GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What are your radio settings??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-05, 09:11 AM
darylhuff
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soonerdude
I just discovered that the rear dvd entertaiment system on the 2005 GX has a set of video and audio inputs (RCA cables) located just below the rear ac control panel. You can plug in a device like a xbox, mp3 player, or any other AV devices that have RCA video or audio output . The video input should be displayed on the rear LCD display and maybe also on the front NAV LCD. I'll try connecting my MP3 player and a dvd/vcr player to see how it works and post a update. Does anybody have any experience with this?
They work great for playing the iPod through the wireless headphones. However, there is no way to make the sound from the RCA inputs come out through the car's speakers.
Old 01-25-05, 08:32 PM
luckylex
Rookie

Originally Posted by MarcP
I agree 100%!!! One thing you can do is put the CD in the DVD player - then the artist/song text displays - kind of a ridiculous work-around but I found it by accident.
I tried this today. While it played music, there was no cd/song/artist info displayed. Also, the sound quality isn't as good as the CD changer.
Old 01-25-05, 10:40 PM
soonerdude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by darylhuff
They work great for playing the iPod through the wireless headphones. However, there is no way to make the sound from the RCA inputs come out through the car's speakers.
That is terrible. you are right, the rca input only plays through the wireless headphone not the car speakers. What a stupid design concept. I definitely like my Infinity sound system better on the 3000GT. It has an AUX input for sound. The sound is also richer and more surrounding. I am a lit bit disappointed on the ML system. No MP3s and no Satellite radio.
Old 01-26-05, 06:26 PM
luckylex
Rookie

What a stupid design concept. I definitely like my Infinity sound system better on the 3000GT. It has an AUX input for sound. The sound is also richer and more surrounding. I am a lit bit disappointed on the ML system. No MP3s and no Satellite radio.
Um, "stupid design"? It is a REAR SEAT entertainment system. But I agree with you on all the other points, and I've also mentioned that the infinity in my prior mitsu seemed better.
Old 01-27-05, 11:41 AM
darylhuff
Rookie

That is terrible. you are right, the rca input only plays through the wireless headphone not the car speakers. What a stupid design concept. I definitely like my Infinity sound system better on the 3000GT. It has an AUX input for sound. The sound is also richer and more surrounding. I am a lit bit disappointed on the ML system. No MP3s and no Satellite radio.
There is help on the way. It looks like Vais Tech is about ready to release their solution to integrate XM or iPods into the Lexus sound system. http://www.vaistech.com/aic100i.html I'm getting really tired of the tape hiss using a cassette adaptor to listen to my iPod in the car. You'd think that in 2005 a mini-plug AUX input would be standard in higher end cars. Normally the Germans are slower to take up technology in their cars, but both BMW and MBZ have this capability. Oh well, at least I can solve the problem myself -- in a few more weeks.
Old 01-27-05, 04:01 PM
soonerdude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by darylhuff
There is help on the way. It looks like Vais Tech is about ready to release their solution to integrate XM or iPods into the Lexus sound system. http://www.vaistech.com/aic100i.html I'm getting really tired of the tape hiss using a cassette adaptor to listen to my iPod in the car. You'd think that in 2005 a mini-plug AUX input would be standard in higher end cars. Normally the Germans are slower to take up technology in their cars, but both BMW and MBZ have this capability. Oh well, at least I can solve the problem myself -- in a few more weeks.
Last I recalled, Lexus is still made in Japan - the innovator of new technology! My "1994" Mitsubishi has the AUX input. Can't believe I am going to have to get another install just to get what should be standard in a fully loaded nearly $60K SUV. That just plain sucks...sorry, just had to vent... The radio stations in cowtown Oklahoma stink. Well, last night I just figured out how to rip Sirius radio to mp3s and CD's from my DISH receiver. Now I can at least listen to some descent music on the cd changer.

Last edited by soonerdude; 01-27-05 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-28-05, 07:35 AM
MarcP
Driver

Originally Posted by luckylex
I tried this today. While it played music, there was no cd/song/artist info displayed. Also, the sound quality isn't as good as the CD changer.
That's interesting - I wonder my mine worked (it was a CD I burned myself) - I didn't notice a sound quality difference but I'll have to pay more attention next time I listen to it.

Here's a new one for you (or anyone with ML) though... does your subwoofer (in the rear) put out a lot of bass? I've tried to test mine and it is obviously working but doesn't seem to put out nearly as much sound output as the woofers in the front doors at the same settings? Is this the same for everyone or should I have it looked at?