GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

AIC-100i install for iPod integration

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-05, 08:20 PM
darylhuff
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIC-100i install for iPod integration

I got my AIC-100i from VAIS Technology (http://www.vaistech.com) last Thursday and I got the unit installed and working over the weekend. I've been waiting for months for this to become available and now that I have the unit installed it is just what I wanted.

I took some pictures during the install process and created a web site with the pictures and description of how I installed the unit. If you're mechanically inclined at all it isn't that hard to do the install yourself. If you have two left thumbs, better get someone else to do the install. The pictures and description are at:
Old 02-20-05, 09:19 PM
Donger
Driver

Default Thanks for the post

Nice documentation - thanks for taking the time.

How does the unit function if you want to connect both the iPod and XM sat radio? Do they both go through the MD interface or would you run the XM to the MD interface (so you can see the data on screen) and run the iPod to the AUX interface and control the unit via the iPod's controls?

Would be cool if you could get both working via the MD display and have the data show on screen for both devices.

Donger
2005 GX470
Old 02-20-05, 09:40 PM
john5519
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the post. Very nice and detailed.

I was going to buy the AIC unit and then saw this last night. Hope it's true but will probably be a while before it comes out....

Think you can handle one more iPod rumor? No? Well, this might be a good time to discover the scroll wheel on your mouse. Ok, for everyone still reading this, Mac4Ever is reporting that a Motorola product manager in France has “accidentally” confirmed that Apple is going to introduce an iPod with built-in Bluetooth (ostensibly for wirelessly streaming audio to your car stereo or something along those lines). This comes in addition to all the other gossip lately that Apple is going to unveil a new 5GB or 6GB iPod mini (possibly with a color LCD screen) and may or may not be rolling out new versions of the 20GB and 40GB iPods that come in the iPod mini colors. Not sure we’re feeling this latest one (as much as we’d love to see more MP3 players with Bluetooth), but the one thing we do know is that whenever the Apple rumor mill starts grinding ‘em out all fast and furious like this it usually means that there is something big on the way.
Old 02-20-05, 09:50 PM
Donger
Driver

Even if they have a Bluetooth iPod, I don't think it will work with the GX (or most other automotive Bluetooth technology). I took a Bluetooth scanner to the GX and it only reports having an "audio gateway' service available. This is the Bluetooth version of a corded headset.

With a software change and the addition of something like the OBEX service (for transfering the ID tags), one might get it to work, but then you'd sill just get the sound out of the front left speaker like the phone.

With that said, if the rumor is true, I'll bet you see Bluetooth adapters that will hardwire into your system and allow you to connect a Bluetooth audio device(s) . Could a Bluetooth XM device be too far behind? Hmmmmmm.
Old 02-21-05, 12:02 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Viewing Nav

Originally Posted by darylhuff

I got my AIC-100i from VAIS Technology (http://www.vaistech.com) last Thursday and I got the unit installed and working over the weekend.
Daryl.....

Nice job on your pictures and instructions !!

How do you switch back and forth from viewing the Map and Ipod ??

~ Cap
Old 02-21-05, 12:35 AM
john5519
Driver School Candidate

Daryl, I don't suppose you did the dvd override mod while you were in there? Do you know which wire to cut? In the thread below it says the violet wire with red stripe. The only problem is that unit shows 4 wire harness connections (2003 model) while your photos have only 3. I also have a 2005...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=87880
Old 02-21-05, 05:09 AM
darylhuff
Rookie

Originally Posted by Donger
Nice documentation - thanks for taking the time.

How does the unit function if you want to connect both the iPod and XM sat radio? Do they both go through the MD interface or would you run the XM to the MD interface (so you can see the data on screen) and run the iPod to the AUX interface and control the unit via the iPod's controls?

Would be cool if you could get both working via the MD display and have the data show on screen for both devices.

Donger
2005 GX470
VAIS Tech does have an AIC-100x for XM/Sirius radio integration. One could also connect an XM radio via the AUX inputs in the AIC-100i unit, but you wouldn't be able to control the XM/Sirius from the Lexus radio or steering wheel controls. There are external head units for XM/Sirius that could be mounted on the dash. I don't know of a solution that allows both iPod and XM/Sirius integration.

