GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

ALL: Latch System Question 2004/2005 GX

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-05, 09:02 PM
jeremysm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALL: Latch System Question 2004/2005 GX

I have a 2004 GX470 and absolutely love it. I have about 1800 miles on it and primarily bought it for the safety features: all the airbags and the child safety (LATCH) system for my children (15 months old and another to arrive in less than a month).

When the second baby arrives, we will have to use the LATCH system with 2 kids in the back. However, the system allows for a perfect LATCH installation of a car seat behind the passenger seat only! By law, there needs to be 2 seat locations configured for the LATCH, but my 2004 GX470's second configuration is placed in an unusable position: its halfway between the middle and rear-driver's-side seat.

In short, this second LATCH position is unusable because of the difference in height between the middle "seat" and the side seat. Here are my questions:

1. Is this the same case in the 2005? The LATCHes are in the crease/base of the rear seats and are about 2 inch bars that you hook the child seat into.
2. Has anybody experienced the same problem as I am now experiencing? Any solutions, suggestions.

This is really an important item to me, and I hope there is a logical solution to this dilemma. Thanks to everyone who chimes in!!!
-Jeremy
Old 01-24-05, 12:56 AM
crubrexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeremy,

I checked my 05 GX. The LATCH configuration is the same as in yours: a pair of anchors centered on the "40" split seat, and another pair centered on the seam on the "60" side.

The options that I can think of are:
1) level the 60 side seat with a towel. Fold the towel over the part that is on the seat depression. I'm not sure how this affects safety, but I have seen seat positioning videos that advocate rolled towels under seats to level them. You can also add a seat protector on top, which also prevents depressions from the seats. I use this one, which is fairly rigid:
http://www.target.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8

2) Use a seat-belt to anchor a convertible seat for the older child on the 60 side, instead of the LATCH system, and therefore center it in the right spot. This seems to make sense, because then you can use the tether anchor in the back of the seat for additional safety.

Hope you find a solution that works well for you.

Pat
Old 01-24-05, 02:25 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Since I wanted the car seat to be behind the driver, I gave up on the latch system and simply used the seat belts. Pull them all the way out before you start to get them to lock in place. Yeah, I was baffled by the stupid positioning of the latch system too. Very dumb for a Lexus vehicle. You might still be able to use the rear anchors for the top tether though... I didn't bother. After two Kids, you stop worrying so much.
Old 01-25-05, 09:46 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

Originally Posted by jeremysm
I have a 2004 GX470 and absolutely love it. I have about 1800 miles on it and primarily bought it for the safety features: all the airbags and the child safety (LATCH) system for my children (15 months old and another to arrive in less than a month).

When the second baby arrives, we will have to use the LATCH system with 2 kids in the back. However, the system allows for a perfect LATCH installation of a car seat behind the passenger seat only! By law, there needs to be 2 seat locations configured for the LATCH, but my 2004 GX470's second configuration is placed in an unusable position: its halfway between the middle and rear-driver's-side seat.

In short, this second LATCH position is unusable because of the difference in height between the middle "seat" and the side seat. Here are my questions:

1. Is this the same case in the 2005? The LATCHes are in the crease/base of the rear seats and are about 2 inch bars that you hook the child seat into.
2. Has anybody experienced the same problem as I am now experiencing? Any solutions, suggestions.

This is really an important item to me, and I hope there is a logical solution to this dilemma. Thanks to everyone who chimes in!!!
-Jeremy
One suggestion I would make (regardless of the latch system) is to have your carseats installed by your local fire department or police department. Many of them hold certain days where they do it. Otherwise, I would call and make an appointment to have them install them for you. For the most part, child seats are very difficult to install properly. They actually get training on installing child seats so that you can feel more comfortable that your child is properly secured.
Old 01-25-05, 12:39 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by allisonb1013
One suggestion I would make (regardless of the latch system) is to have your carseats installed by your local fire department or police department. Many of them hold certain days where they do it. Otherwise, I would call and make an appointment to have them install them for you. For the most part, child seats are very difficult to install properly. They actually get training on installing child seats so that you can feel more comfortable that your child is properly secured.
This isn't directed at you Allison, but just a general statement.... still... I have heard this very thing said over and over again and to me it just boggles the mind. Car seats are NOT DIFFICULT TO INSTALL PROPERLY! It takes about 30 seconds and it installs perfectly if you follow the directions... I find it amazing that people can't read a simple manual. Don't our firemen have enough to do?
Old 01-26-05, 06:14 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Latch

I have an 03 and have not experienced an issue with the LATCH points...remember when you tighten that SOB up, the seat cushion needs to get crushed down quite a bit...another little trick is to recline the back seat a little when first installing the forward facing seat, and then straighten it up after the seat is as tight as you could get it - the seat should tighten it further - -I have no need for the rear tethers when using this method - the car seats feel like they are part of the car - no movement whatsoever.

As for the new arrival - I have yet to see a rear facing seat/infant carrier that works great - some are better than others, but I'v enever had a real warm and fuzzy on them...it would make more sense for manufac to install a tether point into the floor of the rear passenger area for this purpose - especially with seats that have sporty inward tilt to their cushions.

Bareyb - often times police and firemen - at least around here will hold a seminar or family day specifically for these types of things...believe me my best friend is a fireman in NYC and they would rather spend some time teaching someone how to properly install a child safety seat, than have to look for that child along the road because he/she got ejected from the vehicle in a wreck - remember these guys do this because they want to help make a difference and they have families that they go home to also - so they know what it means to save/protect a life and I'm sure they are happy to do it.
Old 01-26-05, 08:54 AM
Quant
Driver School Candidate

bareyb,

I agree that it is fairly easy to properly install a car seat - if you use a little brain and do a cursory read of the manual, at least.

However, most people I know have their car seats too loose, have folds and kinks in the belts, and incorrect angles on the seats. This is because majority of the people are too lazy and will not give the required attention to detail in installing car seats - most think the "unthinkable" can never happen.
Old 01-26-05, 03:37 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Quant
bareyb,

I agree that it is fairly easy to properly install a car seat - if you use a little brain and do a cursory read of the manual, at least.

However, most people I know have their car seats too loose, have folds and kinks in the belts, and incorrect angles on the seats. This is because majority of the people are too lazy and will not give the required attention to detail in installing car seats - most think the "unthinkable" can never happen.
I suppose that's probably true. I just don't get it though. I mean these are people's kids we're talking about. I guess it's a good thing we have our Firefighters to baby sit them.