be 8 years before a design change? Comments???
i feel a hunch of a redesigned LX anytime now, but no word yet.
Old 02-21-05, 09:08 PM
darylhuff
Rookie

The only reason I could figure out is that some people have an extra $20k or so rattlin around in their pocket and they don't know what else to do with it.
Old 02-22-05, 05:37 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

night vision system
Old 02-22-05, 11:20 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

If it was not for the price many Toyota Truck owners would be driving LandCrusiers and LX's, I would not say it's dated cause it has all the same stuff as a GX, the GX is more outdated with all the LX options put under a different skin

The FJ100 has a lot of history for being an offroad vehicle, I'd take 1 with an SC over a GX
Old 02-22-05, 12:30 PM
john5519
Driver School Candidate

My friend just bought an 05 LX, I have the 05 GX. First thing I noticed when I got inside (drivers seat) that there is a noticeable difference in shoulder and leg room. I have longer legs than most and my foot was further away from the gas pedal, which is a good thing for me. The passenger is also sitting a bit further away from you. I know on paper the specs aren't much difference between the two trucks but it's very noticeable to me...

I am going to go as far as to say the LX is also a bit quieter and the ride is different also. I can't pinpoint the ride, but it doesn't seem to shimmy us from left to right like the GX does over bumps. I've been in a 05 Range Rover and I liken it to that ride.

The center console is great in the LX, as is the power retracting mirrors, power opening rear side windows and heck , why didn't the GX get a spare change holder?

Oh also keep in mind that we live in L.A. , status symbol capital of the world, and the LX is one step up from a GX and one down from a Range Rover which is what a lot of celebs drive...

Now are all those differences worth the extra money? hmmm
Old 02-22-05, 03:00 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EDGE2
If it was not for the price many Toyota Truck owners would be driving LandCrusiers and LX's, I would not say it's dated cause it has all the same stuff as a GX, the GX is more outdated with all the LX options put under a different skin

The FJ100 has a lot of history for being an offroad vehicle, I'd take 1 with an SC over a GX
Never thought about the GX being dated using the LX stuff? I guess what I was thinking about when I started this thread. I was looking at a used LX470 and started looking at the changes too the LX from 2000 - 2005 and it kind of hit me that basically it is the same vehicle, not many additions. Then when you look at how much more you pay for a newer model with the same miles as the older model it just did not make sense to buy a newer or a new LX (at least to me) But a lot of stuff does not make sense to me, just ask my wife. I posted a similar question on the IHMUD LC/LX site and they started calling me names and a Troll. Must of hit a sore spot with a couple of them? I will end up with another LC or an LX in a few years, want to let the price go down after the new model comes out. I'm cheap!!
Old 02-22-05, 06:08 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I found an LX470 on a benz lot in the used car area, truck was loaded and the dealer was asking 40k with 5000 miles on it, no idea where the truck is now or why the MB dealer had it, never thought about it cause it just did not occur to me but I should have jumped on it.

Those IHMUD guys really like LC/LX, but that goes without saying on any car when it has such a reputation, I've yet to really read anything bad about them.
Old 02-22-05, 06:11 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by john5519

why didn't the GX get a spare change holder?
If you don't use the Ash Tray, you can get a replacement Coin Box for about $25 from Japan Parts or Carson Toyota.

~ Cap
Old 02-22-05, 06:11 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Pitbull
can you get into t4r.org, I can't
Old 02-22-05, 06:33 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EDGE2
Pitbull
can you get into t4r.org, I can't
I understand the server went down and they have to reload everything.
Old 02-23-05, 08:11 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I don't have an LX, I do have a Land Cruiser, actually I'm on my second one.

As someone else mentioned, the ride is just different. I can't put my finger on it and I have owned many SUVs in my life, but aside from knowing that you're driving such a big vehicle, it doesn't feel like it.

I have sworn that as long as I have a need for an SUV, I will have nothing but a LC/LX. Now I hear that a redesigned version is due soon and it will be based on the Sequoia platform.

It's sacrilege.

I may have to keep my '04 for a LONG LONG time.
Old 02-23-05, 08:19 AM
MarcP
Driver

Originally Posted by Capirato
If you don't use the Ash Tray, you can get a replacement Coin Box for about $25 from Japan Parts or Carson Toyota.

~ Cap
Cap - this is something I've been looking for - can you help with some info (part numbers, contact info, etc.) to get this part? Does it just replace the entire ashtray assembly or is it just the "guts"? I'd be looking to order it from Carson (I'm assuming they are in the states).

Thanks!

Marc
Old 02-23-05, 09:01 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Coin Box for GX

Originally Posted by MarcP

Cap - this is something I've been looking for - can you help with some info (part numbers, contact info, etc.) to get this part? Does it just replace the entire ashtray assembly or is it just the "guts"? I'd be looking to order it from Carson (I'm assuming they are in the states).

Thanks!

Marc
Marc.....

It replaces the box, you keep the front panel.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=844

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Other then size why buy a LX470?-coinbox.gif  
Old 02-23-05, 09:10 AM
MarcP
Driver

Originally Posted by Capirato
Marc.....

It replaces the box, you keep the front panel.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=844

~ Cap
Thanks for the response Cap! Do you have one of these? Is is just a felt lined version of the ashtray? Is it easy to install?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Other then size why buy a LX470?