GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2005 GX470's - Are you experiencing any vibration issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-05, 06:10 PM
crusit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 GX470's - Are you experiencing any vibration issues?

Hi,

I've been reviewing the GX470 Forum for several months and have been considering purchasing a GX470, but have been concerned if the "steering vibration" and "clunking" problems have been resolved with the 2005's. I really became concerned when I did a test drive of an 2004 (I don't know the VIN number) and felt the "vibration" problem. I know that there has been a "fix" for the vibration issue, but was wondering if the newer 2004's and 2005's are having the problem or was it fixed with a design change in the manufacturing process or just applied a "fix" after production. Also, is the "clunking" problem an old one or is it still occurring? I would appreciate any additional insight.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-05, 07:50 PM
steevr
Pole Position

We've got one of the later '04 GX's built in 9/04 (Vin 64,XXX) and no vibration or clunk issues with 1,500 miles on the odometer.
Old 01-03-05, 08:05 PM
luckylex
Rookie

Since the first 2005's were only first delivered a few weeks ago, there may not be much of a sample to report on at this time.
Old 01-03-05, 11:03 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ive got a 04 with no problems

I have an 04 with no vibration or clunk problems. I dont think these problems are present for the majority of the trucks. Out of all the GX owners on this forum maybe 10 have the problems.
Old 01-04-05, 08:05 PM
crusit
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the information...... I look forward to other updates from 2004 and 2005 owners....
Old 01-05-05, 09:10 AM
ShakMan
Rookie

I also have a 04 (July purchase) and no vibration problem
Old 01-05-05, 01:41 PM
darylhuff
Rookie

I have a 2005 w/ Sports Package and don't have any vibration or clunking problems. I'm coming from a lemoned VW Touareg (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1430528) after waiting 6+ months for the 2005's. Perhaps VW lowered my expectations of a new car to the point that I'd be happy with anything, but other than the worthless AM radio and mediocre audio system, I've had no complaints with this new car.
Old 01-05-05, 02:21 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Daryl

Daryl you must have the first 05 sport package GX470 please post pics of your new ride. I want to see the interior and exterior changes if any.
Old 01-05-05, 03:37 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

i heard from my service people that it still occurs, even in the newest GX. BUT they say it doesn't come out in a lot of the vehicles, compared to 03 and some 04s..
Old 01-05-05, 09:20 PM
petert
Driver School Candidate

Default Clunking and Whum, Whum

Hi,

I purchased a GX470 In may of 2004 (2004). I was assured that all the issues were fixed. However, I dealt with the clunking issue for the six months of the vehicle. Lexus indicated that my SN was not in the problem area, but agreed to put in a new driveshaft. I got my truck back yesterday and the clunking seems gone (lets hope for good).

As for the vibration, I still get a "whum, whum" at speeds over 100K ... we are now working on this as well.

It is dissapointing that Lexus only put the new driveshaft in after I "lost my temper" after diagnosing the problem myself with the help of this forum. Clearly, they are reacting rather than being pro-active.

The dealer can only do so much without Lexus recognizing the issue and being pro-active.

I love the rest of the truck. However, the clunking and ongoing whum,whum have been a drag.

If you need to contact me, please email me at pturkstra@sympatico.ca
Peter
Old 01-06-05, 06:06 PM
MDJAK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by darylhuff
I have a 2005 w/ Sports Package and don't have any vibration or clunking problems. I'm coming from a lemoned VW Touareg (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1430528) after waiting 6+ months for the 2005's. Perhaps VW lowered my expectations of a new car to the point that I'd be happy with anything, but other than the worthless AM radio and mediocre audio system, I've had no complaints with this new car.

Hey, Daryl, is that you? Or is that your other brother daryl? Or your other brother Daryl? Remember me from the VW forum? I too am considering switching to the GX. My car is way past lemoning, though, as it is 17 months old with 45,000 miles on it. Lousy resale too.

Hope you're enjoying your lexus. Good to see you're still around.
Old 01-09-05, 12:52 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey there,
I have a late 2004 model with approx 5k miles. Not a single problem to report. No clunks, vibrations, or anything. It runs and performs far in excess of what I had even hoped for. This thing feels like a luxury sedan and yet it plows through the snow and deep stuff without hesitation. I have NEVER felt more safe and in control in the rain/snow with any vehicle I have EVER owned. It's a solid as a rock. All the nifty features and creature comforts are just a bonus. I am beyond satisfied and might even be leaning towards thrilled with it. I expect to be one of the many Lexus fans now and now I know why... It's been a great buying and owning experience.

