GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

I am such an idiot

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-05, 10:57 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down I am such an idiot

So, I had to get some warranty work performed on my dealer-installed DVD system (yes, mistake #1), and figured I would have the 15K serivce done at the same time. Now up till this point I had the dealer do the oil change, lubes, and other miscellaneous stuff per the Maintenance Manual every 5K, and always insisted that is all that they do. So, I figure I'll just let the dealer do their normal 15K with out calling into question what work they are going to do.

Wife picks up the car and hands me the invoice-$450! Upon reading it, Marin Lexus changed the differential fluid, transmission fluid, and coolant. All of which is not indicated as being needed in the Manual and per my phone call to Lexus.

After a week of calling I finally get someone at Marin to answer my call. Their response to my inquiry as to why this unnecessary service was performed-"Yeah, this dealership does that every 15K, and we know there is no justification to do so." I'm pissed, as much at my own stupidity as their unforthright behavior.

Needless to say the Service Manager is suppossed to call me back.
Old 02-10-05, 11:28 AM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bgsntth
"Yeah, this dealership does that every 15K, and we know there is no justification to do so."
That right there is the justification to get them to reduce your bill. Best of luck.
Old 02-10-05, 01:19 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wife picks up the car and hands me the invoice-$450! Upon reading it, Marin Lexus changed the differential fluid, transmission fluid, and coolant. All of which is not indicated as being needed in the Manual and per my phone call to Lexus

Normally, the customer signs the work order, which the service advisor prints out, after conversing with him/her. If these fluid changes aren't on that piece of paper, in addition to the warranty work, you have a good case. It would mean the dealership has performed unauthorized work on your truck. I would talk to the service manager and if you don't get any satisfaction at the end of that conversation, tell him you will call Michael Finney at KGO, Channel 7 News. He's the consumer advocate there.
Old 02-10-05, 03:52 PM
bgsntth
Rookie

Thanks for the replies.

This was actually on the Service Order, though vague-they use one block print out for all of their services, and the customer has to decipher what applies to their particular service. Nice.

The idiot part of the equation is me not checking the manual beforehand to ensure that Marin Lexus is not performing Major service items not indicated as recommended or required. Blind faith can be a *****. I'm use to dealerships padding the required services a wee bit, but never performing major work that is completely unnecessary. I will be much more scrupulous with Lexus in the future.

I am going to have a vigorous discussion with the service manager, and pending that decide about further actions. I'm not expecting any money back, just calling them on their nonforthright behavior.
Old 02-10-05, 04:03 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Yes, it really has gotten to the point where Service is the major profit center in most of the dealerships, so a lot of pressue to "sell up".

You learned your lesson and know what you have to do.

Even when it is a major service checkup I still ask them to go thru and spell out the services and their individual prices. Guess what, after many cars at many dealers, there never is a "discount" for the bundle of things they want to do. So I just pick the ones, I believe need to be done and decline the rest.

And yes, I've had to have the arguments with the service writer (not at my Lexus, though) about how "if you drive in Austin then it falls under heavy/severe usage because of the dust in the air and the stop and go traffic". Actual quote!

Finally, I will say (knock on wood) I love my Lexus Dealer and my Service Writer. Never had an argument with them on anything. They always go out of their way to please the customer. I'm so spoiled I don't think I would take a GM or Ford new car if they gave it to me, because of having to deal with the Service side.
Old 02-11-05, 02:36 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

450 sweet deal, my Lexus dealer charges 1300 for the 15k

make sure they know your pissed but that 450 should have meant every fluid in the vehicle was changed, except brake and power steering, still they charged 200 more then my local Toyota dealer who does all the same stuff to my 4Runner as the GX, did they do a fuel injector cleaning thats another 150

Scream, be pissed and you should get compensated
Old 02-11-05, 12:22 PM
SacKen
Driver

Originally Posted by EDGE2
450 sweet deal, my Lexus dealer charges 1300 for the 15k

make sure they know your pissed but that 450 should have meant every fluid in the vehicle was changed, except brake and power steering, still they charged 200 more then my local Toyota dealer who does all the same stuff to my 4Runner as the GX, did they do a fuel injector cleaning thats another 150

Scream, be pissed and you should get compensated
$450? $1300? I was pissed at the $375 I just paid for my 15k! Considering all they did was rotate my tires, change the oil, and change the differential fluid (was that even required??? I keep forgetting to check.) $375 is still a ripoff. It it wasn't for the CBEST options I wanted them to change (at an additional cost of $25 ) I probably would have found another solution. I'm not sure what to do. Maybe I'll try the Toyota dealer for my 20k. Up the freeway from Sacramento a bit, I think I saw an auto shop that specialized in Toyota. I may give them a call and see.
Old 02-11-05, 12:26 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

I had a smilar experinece where they charged us several hundered dollars for some repairs andy they werent doen. As soon as I got in the car I was able to tell. So now I never let my wife pick up the car from the dealership when it is being serviced. I handle everything including the pickup.