Monster has an iPod integration unit coming out soon(http://www.monstercable.com/iCruze/), but it has two major deficiencies when compared to the VAIS Tech unit. You don't get the ID3 (song name/artist) to display on the nav head unit, and you lose your CD changer. I probably won't be using my CD changer much now that I have iPod integration, but it is still nice for playing a CD that you don't have ripped yet.
Old 02-21-05, 05:12 AM
darylhuff
Rookie

Originally Posted by Capirato
Daryl.....

Nice job on your pictures and instructions !!

How do you switch back and forth from viewing the Map and Ipod ??

~ Cap
You get to the MD changer mode by hitting the "disc" button a few times. Once there, you switch back and forth between the map view and MD changer view by using the "MAP" and "AUDIO" button.

BTW, when you switch to another audio source (e.g. radio) the AIC-100i does pause the iPod. It's a pretty slick solution.
Old 02-21-05, 01:14 PM
nkostaki
Driver School Candidate

Daryl,

thanks for the very informative how-to. Might I ask for your help on one thing (or anyone's who's about to install the AIC-100i):

Can you tell me any numbering, product id, p/n of the touch screen in your car?

I'm thinking of installing the AIC-100i A/V in my 2005 Toyota Land Cruiser (European version), That's actually 90% of a GX470 badged as a Toyota. I've talked with Vaistech in length and they seem unsure if there's an issue of my screen being a PAL or NTSC unit, so as to accomodate input from the NTSC rear-parking camera they use.

I tend to think that this could be irrelevant and am trying to confirm if ALL screens are indeed of the same type, regardless of market and Toyota/Lexus badge. We are of course talking about the same DVD Nav unit (apparently not the MY 2005 GX470 Bluetooth-enabled version, but the 2003-2004 version); my system is just like the one shown in your pics.

BTW, before one attaches the AIC-100, if you press the Disc button does anything happen?

Thank you,

Nikolas Kostakis
2005 Toyota Land Cruiser (Prado)

Last edited by nkostaki; 02-21-05 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-21-05, 05:27 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a toyota xm or sirius kit i forgot what it was called the prius forum people have it installed.. i forgot the link and what not but its nice.. its got full touchscreen support becuase it is supported from toyota
Old 02-21-05, 08:32 PM
darylhuff
Rookie

Originally Posted by nkostaki
Daryl,

thanks for the very informative how-to. Might I ask for your help on one thing (or anyone's who's about to install the AIC-100i):

Can you tell me any numbering, product id, p/n of the touch screen in your car?
Sorry, it probably would have been a good thing to snap a picture of the S/N plate on the radio and nav screen while I had them accessible, but I didn't.
Old 02-23-05, 02:44 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default DVD overide

So does the Vias unit that you installed overide the DVD and Rear camera so you can see these anytime you want? Or is this install strictly for playing Ipod?
Old 02-23-05, 07:00 PM
darylhuff
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tony
So does the Vias unit that you installed overide the DVD and Rear camera so you can see these anytime you want? Or is this install strictly for playing Ipod?
Strictly for iPod.

There is another thread that talks about how to override the DVD cut-off on the front screen. You're not going to find any real company that will offer a product that overrides the DVD cut-off. It's against the law to have a TV (or DVD) viewable from the drivers seat while the car is in motion. I'm sure any company that offered such a product would be contacted by the NTSB in short order.
Old 03-06-05, 06:40 AM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

Nice Job
Does the system charge the iPod?
Old 03-06-05, 08:41 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default VaisTech AVIC-100

Originally Posted by darylhuff

There is another thread that talks about how to override the DVD cut-off on the front screen. You're not going to find any real company that will offer a product that overrides the DVD cut-off. It's against the law to have a TV (or DVD) viewable from the drivers seat while the car is in motion. I'm sure any company that offered such a product would be contacted by the NTSB in short order.
~ Capirato
Attached Thumbnails AIC-100i install for iPod integration-vaisavic-100.jpg  

Quick Reply: AIC-100i install for iPod integration