GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2005 GX470's: Are you experiencing the Clunk?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-05, 10:23 PM
DSW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 GX470's: Are you experiencing the Clunk?

I have been reading some mixed reviews here in regards to the "CLUNK". I am referring to that feeling as if hit from behind shortly after coming to a stop. Some are saying it still exists in the 2005 while others are implying that it has been resolved.

Just to be perfectly clear.... Has anyone experienced this "Clunk" in a 2005 GX?
Old 02-11-05, 02:44 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

The search function does wonders but if that does not work scrolling down just a few threads will bring you to another 2005 thread 2005 GX470's - Are you experiencing any vibration issues?
Old 02-11-05, 05:34 AM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default No

For what its worth - I had it in my 2003 and dont have it in my 2005 (I have only 2000 miles on it but I am optimistic).
Old 02-11-05, 04:49 PM
GX470forme
Driver School Candidate

Hate to burst your bubble, but it will show up. Mine started at 3500 miles. Lexus is now telling service writers to add a line on service orders about this issue. Saying that it is a normal occurance for a 4X4 with rear height control.

In other words, Lexus has given up on finding a fix, so they are now reverting to the "it is a normal characteristic for the vehicle" and screw the consumer who paid for a 50K luxury vehicle, that isn't so luxury after all.

As I understand it, this issue will be present in all years until the redesign when it goes to a hybid and looses its driveline all together (at least that is what I have been told my service guy)

Good Luck
Old 02-11-05, 09:41 PM
DSW
Driver School Candidate

GX470forme: You have an 05? What month was your build and how often do you experience the clunk?

Last edited by DSW; 02-11-05 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-12-05, 08:05 AM
GX470forme
Driver School Candidate

I have an 04' , but that doesn't matter. There have been no changes to Mfg. or materials since the first and only redesign in late 03/early 04.

I have had my driveline removed and lubed once, lubed twice, and completely replaced twice. Guess what it still has this problem. After the driveline replacements it went away for a little bit, but always comes back.

So year of vehicle doesn't matter, they all do it to some extent.

Don't get me wrong, I hope yours doesn't, but I am betting that in the near future it will start.
Old 02-12-05, 10:20 PM
DSW
Driver School Candidate

X470forme: Thanks for your reply. What month build is yours and how often does it occur with your 04?
Old 02-13-05, 02:52 AM
GX470forme
Driver School Candidate

Not sure of the build, but like I say above driveline issue has ben in for service a total of 5 times and I am now at 15.5K miles.

The biggest break for not having the clunkings was after the new driveshafts were put in, however as soon as the newness/tightness of the new shaft wears off, it comes right back.

Only thing I can say is that Lexus screwed the pooch on this one. Big time.

The sad part is that this is nothing new and has been well documented on the LX and the Toyota 4-runners. Lexus just doesn't seem to care about this issue and think it is a big deal.

Well, for a 50K luxury vehicle where you are paying a premium for the luxury and the name plate, it is a big deal.

Lexus customer service at the dealership level is great, but my confidence in the execution of new products from corporate is damaged and I don't know if I wil be able to get pass that to ever buy another vehicle from them.
Old 02-20-05, 09:30 PM
Donger
Driver

I've had my 2005 for about 3 weeks now - about 450 miles. I don't know I have have "THE" clunk everyone is talking about, but I notice if I run on the freeway for a while and then stop at the exit, the transmission seems to do some clunk as it drops down into first gear. You can feel a slight bump and a small lurch from the truck.

I am hoping it is not the "THE" clunk and just a tight transmission that will loosen up after a while. I really wouldn't have noticed anything if I had not read these posts, so it is very slight.

D
Old 02-21-05, 06:56 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Donger
I've had my 2005 for about 3 weeks now - about 450 miles. I don't know I have have "THE" clunk everyone is talking about, but I notice if I run on the freeway for a while and then stop at the exit, the transmission seems to do some clunk as it drops down into first gear. You can feel a slight bump and a small lurch from the truck.

I am hoping it is not the "THE" clunk and just a tight transmission that will loosen up after a while. I really wouldn't have noticed anything if I had not read these posts, so it is very slight.

D
That's what my truck does after the drive shaft replacement and I can't duplicate whenever I want to. Before the replacement, it was like someone hit me from behind.
Old 02-21-05, 05:29 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you sure its the clunk or is it after you stop and let off the break the vehicle jerks foward abit..?
Old 02-21-05, 07:59 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

My 95 LC had the clunk every once in awhile for over 130K miles. Never hurt the performance of the LC and it really never got any worse. Just lube it every OCI and enjoy the ride. If it really bothers you get a RX .
Old 02-21-05, 08:01 PM
Donger
Driver

Originally Posted by Kash
are you sure its the clunk or is it after you stop and let off the break the vehicle jerks foward abit..?
Brake is on, the vehicle doesn't actually move. You can just feel it trying to lurch forward. It is very brief. I noticed the RPM's fluctuate a bit with this vehicle. Seems the engine will rev a bit and settle down. Even warm, I notice it will sit at 600-800 RPM then go up to 1200-1500 and drop right back down. Don't have any idea what it is doing, but could be the reason for the lurching feel.

I am not sure what the electronics in this engine are programmed to do. I had a GS400 and it always would idle steady. Might be the design of the engine, the load of the A/C compressor or a bug in the engine management software. Who knows. Since it is new, I'll let it break-in. If it keeps it up, I'll have it checked.
Old 02-22-05, 07:46 AM
MarcP
Driver

I noticed the RPM's fluctuate a bit with this vehicle. Seems the engine will rev a bit and settle down. Even warm, I notice it will sit at 600-800 RPM then go up to 1200-1500 and drop right back down. Don't have any idea what it is doing, but could be the reason for the lurching feel.

I am not sure what the electronics in this engine are programmed to do. I had a GS400 and it always would idle steady. Might be the design of the engine, the load of the A/C compressor or a bug in the engine management software. Who knows. Since it is new, I'll let it break-in. If it keeps it up, I'll have it checked.
Somewhat off-topic but I noticed the exact same fluctuations with my 05 engine - seems like when it starts it idles high (1500rpm) then hunts its way down to a standard idle - but it sure wasn't as rock solid as I would have expected - glad to hear I'm not the only one...
Old 02-22-05, 01:12 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Brake is on, the vehicle doesn't actually move. You can just feel it trying to lurch forward. It is very brief. I noticed the RPM's fluctuate a bit with this vehicle. Seems the engine will rev a bit and settle down. Even warm, I notice it will sit at 600-800 RPM then go up to 1200-1500 and drop right back down. Don't have any idea what it is doing, but could be the reason for the lurching feel.

Hmmm, that's a new one. I've never heard of a warm engine surging to that extent even with the air conditioner running.

Quick Reply: 2005 GX470's: Are you experiencing the Clunk?