Sorry to hear about your problems witht the Toureg. It was at the top of my list too. Too bad it's such a POS... You will never be THAT dissatisfied with a Lexus. If you are planning on buying one of these new GX trucks, I say go for it. I don't think there's a better looking or performing SUV anywhere. The longer I own it the more I like it.

Last edited by bareyb; 01-09-05 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-09-05, 01:20 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own an `04 GX470; purchased in October, now have about 3K miles. No problems whatsoever to date.
Old 01-12-05, 01:47 AM
wogey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by petert
Hi,

I purchased a GX470 In may of 2004 (2004). I was assured that all the issues were fixed. However, I dealt with the clunking issue for the six months of the vehicle. Lexus indicated that my SN was not in the problem area, but agreed to put in a new driveshaft. I got my truck back yesterday and the clunking seems gone (lets hope for good).

As for the vibration, I still get a "whum, whum" at speeds over 100K ... we are now working on this as well.

It is dissapointing that Lexus only put the new driveshaft in after I "lost my temper" after diagnosing the problem myself with the help of this forum. Clearly, they are reacting rather than being pro-active.

The dealer can only do so much without Lexus recognizing the issue and being pro-active.

I love the rest of the truck. However, the clunking and ongoing whum,whum have been a drag.

If you need to contact me, please email me at pturkstra@sympatico.ca
Peter
Peter,

I have been very interested with GX problems as I was about to buy one. At this point for me it is hard to spend 50K for a car that has such annoying operating problems.

But I found this on Edmunds forums and thought this is the fix your vibration problem. This car is the same as the US GX470.

http://www.lcool.org/technical/120_s...tion/90hz.html

Sorry to say, the "clunk" will always be a part of the GX470 including the 2005s, though it may not be as bad as the first patches of cars for the 2003 model year. There are no drive line design changes for 2005 to fix the problem. It is a terrible engineering blunder, but Lexus has not admitted to this. It is pretty tough for them to accept returns for thousands of GX470 customers. It is better and less costly to keep it low profile and try to please the few that really get upset about the problem. How many times have you all out there heard from your service rep that it is the "attribute of the GX470", right !!. LX470 doesn't have this problem by the way. This is the official Lexus line they are using to communicate with GX customers. Do you really think Lexus engineers designed a Lexus luxury SUV with clunks to remind you at every stop that it is a smooth operating Lexus?

Cheers.
Old 01-12-05, 01:52 AM
wogey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by crusit
Hi,

I've been reviewing the GX470 Forum for several months and have been considering purchasing a GX470, but have been concerned if the "steering vibration" and "clunking" problems have been resolved with the 2005's. I really became concerned when I did a test drive of an 2004 (I don't know the VIN number) and felt the "vibration" problem. I know that there has been a "fix" for the vibration issue, but was wondering if the newer 2004's and 2005's are having the problem or was it fixed with a design change in the manufacturing process or just applied a "fix" after production. Also, is the "clunking" problem an old one or is it still occurring? I would appreciate any additional insight.

Thanks!
The reply was meant for you too.

I have been very interested with GX problems as I was about to buy one. At this point for me it is hard to spend 50K for a car that has such annoying operating problems.

But I found this on Edmunds forums and thought this is the fix your vibration problem. This car is the same as the US GX470.

http://www.lcool.org/technical/120_...ation/90hz.html

Sorry to say, the "clunk" will always be a part of the GX470 including the 2005s, though it may not be as bad as the first patches of cars for the 2003 model year. There are no drive line design changes for 2005 to fix the problem. It is a terrible engineering blunder, but Lexus has not admitted to this. It is pretty tough for them to accept returns for thousands of GX470 customers. It is better and less costly to keep it low profile and try to please the few that really get upset about the problem. How many times have you all out there heard from your service rep that it is the "attribute of the GX470", right !!. LX470 doesn't have this problem by the way. This is the official Lexus line they are using to communicate with GX customers. Do you really think Lexus engineers designed a Lexus luxury SUV with clunks to remind you at every stop that it is a smooth operating Lexus?

Quick Reply: 2005 GX470's - Are you experiencing any vibration issues?