GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Sports 2005, Black Maple replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-05, 02:11 AM
metropol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sports 2005, Black Maple replacement

Anyone know how much does it cost to replace Black Maple tha comes standard with the SP car for a Golden Maple?
Asked couple of dealers and could not get a straight answer.
Old 02-03-05, 05:14 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Black Maple / Goden Maple

Originally Posted by metropol

Anyone know how much does it cost to replace Black Maple that comes standard with the SP car for a Golden Maple?

I would think that you may be able to find someone to trade with. Then it would be just the labor involved.

~ Cap
Old 02-03-05, 06:45 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know how much does it cost to replace Black Maple tha comes standard with the SP car for a Golden Maple?
I'm curious. Do you not like the black maple treatment? I've only seen pictures of it, but from what I've seen the black maple strikes me as more of a novelty, something that I would grow tired of, and wouldn't be my first choice.
Old 02-03-05, 09:48 AM
darylhuff
Rookie

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
I'm curious. Do you not like the black maple treatment? I've only seen pictures of it, but from what I've seen the black maple strikes me as more of a novelty, something that I would grow tired of, and wouldn't be my first choice.
I have a 05 sport model with the black maple and prefer it over the ligher maple. I have the gray interior as well I wouldn't want the yellowish/orangeish standard wood treatment. A walnut might not be bad like Mercedes and BMW use, but I've never like the standard Lexus maple color and was ecctatic when I found out about the sport model in late 04.
Old 02-03-05, 10:30 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by darylhuff
I have a 05 sport model with the black maple and prefer it over the ligher maple. I have the gray interior as well I wouldn't want the yellowish/orangeish standard wood treatment. A walnut might not be bad like Mercedes and BMW use, but I've never like the standard Lexus maple color and was ecctatic when I found out about the sport model in late 04.
The black maple seems good looking, but I guess my leanings have always been toward lighter-coloured interior treatments. I have an `04 GX(ivory) and an `04 SC(ecru) and both have the lighter wood treatment. Now, what might look really good with the black walnut is the "Pebble Beach" edition SC's red leather interior. I'm not sure if that car comes with the black wood treatment.
Old 02-03-05, 12:14 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

This may be a dumb question, but what's in the Sport Pkg? And where is it available? I did a "Build Your Lexus" on the website and didn't see anything...

Thanks!
Old 02-03-05, 09:41 PM
darylhuff
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexuslover
This may be a dumb question, but what's in the Sport Pkg? And where is it available? I did a "Build Your Lexus" on the website and didn't see anything...
Check out http://www.lexus.com/models/gx/price_options.html The Sports option package is at the top of the list. It is an $1800 package of features that IMO was worth every penny.
Old 02-03-05, 10:00 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sports Package / KDSS

Originally Posted by darylhuff

It is an $1800 package of features that IMO was worth every penny.
The KDSS as an option costs $1750. The Sports Package which comes with KDSS costs $1800. Go figure.....

~ Cap
Old 02-04-05, 08:41 AM
metropol
Driver School Candidate

Default KDSS is only on SP in now..

Lexus is only offering black maple in SP, that only offers KDSS -- its not an option anymore, or yet
Since, I didn't like the black maple and metal dash -- I think it greatly detracts from the beauty of the interior -- (at least the wife says so ) -- I thought about getting SP and then replacing the wood. Apparently, it would also involve replacing the wheel and that plus the labor was qouted to be over $6K!? -- Not worth the effort. So, maybe i'll wait till Lexus opens up the gates of the production line and supply will rule rather than the current demand. Then, I am sure, they will be more amiable towards custom building the car.
Old 02-04-05, 06:30 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Black Walnut in '05 Sport

There were some '04's built with KDSS and all of them came with the Golden Birdseye Maple. I think the new "05 with the beige leather has the most Teutonic look of any of the interiors. It is masculine and dark. Maybe that is why your wife doesn't like it. The suspension is worth putting up with the flak when cornering as it reduces body roll by 50%. It also maintains better contact in severe off road dips and lips. I am very curious... Does anybody out there take their GX470 off road? The downhill assist control is like magic.
Old 02-04-05, 07:07 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Lexus is only offering black maple in SP, that only offers KDSS -- its not an option anymore, or yet
Since, I didn't like the black maple and metal dash -- I think it greatly detracts from the beauty of the interior -- (at least the wife says so ) -- I thought about getting SP and then replacing the wood. Apparently, it would also involve replacing the wheel and that plus the labor was qouted to be over $6K!? -- Not worth the effort. So, maybe i'll wait till Lexus opens up the gates of the production line and supply will rule rather than the current demand. Then, I am sure, they will be more amiable towards custom building the car.
Where did you hear that? The Lexus website still shows KDSS as an individual option.
Old 02-05-05, 11:28 PM
metropol
Driver School Candidate

Lexus's site and others that let you 'build' car with options, don't always show it, but its true , KDSS now only comes with SP version car.
Old 02-06-05, 08:51 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Kdss

Only in Sport Package for '05 and not that many are produced. If you get a chance to see one check out the size of the sway bars. This is unique to Lexus and I recommend it highly. It improves on road as well as off road. It makes me want to run Barcelona-Dakar!
Old 02-06-05, 10:02 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Lexus's site and others that let you 'build' car with options, don't always show it, but its true , KDSS now only comes with SP version car.
I tend to believe that KDSS is still an official stand alone "option" but the factory just isn't building any trucks that way. It's really no different than in 2004, when you had to take the third row seat/rear AC and RSES to get KDSS.
Old 02-07-05, 11:17 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Metropol, if my GX wasn't a lease, I would gladly trade my maple for the black maple.
I guess you have to ask any GX owner who would be willing to exchange their golden maple for yours. I'm sure someone would be willing to

All of the pieces are snap-off/snap-on. The steering wheel might take a bit longer, but all doable-just direct swap.

Anybody out there willing to do this for metropol???