GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Why continuing NO Xenon lights on the GX/LX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-05, 07:41 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why continuing NO Xenon lights on the GX/LX?

I had speculated on this for awhile, and I think I finally confirmed it tonight... What on earth is the reason (unless im very mistaken, but I dont see any options sheets with this available, nor have I ever seen one on the road) that Lexus does NOT put Xenon lights into the truck series in the GX and LX?? This may be of little significance to some, but its little things like this that make vehicles like the new LR3 all the more appealing. Once again, if Im wrong, which I hope I am, I stand corrected.
Old 01-16-05, 09:00 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
I had speculated on this for awhile, and I think I finally confirmed it tonight... What on earth is the reason (unless im very mistaken, but I dont see any options sheets with this available, nor have I ever seen one on the road) that Lexus does NOT put Xenon lights into the truck series in the GX and LX?? This may be of little significance to some, but its little things like this that make vehicles like the new LR3 all the more appealing. Once again, if Im wrong, which I hope I am, I stand corrected.
There's no pricing reason to do so. These sell JUST FINE without Xenons. Why add the cost (i.e. reduce the profit) if you don't HAVE too?
Old 01-16-05, 09:41 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bunka
There's no pricing reason to do so. These sell JUST FINE without Xenons. Why add the cost (i.e. reduce the profit) if you don't HAVE too?
Poor reasoning? The LS430, IS, ES and even the lowly RX also ALL sell fine without this relatively inexpensive option, yet the majority of them are sold with Xenon lights, with the exception of the LS which has them STANDARD. The RX takes this a step further by even having the awesome adaptive lighting option. Its all about giving me the consumer the choice despite what the MFR thinks is convenient...They really need to get with the program on this, 500-700.00 added to the price is practically pocket change for such a worthwhile option. All of its major competitors have it. Im actually possibly moving to the northeast, and the LX and GX are high on my list of potential vehicles to lease if I do so, but this takes the excellent LR3 and the very nice VW Touareg V8 up one notch on my scale. One thing is for sure, there are some excellent choices out there in this segment right now.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 01-16-05 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-16-05, 10:32 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy the GX for what a great SUV it is compared to all the others that are out there. Then take the $400 you would have spent on the Xenon's if they were an option and buy the Xenon Depot kit that at least 15 or more GX owners on this board have purchased. I'll bet there's not one of them that are unhappy with their kit.

And you know what.....the Xenon kit on the wife's GX lights the road better than my factory Xenon's on my RX.

Bottom line....don't let the lack of Xenon's scare you away from a truly great SUV. It almost did for me, but now I couldn't be a happier GX owner.

Just my two cents worth.
Old 01-17-05, 03:01 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by steevr
Buy the GX for what a great SUV it is compared to all the others that are out there. Then take the $400 you would have spent on the Xenon's if they were an option and buy the Xenon Depot kit that at least 15 or more GX owners on this board have purchased. I'll bet there's not one of them that are unhappy with their kit.

And you know what.....the Xenon kit on the wife's GX lights the road better than my factory Xenon's on my RX.

Bottom line....don't let the lack of Xenon's scare you away from a truly great SUV. It almost did for me, but now I couldn't be a happier GX owner.

Just my two cents worth.
I was pretty pissed too when the GX didn't have the xenon as an option.

I also plan on adding the xenon also.
And also vice versa where you are planning to buy the LR3 b/c it has the xenon while the GX doesn't....
Old 01-17-05, 03:08 PM
LexFather

Well if u drive cars, when u have an Escalade/Navigator/ etc behind you, usually tailgating, with HIDs its hard to see at night. Very hard. Its blinding.

From my understanding, Lexus did not give their large SUVs this feature b/c of this. Notice the RX 330 has HIDs (with optional swiveling) and the van Toyuota Sienna does too. But the Toyota Sequoia does not.

I am sure LExus will figure out a way to make them work on the next generation. HIDs are much better in the dark, bar-none.