GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Questions from new owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-05, 05:29 AM
db6
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions from new owner

Just picked up an '05 with sport package this weekend. Great forum. A couple of quck questions-

Anoyone have trouble syncing up their phone? I have a Moto v600 and the phone connects, but have not been able to get the phone book to synch. Any hints?

Doer anyone know of a cargo area cover the fits when the third row of seats is taken out? I tend to leave golf clubs in the vehicle and would like them to be out of sight.

Two days - 300 miles - love this thing.

Thanks in advance,
Donald
Old 02-21-05, 12:19 PM
db6
Rookie

Default Valentine one question

anyone have thoughts on a good valentine one installation?
Hardwired with concealed display?
Old 02-21-05, 08:38 PM
Donger
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by db6
Anoyone have trouble syncing up their phone? I have a Moto v600 and the phone connects, but have not been able to get the phone book to synch. Any hints?
You need to start the phonebook transfer from the phone itself. I don't have this phone, but there should be a function to transfer phonebook in all the menus of your phone. You need to set the GX in transfer mode and then send from your phone. Worked perfect with my SE T637.

The only short-fall is that once transfered, I haven't found a way to edit the phonebook. You can delete entries, but not modify them. Seems like an easy feature Lexus should have added (or I just haven't found it yet).
Old 02-21-05, 09:06 PM
darylhuff
Rookie

Originally Posted by Donger
You need to start the phonebook transfer from the phone itself. I don't have this phone, but there should be a function to transfer phonebook in all the menus of your phone. You need to set the GX in transfer mode and then send from your phone. Worked perfect with my SE T637.

The only short-fall is that once transfered, I haven't found a way to edit the phonebook. You can delete entries, but not modify them. Seems like an easy feature Lexus should have added (or I just haven't found it yet).
I know how to delete the entire phone book, but I don't know how to delete and individual entry in a phone book. How did you do that?

I agree that it seem lame not to have added the capability to edit an entry once it has been transferred. I love most things about the car, but the "Big Brother" mentality of this car is over the top. The touch screen is next to useless when the car is in motion. I already hit the "I Agree" button to take responsibility and perhaps it isn't the best idea for the driver to dial a phone number when the car is in motion, but what if the passenger wants to dial, or look up a destination, ... And what's up with the fact that I have to be in Park to select a new seat position. I don't know how many times I've pulled away only to find out the seat is in my wife's preset position. I'm sure it's so much safer to reach down and manually change the seat position while driving. I'm surprised they let me change radio stations while the car is in motion.
Old 02-22-05, 05:39 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

the new navi lets you do alot more while your driving then our older ones and i know if it were disabled i woulda gotten in a wreck with my vehicle along time ago..
talkn on the phone is one thing
entering destinations and searching though poi's is another
Old 02-22-05, 07:06 AM
db6
Rookie

Default found out with the v600 you can only

send the phone book entries one at a time. It's slow, but it works. Can't find a way to send the whole book at once.
Old 02-22-05, 06:27 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Whoa???

I have resisted buying a bluetooth phone (Verizon) because I was told that there were "bugs" regarding phone book transfer, etc. But I did not know that once you are moving you can't dial? Is that true (like so many other functions of the NAV? That would make the wireless bluetooth essentially worthless and prompt me to seek out an override...

that is ridiculous.
Old 02-22-05, 07:03 PM
luckylex
Rookie

Originally Posted by darylhuff
I know how to delete the entire phone book, but I don't know how to delete and individual entry in a phone book. How did you do that?
To delete a single entry, it is the same method, but instead of pressing the "delete all" button, just press the single entry you want to delete and it will delete. So, go to settings, press delete next to "phone book", then press the entry you want to delete. I don't find it that big of deal not being able to edit in the car, it is just as easy to delete the single entry and then add/transfer the new one to take its place.

I have read many posts in different forums that motorola phones won't transfer the whole phone book, only single entries. I have a new Treo 650 and encountered a different bug when transfering. When trying to transfer from the "contacts" in the phone, it would only transfer the name and not the number. What I learned (by accident really), is that it would only transfer the name and number if I had input the contact directly into the phone (as opposed to transferring the contact into the phone by syncing it to my desktop pc). Once I figured that out, I created a new category in my phone contacts where I inputed the most used numbers that I wanted, then transferred the whole category to the car at one time (as opposed to one entry at a time or all of the phone's contacts at one time). Done!

I think the bluetooth in the GX works great!. Not being able to use the nav screen when moving is crazy. To me it is even less safer to have to pick up your phone to dial in digits. However, I have entered most of the one touch buttons which you can dial while moving, so that makes a lot of calls easier. Also, as I learned in another forum here, I have Sprint, and programed a one touch button with * which dials Sprint voice command, so that then I can voice command dial everyone in my Sprint phone book. Bascially it is hit one button, even while moving, and call anyone I need to by voice command. It makes the car system a much better voice command system. The really bad thing is you can't use the nav screen key pad when the car is moving for punching in passwords, voice mail retrieval, etc. Again, you have to pick up your little phone to dial it, and that is a pain.

edit:

P.S. - IMPORTANT - If you are replacing one entry in your phone book, do NOT try to replace it by sending the one entry and choosing "overwrite". When I did that, it overwrote the whole phone book, not just the one entry I wanted to correct. You should delete that one entry and then add (instead of overwrite) that entry. For example, if you have 30 numbers transferred to your car, and you realize that the phone number is wrong in one of entries (which, of course, you can't edit). Do not try to fix it by sending that one entry again by "overwrite", as it will overwrite the entire phone book so that you delete all 30 entries and replace it with 1 entry.

Last edited by luckylex; 02-22-05 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-22-05, 09:13 PM
Donger
Driver

Look on the bright side - you do get, what, 18 speed dial slots that you are able to use while driving. I don't call enough people to fill up the first 6 on the screen.

The think that is really a bother is that stupid laywer screen you have to accept and hit enter every time you start your car. Has anyone figured out how to rig that to stop?
Old 03-03-05, 07:02 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone in here told me about this site for floor mats and cargo mats.

It's a great site.

http://mats4less.com/gx4702003.html