GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Prado Tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-05, 08:09 PM
TimsGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pictures

Hey Cap,
I actually got the clear combination taillights. I have included a picture of the bulb housing. They are great looking I can't wait until I actually get them on!! I am going to order the led lights for them once I know the type of base. Let me know what you guys think!!
Attached Thumbnails Prado Tail lights-taillight2.jpg  
Old 02-15-05, 08:11 PM
TimsGX
Driver School Candidate

Default Pictures

Here is another picture!
Attached Thumbnails Prado Tail lights-taillight3.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
BigHead805 (05-04-18)
Old 02-15-05, 08:12 PM
TimsGX
Driver School Candidate

Default Bulb Housing

Here is a picture of the bulb housing. The top two are the same size as the Lexus, just different patterns. The bottom one is much smaller than the Lexus.
Attached Thumbnails Prado Tail lights-taillight4.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
BigHead805 (05-04-18)
Old 02-15-05, 09:18 PM
strat1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default do the clears fit

timsgx,
i actually got the same taillights and am quite happy with them. i haven't had a chance to see if they fit onto the gx. i know that there are some bulb issues being sorted out but do you know for sure that the clear taillamps snap into place and bolt down like the OEM ones.
Old 02-15-05, 10:09 PM
TimsGX
Driver School Candidate

Default Installation

They snap into place just like the OEM ones. I did do a dry run with them! I am waiting for Japanparts.com to get back with me on the bulb bases that will actually fit these. In the event they are unable to assist me, I will just modify them to fit what we already have.
Old 02-17-05, 06:15 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Prado Lights

Tim.....

I received mine today. Picture of what it looks like is below.

There is now way to substitute different bulbs. The top socket is a Double Filament used for Tail Light and Stop Light. The middle socket is a Single Filament used for the Turn Signal. The bottom socket is a single filament used for the Back Up Light. The bottom socket takes a smaller physical size bulb.

I most likely will use the top socket for Tail and Stop Lights. The middle and bottom socket for Turn Signals. The Prado Light Assembly came with bulbs. A clear double filament for the Tail and Stop Lights. An Amber single filament for the Turn Signal and a clear smaller single filament for the Back Up Light (will be converted to Turn Signal). I will have to find an amber light bulb to replace the clear. Hopefully, I will find one that will match the amber bulb they sent. If not, I will try to find a matching pair.

~ Cap
Attached Images  

Last edited by Capirato; 02-17-05 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-17-05, 08:09 PM
TimsGX
Driver School Candidate

Default Hey Cap - Looks Good!!

Can you take a picture of your bulb housing to see if they would fit is this one? Trying to get Japanparts.com to get me some. Did the wiring harness(Lexus) plug directly into the Prado housing? Thanks a million!! Try this link to get some LED replacement bulbs for your lights - they will be brighter and look much better!! http://stores.ebay.com/Velocity-leds

Thanks,
Tim
Old 02-17-05, 08:42 PM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice!! Guys!!

It looks pretty good on the back of the GX.
Tim, if you want to get LED bulbs, you might need the RESISTOR for the trun signals also.
I tried it once without the resistor, it wouldn't blink.
Old 02-17-05, 09:54 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Light Bulbs

Originally Posted by strat1

hello cap, if i understand your last post right, did you say that your prado taillamps came with bulbs? i ordered the clear taillamps but did not receive any bulbs. Will the OEM GX connection be compatible with the prado light assembly? If so (and leaving all three supplied bulbs in place) will the third socket on the prado taillamp still function as an "extra" back up light on the gx?

thanks. strat
Strat.....

Yes, the Prado assembly came with all six bulbs as I outlined in my last post.

I also did a dry run and unplugged the OEM lights and plugged in the Prado lights and they all work as they are supposed too. So that part is Plug and Play, except the Back Up light (that's the bottom clear). I will have to do some creative wiring to make the back up light function, either as an extra Turn Signal or an extra Back Up light.

~ Cap
Old 02-18-05, 03:48 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Mission Accomplished

Mission Accomplished

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Prado Tail lights-pradolights4.gif  

Last edited by Capirato; 02-18-05 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-18-05, 04:47 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Capirato
Mission Accomplished

~ Cap
looks very hot congrats
Old 02-18-05, 06:50 PM
strat1
Driver School Candidate

Default looks great cap!

cap,
taillights look awesome! Do you know what the bulb numbers are that came with the prado taillamps? Does the back up light on the prado taillamps work (ie, do you get two set of back up lights that come on when you reverse?)
Old 02-19-05, 09:26 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Turn Signals

Originally Posted by strat1

Cap,
Taillights look awesome! Do you know what the bulb numbers are that came with the Prado taillamps? Does the back up light on the Prado taillamps work (ie, do you get two set of back up lights that come on when you reverse?)
Strat.....

The bulb number for the Back Up lamp is 921.. I bought a pair of 921NA which are amber for use as an extra Turn Signal..

It is possible to connect the Back Up lamp to the lamps on the rear door for two extra Back Up lamps, but I opted to use the bottom clear lens as an extra Turn Signal.

The other two lamps are the same as comes with the GX, except the clear single filament is amber.

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Prado Tail lights-pradocomplete.gif  

Last edited by Capirato; 02-20-05 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-21-05, 04:29 AM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Cap, that is my GX you posted a pic of. I used the two clear lenses for brake lights and the red top lense for signals. The wiring was a bit tricky but no problems sinc eth einstall.

MAC
Old 02-21-05, 07:35 AM
Capirato
Racer

Default Wiring

Originally Posted by 0260n5.7

Cap, that is my GX you posted a pic of. I used the two clear lenses for brake lights and the red top lense for signals. The wiring was a bit tricky but no problems since the install.

MAC
MAC.....

I was not able to accomplish what you did.

My Prado light assembly has a double filament socket for the red lens. The clear lenses have single filament sockets. The sockets are fixed and can not be moved.

Assuming that my Prado light assembly is like yours, if I made the top (red) lens the Turn Signal, I would select the filament that is the brightest for the Turn Signal.

If I made the two clear lens the Stop Lights, as you did, what would I use for Tail Lights ??

I would be interested to know how you accomplished what you did.

~ Cap

Last edited by Capirato; 02-21-05 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Prado Tail lights