GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX vs RX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-05, 07:29 PM
BlackLexEs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX vs RX?

hey how is everybody

anyway, i have my 96 coach edition es300 with about 94k miles..runnin fine...but now i am in the need to buy a GX....now i have driven then RX 300 for a month and RX 330 for a week...personally i like the RX300 better than the RX330....but is the GX better than the RX 300? please post your opinions as they will help me in deciding to purchase one...i am goin in for a test drive as soon as i am free

thanks
-BLE
Old 02-17-05, 08:01 PM
ShakMan
Rookie

BLE

The best thing to do is to drive a GX and decide. We owned a Rx for 3 years before upgrading to the GX and love it. Apart from the obvious spec (v8 vs V6), the GX offers much more. For instance, it rides higher than a RX. Also on the RX, there seemed to be a blind spot on the drivers side if you were looking left and changing lanes.

Also, GX offered more luxury items that we did not have on the RX, things like GPS, rain sensor wipers etc and not to mention better towing capacity. There is too much to write here regrading the GX, but all I can say from my experience is its great and we love it. We love the extra cargo space also at the back.

There are some owners here who have reported vibration issues etc but we dont have issue with our 04 Gx. If you are concerned about the vibration issue, have your sales guy put it in writing. Either way, its a great vehicle to own..Hope this helps
Old 02-17-05, 08:32 PM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

Default Ble

Really depend on your need and budget. Roomier, take the GX; however, it's about $10,000 more than the RX.
I tried the RX as a loner when I had my GX in service. The first thing I noticed is the engine, it's not too smooth compared with the V8. Although RX is faster in 0-60, I still like the GX's smoothness. I mean why even care about that since it's so luxury.
Just yesterday (Feb 15th) in New York Times, there is a complaint about RX's failures in power brakes Here . I'm glad that not happens in GX.
Test Drive the GX, you will like it!! Good Luck!!
Old 02-18-05, 10:48 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are two different vehicles and comparing them is apples to oranges.

THe GX is based of of a traditional body-on-frame truck platform with a low gear transfer case. As a result, you have better off-road capability (if that's important to you), more power from the V8 and better towing capability.

The RX is a hybrid, as a result, you get a more car-like ride, and better gas mileage. It depends on your needs.

GPS is available in both.
Old 02-18-05, 02:01 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DavidsGX
Really depend on your need and budget. Roomier, take the GX; however, it's about $10,000 more than the RX.
I tried the RX as a loner when I had my GX in service. The first thing I noticed is the engine, it's not too smooth compared with the V8. Although RX is faster in 0-60, I still like the GX's smoothness. I mean why even care about that since it's so luxury.
Just yesterday (Feb 15th) in New York Times, there is a complaint about RX's failures in power brakes Here . I'm glad that not happens in GX.
Test Drive the GX, you will like it!! Good Luck!!
Brake problem, keep in mind RX is being built in Canada and GX is built in Japan in the best factory in the world
Old 02-18-05, 04:17 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by EDGE2
Brake problem, keep in mind RX is being built in Canada and GX is built in Japan in the best factory in the world
Some RX's are still being built in Japan; I think the loaded lux package RX's are still in Kyoto.
The RX330 has had rain sensing wipers from the beginning.

I bought an 04 RX330 at launch (fresh from Japan), in March 2003, and I really enjoy having it - it really had a ton more gadgets than the GX at the time (power rear door, HIDs, backup cam), but the GX has since caught up.

I like the RX alot, it's a great "everyday" car, not too big and not too small. Sometimes I wish I had 3rd row seating, but then again, the extra 5-6 mpg is worth having the RX for now compared to the 2-3 times per year I carry more than 5 people.

I will say, however, that I drove the GX and loved the buttery smooth V-8 much more than the relatively rougher RX engine (too rough for a Lexus, IMHO), but at the end of the day, the gas mileage was more important to me given the skyrocketing prices in gasoline; I drive about 18,000 miles a year, so good mpg is a big factor for me.

It's a real tossup. I am pretty sure next time I will get a V-8 because I'm a bit of a power freak and the roughness of the V6 is getting on my nerves after 32k miles. The interior is so refined, but the engine in the RX could use a little work. I'm sure the hybrid RX will be a smash hit with more hp and obviously quieter engine due to hybrid technology. - perhaps you could look at that one also, if you are willing to wait till the summer...
Old 02-18-05, 07:39 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexuslover
Some RX's are still being built in Japan; I think the loaded lux package RX's are still in Kyoto.
The RX330 has had rain sensing wipers from the beginning.

I bought an 04 RX330 at launch (fresh from Japan), in March 2003, and I really enjoy having it - it really had a ton more gadgets than the GX at the time (power rear door, HIDs, backup cam), but the GX has since caught up.

I like the RX alot, it's a great "everyday" car, not too big and not too small. Sometimes I wish I had 3rd row seating, but then again, the extra 5-6 mpg is worth having the RX for now compared to the 2-3 times per year I carry more than 5 people.

I will say, however, that I drove the GX and loved the buttery smooth V-8 much more than the relatively rougher RX engine (too rough for a Lexus, IMHO), but at the end of the day, the gas mileage was more important to me given the skyrocketing prices in gasoline; I drive about 18,000 miles a year, so good mpg is a big factor for me.

