GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Tire Pressure Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-05, 05:26 AM
jdh62
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Tire Pressure Warning Light

I had to change the tire on wife's GX due to a leak in the front tire -- it was nice the low tire pressure light came on to indicate the leaking tire. As it was in the evening, I put on the spare so I could buy a new tire the next day. However, after changing the tire, the low tire pressure light stayed on. I went to gas station and pumped air in all the tires to try to make the light go away. Unfortunately, that didn't help. I searched the forum here and found out about the switch on the steering column. But that did not clear the warning light either. Then I read someone posting they had to put air in the spare as well. I'm wondering if the light is on because there is no spare tire mounted?
Old 01-27-05, 07:06 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jdh62
I had to change the tire on wife's GX due to a leak in the front tire -- it was nice the low tire pressure light came on to indicate the leaking tire. As it was in the evening, I put on the spare so I could buy a new tire the next day. However, after changing the tire, the low tire pressure light stayed on. I went to gas station and pumped air in all the tires to try to make the light go away. Unfortunately, that didn't help. I searched the forum here and found out about the switch on the steering column. But that did not clear the warning light either. Then I read someone posting they had to put air in the spare as well. I'm wondering if the light is on because there is no spare tire mounted?
Yes, the system monitors the 5 tires with the sensors that are linked to it. The 4 tires that are on the truck are fine, but the 5th one (the one you took off) is still low. That's why the light is on.

So, you're fine. Once you fix the tire, the light will go away. And by the way, make sure you put the switch by the steering column back to its original position.
Old 01-27-05, 07:21 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Warning Light

Originally Posted by jdh62

The other evening on my way to do an errand I saw that the Tire Warning Light was on. But since I didn't notice anything unusual in the steering, I continued to my destination. When I got there I checked the tires. They all looked OK. On my way home, I stopped at a Gas Station to check the tire pressures. The first three were OK, but the fourth was low. I increased the pressure to 32 lbs. I then noticed that the Warning Light went out.

The next day I checked the tire and it looked OK, but decided to have it looked at, at a tire shop, as I was due for my free 5000 miles rotation anyway. The tire had a nail, which apparently caused a slow leak. Needless to say, I was very happy that the Tire Warning Light did it's job.

~ Cap

Last edited by Capirato; 01-27-05 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-27-05, 08:08 AM
jdh62
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
Yes, the system monitors the 5 tires with the sensors that are linked to it. The 4 tires that are on the truck are fine, but the 5th one (the one you took off) is still low. That's why the light is on.

So, you're fine. Once you fix the tire, the light will go away. And by the way, make sure you put the switch by the steering column back to its original position.
Thank you for the info and reassurance!