Heck there was one instance where they wanted to charge likd 450.00 for a headlight bulb, if I had sent my wife to just get the headlight replaced she would of blindly paid it. Luckily I was there and gave them some pushback. I walked out of the place with there bulb for 100.00

LESSON LEARNED!!
Old 02-11-05, 01:10 PM
bgsntth
Rookie

Are these practices normal for premium Luxury cars? The only other premium car I have owned was a ML350, and, or course all the servicing was covered by the 4 year free Maintenance provision. With Jeep, Subaru, and Mazda dealers their standard service has only been a tad more expensive than it would cost at an Independent mechanic. Usually worth that little bit extra for the brand-specific knowledge and attention.

Lexus is one of the only Premium car brands that does not include Maintenance, which the dealers are evidently exploiting to the hilt-and the bank. Rat bastards. BTW, the Marin Service Manager has not called me back as yet.
Old 02-11-05, 01:23 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

forget the service manager call the GM or better yet, When the dealership does work on my car I always get a call from there customer satisfaction people shortly thereafter. My guess is that your dealership has a similar dept. Call them directly if you dont want to call the GM just yet.

Even better stop by there on the way home one afternoon. Its a lot harder to tell a customer to buzz off if he is standing right in front of you.
Old 02-11-05, 03:25 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SacKen
$450? $1300? I was pissed at the $375 I just paid for my 15k! Considering all they did was rotate my tires, change the oil, and change the differential fluid (was that even required??? I keep forgetting to check.) $375 is still a ripoff. It it wasn't for the CBEST options I wanted them to change (at an additional cost of $25 ) I probably would have found another solution. I'm not sure what to do. Maybe I'll try the Toyota dealer for my 20k. Up the freeway from Sacramento a bit, I think I saw an auto shop that specialized in Toyota. I may give them a call and see.
Lexus needs to redo the price sheet cause I've compared Toyota to Lexus and they have the same jobs and some cost as much as twice the price, Toyota also has a higher hourly labor rate compared to Lexus, here Toyota is 100 or 110 an hour and Lexus is 90, but each dealership is ran like a Deli, they choose their own services and prices.

My old man wants an LS but he may get a 745 or an A8 for the same price cause of the included maintenance, MB has dropped the free maintenance and I worked in BMW prior to the free maintenance and brake jobs where a 1000 bucks, depending on cars a 500-1000 a wheel and nothing on the cars every totalled less then 700 dollars and MB is identical in price and maintenance so their gonna loose customers, 20k on a car is an easy 2500-5000 dollars for service, Lexus does the same thing, they need to ease up.

60k, 90k services. what they charge is down payment for a new Lexus
Old 02-12-05, 12:01 PM
rjfiore1
Driver

Just like to throw in my bit. I just recently had the 5k service done (which is complimentary). This includes oil and filter change and rotation of the tires. Plus I had the TSB correction to subdue the droning noise at 65-70mph.
Since I am always under the impression that NOBODY ever gives 100% anymore, I marked the tires before it went in! Well, I got the car back the next day; the service department going over what they did, all is great, right? I go out to the car, and I notice my marks that I made on rear tires the day prior- they were still on the rear!! Hmmm. I went back in there and told the service manager that I didn't believe that the tires were rotated. He assured me that they were. So I asked to speak w/ the head technician. He came out, took a look, and said I think that we "overlooked" the rotation. They took it right back in and apologized. You know, If I paid for that, and of course I will be next time, It would have been a total waste of money. Those tires are expensive!!!! I truly do think the tires should be rotated every 5K!! We just can't6 trust anybody!! Do I have to mark the oil filter now, too!!!!!
Old 02-12-05, 01:09 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

rjfiore1

Don't worry to much about rotating the tires, the GX with the AWD and traction Control keep the tires wearing pretty even, I usually rotate every 2000 or I can't sleep but the last time I rotated was 7000 or 8000 miles, the AWD keeps the tire wear even across the board.

I've come across GX owners who have 15 and 20k and never rotated and the tires look fine
Old 02-16-05, 10:27 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

Default Not that it matters....

Just an update. I spoke with the Service Manager. He states that in the "Tech Manual" severe driving is defined as the usual short trips/idleing mumbo jumbo, so basically we all qualify for this service. When I called baloney on this, as it is not in the Owner's Manual, he also stated that they "don't know if I'll be towing", which is the definition in the Owner's justifying changing the differential fluid. My observation that I have a tough time basing performing a service on the fact that I might be towing difficult for me to except ,as I do not even have a tow hook installed, did not have the impact I was hoping for. In regards to the transmission fluid being changed, his reply was that, "as long as their changing the differential fluid......."

So lesson learned. I'm actually not out any money, as I won't have either of these services performed again until I turn the truck in at the end of the lease.

And just to be fair, I did misread the invoice, and they actually did not change my coolant. So that was my bad.

Be Well.
Old 02-16-05, 10:54 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

What year is it an 03 or 04, 04 have lifetime fluid so Im guessing you got an 03, now as far as leasing the truck, if it's a 3 year 36k just go with oil changes every 5k and leave everything else untouched, it's not abuse most guys I know don't change any fluids until 30-45k and they own them.

Still not wasted money but thats 1 reason I hate dealers, they are so fast to overcharge the customer for work they don't need, keep in mind most dealers have quotas for the service writers to get a $100,000 a month in non warranty items

Quick Reply: I am such an idiot