It's a real tossup. I am pretty sure next time I will get a V-8 because I'm a bit of a power freak and the roughness of the V6 is getting on my nerves after 32k miles. The interior is so refined, but the engine in the RX could use a little work. I'm sure the hybrid RX will be a smash hit with more hp and obviously quieter engine due to hybrid technology. - perhaps you could look at that one also, if you are willing to wait till the summer...

you forgot to mention the lighted LEXUS silver trim on the door!
Old 02-18-05, 09:20 PM
BlackLexEs
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the help i will keep this in mind!
Old 02-18-05, 09:22 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had both too.. The RX was good but the GX is pretty impressive
Old 02-19-05, 03:29 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

lexuslover
I guess since your RX was 1st it was slightly ruffer around the edges, the GX V8 is freakin smooth, after I switched to M1 I sware you could put your head on the engine and not feel it vibrate, I luv the V8 but I have also been considering a 400h but then if they put a hybrid engine on the V8 that would be killer
Old 02-19-05, 07:19 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Smile Ex-RX, Current GX owner

We too had an RX prior to this GX. Although the GX is for business whereas the RX was a family car. The GX is significantly nicer than our old 2000 model RX. The Newer RX's are a significant improvement but I have a buddy that has both and he too prefers the GX (His wifes) over his own RX330 (Both of theirs are 2003 models). Bottom line is that the GX is more luxrurious but it's also significantly more $'s. If you have the $'s, I would recommned the GX. If you want to save a little coin, the RX is a great value.
Old 02-20-05, 10:05 AM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Default GX Hands Down

For the extra money, the GX is well worth it. Check out my review to get a feeling of how the GX is : Yaro1's review

I had an RX 300 and love the GX ten times more. The inside is buttery soft in terms of leather and the V8 is absolutely loveable. I am in a deep passionate love with the sound that V8 makes when the pedal meets the floor. However 11 MPG when I do that is a little harsh but I average 13-14 in normal conditions.

Go for the GX if you can. Otherwise the RX is still nice, but I considdered both and went with the new GX over the new RX
Old 02-20-05, 11:14 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yaro1
For the extra money, the GX is well worth it. Check out my review to get a feeling of how the GX is : Yaro1's review

I had an RX 300 and love the GX ten times more. The inside is buttery soft in terms of leather and the V8 is absolutely loveable. I am in a deep passionate love with the sound that V8 makes when the pedal meets the floor. However 11 MPG when I do that is a little harsh but I average 13-14 in normal conditions.

Go for the GX if you can. Otherwise the RX is still nice, but I considdered both and went with the new GX over the new RX
Yaro - Why such poor fuel economy (13/14)? Do you do 100% in town, stop and go driving? I ask because we normally average 17.0-17.5/miles per gallon and up to 21 on the interstate (driving from Virgina to NC while paying attention to the fule use diligently). We burn regular fuel only and think our numbers are in line with the expectations. 13 to 14 just seems about 50% lower than I would expect or have seen with others on here and is contrary to my actual results. Do you burn premium fuel? You know that burning premium may actually hurt your fuel economy in these trucks, right?
Old 02-20-05, 11:28 AM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bunka
Yaro - Why such poor fuel economy (13/14)? Do you do 100% in town, stop and go driving? I ask because we normally average 17.0-17.5/miles per gallon and up to 21 on the interstate (driving from Virgina to NC while paying attention to the fule use diligently). We burn regular fuel only and think our numbers are in line with the expectations. 13 to 14 just seems about 50% lower than I would expect or have seen with others on here and is contrary to my actual results. Do you burn premium fuel? You know that burning premium may actually hurt your fuel economy in these trucks, right?
All I do is stop and go. In my town, there is a stop light every 1000 ft (No exaggeration). To make matters worse, they are aligned such that you must stop at every one according to the speed limit. Imagine that! I hit about 23 lights in the morning on my way to church (45 Sec-2 mins each depending on other variables). For traffic, my area of NJ stinks. Yeah, on the highway for trips (god I need more of those) I average about 20. Otherwise, all I do is stop and go and I just guzzle gas. It is a shame, but it saves me a minute or two because sometimes hard acceleration pays of by making it just as the next light turns yellow as I go through. Those extra minutes pay off because it is maybe a couple dollars of extra gas but $100s if I am late for an appointment sometimes. And a sedan is out of the question for the snow I get, so I just have to put up with the gas milage. However, I see a 2006 GS 300 AWD in my future.

And yes, I do use premium fuel, I can't bear feeding my GX anything less. I see it like a difference between feeding a family member french fries and a burger(regular) and caviar and champagne (Premium). I tried regular once and heard thumping in my previolus Lex and didn't feel like experimenting on this one (this one I bought, the other was a lease. hehe. )
Old 02-20-05, 12:59 PM
honestjack
Driver School Candidate

Default RX is a Soccer Mom Car

RX is a very nice car, but is a true soccer mom car. All I see are nice suburban mom's tooling about with kids in the back. The GX is more masculine and obiously more exclusive since it is still low volume. I bet I get some push back on these comments.

Quick Reply: GX vs RX?