GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What are your radio settings??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-05, 10:00 AM
98Nav400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are your radio settings??

I have had my GX for about 2 months now and am still a little unsure about my radio settings. For those of you who have more experience and a better ear than me--where do you have your treb/mid/bass/balance/fader?

I am looking for the "best" settings listening to a variety of music. I know some of you change the settings from radio to cd, etc.. I won't do that; I am just looking for the best all around setting so I can quit fiddling with it.
Old 01-20-05, 10:30 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It really depends on what kind of sound you like. I listen to Jazz, Classical, and 80's, 90's, and current top 40 music. I like trebble and bass at 4, mid at 3. Sometimes I will drop the bass to 3 if it gets too much. The fader\bal is always in the middle. Keep in mind these are all personal preferences and everyone likes different settings as well as different settings may go better with different music choices and volume levels. Hope that helps!
Old 01-20-05, 02:23 PM
loflin
Pole Position

As Fabio said, it is very much personal preference.

However, IF you want to reproduce the sound as close to original as the Acostic Engineer could achieve in the given environment (in car) with the given equipment (in this case very good - ML) then you would NOT bias the equalizer at all. Leave them at the default settings, for music.

If you listen to AM or scratchy 78's burned to CD or something, like that, then you would want to cut some of the treble.
Old 01-20-05, 05:52 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Well, I have my settings:

treble: all the way up
mid: middle
bass: 1 notch below the middle setting

and I fade 2 notch level below the middle settings...I want to hear some of the rear speakers, kinda give it a slight surround to it.

Works great for me
Old 01-21-05, 06:50 PM
luckylex
Rookie

I'm not crazy about the output (or lack thereof). I have treble: all the way up: bass: all the way up or one below all the way; mid: one above middle.
Old 01-21-05, 07:58 PM
MarcP
Driver

Originally Posted by luckylex
I'm not crazy about the output (or lack thereof). I have treble: all the way up: bass: all the way up or one below all the way; mid: one above middle.
As much as I thought I would love the ML system - I have to agree... the clarity is wonderful but the pure "butt kicking" impact is lacking - I "almost" miss the MACH system in my Explorer!
Old 01-21-05, 08:38 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

let's see

bass-5
treble-4
fad-middle
bal-middle
type of music: HIp-Hop and R&B
Old 01-22-05, 06:24 AM
GX4Life
Driver School Candidate

Bass +2
Mid -2
Treb +4
Bal 0
Fad -3
Music: Everything except country.

*Feels like you can really pump it up without losing clarity with these settings.
Old 01-22-05, 10:25 AM
et415
Rookie

I'm not sure if we're talking about the standard stereo or the ML. I have the standard., which I think sounds surprisingly good.

To me, it makes no sense to boost the midrange in addition to the bass and treble. If you do that, you might as well increase the volume, which will boost all frequencies. I recommend you keep midrange at 0 and then fiddle only with the treble and bass.

My treble and bass (esp. bass) settings vary depending on the CD. Some CDs (like some hiphop) have TONS (maybe too much) bass, or maybe the bass is concentrated in a frequency range that is boomy in the GX. Also, it depends on how loud you like the music....sometimes you want more bass or treble boost at higher/lower volumes. Here are my usual settings:

Treble: Usually 0 or +1
Midrange: 0
Bass: Between +2 and +4
Fader/Balance: 0

One question: do people use the speed sensitive volume setting? I turned it off for a while, then turned it back on ... for some reason I can't quite pinpoint, I like it better on, even though usually I don't like artificial sound enhancers.
Old 01-22-05, 10:57 AM
luckylex
Rookie

Originally Posted by MarcP
As much as I thought I would love the ML system - I have to agree... the clarity is wonderful but the pure "butt kicking" impact is lacking - I "almost" miss the MACH system in my Explorer!
I definitely miss the "butt kicking" impact of the Infinity in my Montero Sport. But I'm getting used to the ML, and just turn in up! A "real" equalizer to set might have been nice.

Last edited by luckylex; 01-22-05 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-22-05, 11:14 AM
et415
Rookie

I definitely miss the "butt kicking" impact of the Infinity in my Montero Sport. But I'm getting used to the ML, and just turn in up! A "real" equalizer to set might have been nice.
If we're making wishes: I really wish the CD player could read MP3-loaded CD-ROMs (or even better DVD-ROMs), and that they had "aux" inputs so I could attach an external MP3 player or CD player.
Old 01-23-05, 10:53 AM
luckylex
Rookie

Originally Posted by et415
If we're making wishes: I really wish the CD player could read MP3-loaded CD-ROMs (or even better DVD-ROMs), and that they had "aux" inputs so I could attach an external MP3 player or CD player.
I am a little disappointed, with today's technology and use of computers, that the system isn't a little more functional. For instance, when playing CDs it would be nice if the NAV screen would show the CD and song titles. When I play a new CD, I hate having to go back to the case to look up a song title.
Old 01-23-05, 12:57 PM
MarcP
Driver

I am a little disappointed, with today's technology and use of computers, that the system isn't a little more functional. For instance, when playing CDs it would be nice if the NAV screen would show the CD and song titles. When I play a new CD, I hate having to go back to the case to look up a song title.
I agree 100%!!! One thing you can do is put the CD in the DVD player - then the artist/song text displays - kind of a ridiculous work-around but I found it by accident.
Old 01-23-05, 08:52 PM
soonerdude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by et415
I just discovered that the rear dvd entertaiment system on the 2005 GX has a set of video and audio inputs (RCA cables) located just below the rear ac control panel. You can plug in a device like a xbox, mp3 player, or any other AV devices that have RCA video or audio output . The video input should be displayed on the rear LCD display and maybe also on the front NAV LCD. I'll try connecting my MP3 player and a dvd/vcr player to see how it works and post a update. Does anybody have any experience with this?
Old 01-24-05, 07:25 PM
luckylex
Rookie

Originally Posted by MarcP
I agree 100%!!! One thing you can do is put the CD in the DVD player - then the artist/song text displays - kind of a ridiculous work-around but I found it by accident.
Good idea! Actually, just tonight I was also thinking about what a hassle it is to have to reach all the way over to pull out the CD cartridge if you wanted to put in just one CD (my last vehicle had both a 6 disc in-dash player as well as the original single-disc slot, so you could have 6 discs in and add 7th pretty easy). I guess it would be much easier while you are driving to put a disc in the DVD player, and have the screen effects too. Thanks!

Quick Reply: What are your radio settings??