GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Does the Rear Spoiler Do Anything

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-05, 09:40 PM
Donger
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the Rear Spoiler Do Anything

I am getting ready to have the rear spoiler added to the truck. I think it makes the truck look a bit better, but was wondering if anyone had experience running with and without one? Does it do anything for the rear window? I had a spoiler on my old BMW X5 and it seemed to keep the rear windows a bit more clean in the rain.

I've noticed that without the spoiler, driving at slower speeds, the rear window on the GX gets all mucked up (seems okay at freeway speed). Would be nice if the spoiler actually helped a little in this respect.

Getting a factory-like spoiler installed - total price is about $500 installed (they come to the house and do it). The price seems a bit high - I've seen them advertised for about $300 painted. Is it really $130+ worth in labor (figure the company is marking up the part a bit too, plus they are traveling to my location).

Thanks
Old 02-20-05, 09:43 PM
john5519
Driver School Candidate

see my post here (at the bottom, last reply)..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...3&page=2&pp=15
Old 02-20-05, 10:06 PM
Donger
Driver

Thanks for the link. I am sure this is the same kit - I've seen that picture before.

Installing it yourself seems to be a few holes and some wiring. I am assuming from what I can tell in the picture that the spoiler sits over the top of the window washer jet and the existing lens on the 3rd brake light is covered by a body-color insert. Is that correct?

Is that how the factory units are done?
Old 02-20-05, 11:42 PM
john5519
Driver School Candidate

That is correct...

The factory unit looks exactly the same to me....
Old 02-21-05, 04:25 AM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sure does. I drove about 2 weeks before it came in. I noticed a difference in the amount of dust on the back window. Much less after the DIY install.

MAC
Old 02-21-05, 03:38 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Donger
I am getting ready to have the rear spoiler added to the truck. I think it makes the truck look a bit better, but was wondering if anyone had experience running with and without one? Does it do anything for the rear window? I had a spoiler on my old BMW X5 and it seemed to keep the rear windows a bit more clean in the rain.

I've noticed that without the spoiler, driving at slower speeds, the rear window on the GX gets all mucked up (seems okay at freeway speed). Would be nice if the spoiler actually helped a little in this respect.

Getting a factory-like spoiler installed - total price is about $500 installed (they come to the house and do it). The price seems a bit high - I've seen them advertised for about $300 painted. Is it really $130+ worth in labor (figure the company is marking up the part a bit too, plus they are traveling to my location).

Thanks
I have had Rear Wind Spoilers installed on man y SUV's. 4Runner (1986,1990,1996), RX300, Land Cruiser (94). They have all done justice to nearly eliminating back spray onto the rear window. The GX's rear spoiler does an awful job though. I don't believe it redirects enough air traveling from over the roof onto the rear window to make a difference. In fact, I actually notice concentrated areas of dirt and road moisture near the center of the window with edges near where the arms of the spoiler are located. I cannot explain exactly why this is, but for some reason it is ineffective, and perhaps worse.

I've owned two 03 GX's and One 04 GX. All with spoilers. There was a period of time after I broke my spoiler off (on the garage door) and for that two weeks, it seemed just fine without the spoiler during wet snow road conditions.
Old 02-25-05, 06:30 AM
nyc11370
Rookie

Default $500 mandatory option

it is a $500 mandatory option, that's the reason...
Old 03-01-05, 04:08 PM
Donger
Driver

I ordered and just received the spoiler from autoairplus.com, as 'John5519' recommended. I was surprised how fast it arrived, completely painted and ready to install. It is silver pine and the paint is very well applied (including the lens cover for the factory 3rd brake light).

It cost $249 including shipping and painting.

So now the real chore begins as I try to install it when I get a free weekend.

Since the instructions are crap, any words of advise? From previous posts, it seems using 2 bolts to hold it in is the best way to go.

It comes with 2 small rubber things - I think the instructions call these 'hole guides'. Since they are made of a compressible rubber material, I was wondering if I should install it with these rubber parts in place (instuctions say to remove them). It would appear to protect the holes against the weather and act as a cushion for the spoiler against the door.

Second question - when aligning the mounting feet, do they line up with the top edge of the door? From eyeballing it, is seems the countour of the feet fit best in this position.

Thanks
Old 03-01-05, 07:36 PM
Donger
Driver

Default One more question

I was looking at where the second set of bolts would connect. As stated before, you can't get to them via the factory hole.

Can you get to that area if you remove the inside trim around the rear window? Has anyone pulled that trim? What type of tools do you use, I don't want to just yank on it.

Thanks
Old 03-01-05, 08:16 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Donger

Since the instructions are crap, any words of advise? From previous posts, it seems using 2 bolts to hold it in is the best way to go.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...606#post832606

~ Cap
Old 03-01-05, 09:52 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by looknow12
I have had Rear Wind Spoilers installed on man y SUV's. 4Runner (1986,1990,1996), RX300, Land Cruiser (94). They have all done justice to nearly eliminating back spray onto the rear window. The GX's rear spoiler does an awful job though. I don't believe it redirects enough air traveling from over the roof onto the rear window to make a difference. In fact, I actually notice concentrated areas of dirt and road moisture near the center of the window with edges near where the arms of the spoiler are located. I cannot explain exactly why this is, but for some reason it is ineffective, and perhaps worse.

I've owned two 03 GX's and One 04 GX. All with spoilers. There was a period of time after I broke my spoiler off (on the garage door) and for that two weeks, it seemed just fine without the spoiler during wet snow road conditions.
I think the way Lexus integrated the spoiler could have been better. The rear break light is in the center and BEHIND the spoiler (i'm not talking the LED lights either). This causes a disturbance in the airflow around the brake light which leaves the edges clear but the center dirty.
Old 03-02-05, 09:04 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tetra7
I think the way Lexus integrated the spoiler could have been better. The rear break light is in the center and BEHIND the spoiler (i'm not talking the LED lights either). This causes a disturbance in the airflow around the brake light which leaves the edges clear but the center dirty.
Makes sense.
Old 03-02-05, 07:02 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

my physics teacher told me this, a spoiler on any veicle doesnt really do anything unless you're like going over or atlease 110mph, people get spoilers for show, GXs look good with spoilers anyways
Old 03-02-05, 07:41 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Actually your physics teacher is half right...the true nature of a spoiler is downward force that is normally required at high speeds. However for SUVS, the spoiler is meant as a way of redirecting the back air to help keep the back windows cleaner. So functionally, there is a purpose. Just not the one you were thinking of.
Old 03-02-05, 07:56 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

oh ok sorry, she just said a spoiler for a vehicle, not which type my b

Quick Reply: Does the Rear Spoiler Do Anything