GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX 470 or LR3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-05, 09:02 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Van_GS
Hello, I am a past GS400 owner hailing from a very Lexus-crazy family. We're trying to make a decision on an SUV - the GX or the LR3.

The LR3 really has my attention with its styling and technology. Touchez as well on the apparently superior third-row seating. What holds me back on the LR3 is Land Rover's notorious reliabilty and resale.

Therefore, the GX seems the winner. Lexus reliability rules (notwithstanding the glitches I've just read about here); I can live with the "old fashioned" third row design.

The only thing holding me back from the GX is...the swinging rear door.

Please tell me straight-up...how bad is it??

(and are the thumps and droans really that epedemic?)

Thanks
TS

They sell about 3 of those Rovers a month in Charlotte vs. about 30 of the GX's. Gives you an idea on resale (VERY limited market on the Rover and extreme depreciation). Wish the door on the GX was on the other side but other than that it's OK. Coming from a prior RX300 owner.
Old 01-17-05, 03:10 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts
Talking

I don't have any trouble with the swing door whatsoever, but if this GX wasn't a lease, I would play with the swing mechanisms to reverse it on the other side
Old 01-17-05, 04:33 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Van_GS

The only thing holding me back from the GX is...the swinging rear door.

Please tell me straight-up...how bad is it??

(and are the thumps and droans really that epedemic?)

Thanks
TS
As for the swinging door, I give it a . I have had no problems and I find it easier to close sometimes and my mom with her lesser stature LOVES IT. It allows for a little bit easier access climbing into the trunk also without having to watch your head on the door. This should be a reason to want the car, not one to stay away!

As for the thud noises: Very rarely (oncer per month or less) while at stop-lights, there is a little thunk from the tranny as it does something and the car moves a little bit. This sounds much worse than it is. We did, however, have to get out the first time and look at our back to make sure it wasn't someone who hit us. Overall, otherwise, it is an amazing car with superb ammenities rivaling that of the LS.

While I can't say much for the LR3, the LR is a stiffer car with a different concept from the GX. If you are looking for the BEST in luxury feel and uncrompromising offroad capability, then don't waste any mroe time, BUY A GX.
Old 01-17-05, 05:41 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

let's see, after experiencing :

1. Thump or clunk
2. vibration
3. rattling cladding in winter
4. creaky seats in winter
5. both rear brakes leaked
6. both running lights busted out once

I'd still get a GX compared to that LR3 which could have a longer list of defects. besides, the rear exterior of the LR3 is asymmetrical and i can't really like it!
Old 01-22-05, 09:09 AM
et415
Rookie

I agree with most of the comments above, so I won't repeat them.

But one thing you should consider is dealer service. When I take my car in for service, I love the fact that: 1) they sit me down in the service advisor's office so we can talk professionally and without distractions; 2) the waiting room is large, bright, and is as comfortable and attractive as a nice airline lounge, with free cappucino machine (my dealer even has a Starbucks onsite), bottled water, soda, cookies, PC terminals, and WIFI Internet access; 3) I can get a loaner car even for relatively short service (like 4 hours the last time); 4) my dealer has a mobile service unit that will come out to my house/office to do routine maintenance; and 5) the service bays are literally spotless and in full view from the waiting area.

As a previous Lexus owner, you have experience with dealer service...would the LR dealer treat you as well?