GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2005 GX470's - Are you experiencing any vibration issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-05, 06:26 AM
Squiggy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had the clunk...

on my 2003. Started to become more apparent when I got to 20,000 miles.
Not sure we are talking about the same thing, but while stopped, you would feel
the drivetain jump, sometimes it might feel like you got bumped from behind,
but mostly it felt like you had just gone from park to gear.

At first it was just every now and then, but later it seemed to be every time
you stopped.

Finally called my service adviser and he knew right away what it was and
how to fix it. They swapped the driveshaft in a few hours, and so far so good.
Old 01-26-05, 10:28 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

Default Thanks for the list wogey!

From the list I have experienced the thunk, inaccurate temp. display, and the loose driver's seat. The thunk is very intermittent and something Land Rover owners would call "character". I think the height control electronics gets confused at stoplights I am a car fanatic, but didn't think it worth the effort ,and having the truck out of commission, to resolve it. The seat was fixed and the my dealer still has their collective head up their bum regarding the temp guage (e.g., SA, "how do you know its inaccurate?", my reply "because my Suby's temp guage says 78 degrees, the GX's says 54 degrees, and I'm wearing shorts and sandals.").

Martin
Old 01-26-05, 12:36 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bgsntth
From the list I have experienced the thunk, inaccurate temp. display, and the loose driver's seat. The thunk is very intermittent and something Land Rover owners would call "character". I think the height control electronics gets confused at stoplights I am a car fanatic, but didn't think it worth the effort ,and having the truck out of commission, to resolve it. The seat was fixed and the my dealer still has their collective head up their bum regarding the temp guage (e.g., SA, "how do you know its inaccurate?", my reply "because my Suby's temp guage says 78 degrees, the GX's says 54 degrees, and I'm wearing shorts and sandals.").

Martin
There is a TSB for the outside temperature gauge fix. It will require the replacement of the multi function trip computer. I had the replacement done since the new part was supposed to fix the high reading miles per gallon calculation. Well, the temperature gauge is more accurate now but the mileage still reads 2 MPG high.
Old 01-26-05, 01:50 PM
et415
Rookie

Originally Posted by gs400jon
Well, the temperature gauge is more accurate now but the mileage still reads 2 MPG high.
Is that the average or the instantaneous MPG? How can you tell it's exactly 2mpg high?
Old 01-26-05, 02:16 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Originally Posted by et415
Is that the average or the instantaneous MPG? How can you tell it's exactly 2mpg high?
Average MPG. I do the hand calculation. Divide Trip A mileage by the number of gallons required to fill the tank. I always reset the Trip A mileage and the average MPG reading at every fillup.
Old 01-26-05, 07:28 PM
rjfiore1
Driver

Default average gas mileage

Just wondering what you get for mixed mileage? I think I get around 15 according to fill-ups and my math...
Old 01-26-05, 07:40 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Originally Posted by rjfiore1
Just wondering what you get for mixed mileage? I think I get around 15 according to fill-ups and my math...
Yup, a week of normal, mixed driving gets 15 MPG.
Old 01-26-05, 10:00 PM
et415
Rookie

I've had 2.5 gas fill-ups so far with my new GX. Fill up 1: 11.4 mpg (almost exclusively city driving); Fill up 2: (no data--was traveling out of town); Fill up 2.5: 14.3 mpg (mixed driving). I've been gentle on the gas pedal during my initial 1000 mile break-in, so I'm surprised my mileage hasn't been better.
Old 01-26-05, 10:22 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Originally Posted by et415
I've had 2.5 gas fill-ups so far with my new GX. Fill up 1: 11.4 mpg (almost exclusively city driving); Fill up 2: (no data--was traveling out of town); Fill up 2.5: 14.3 mpg (mixed driving). I've been gentle on the gas pedal during my initial 1000 mile break-in, so I'm surprised my mileage hasn't been better.
Your mileage will improve once you get more miles on the engine.
Old 01-27-05, 10:51 AM
rjfiore1
Driver

I agree. You definitely need to break in your engine. You may not really determine the mileage for maybe 5-10k miles or so? I have 4500 miles on mine and get appx 15 w/ mixed driving. I do hope it gets a bit better! Maybe not though.
Old 02-05-05, 04:59 PM
davidc1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't seem to have the "clunk" problem, yet. But I am sensing some vibration on the steering wheel around 60 mph. Any ideas/fixes besides the tire rebalancing? I got Michellins on mine. Also let me know if you think "some" vibration is normal. I'll live with it if it is indeed "normal."
Old 02-05-05, 09:59 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Originally Posted by davidc1
I don't seem to have the "clunk" problem, yet. But I am sensing some vibration on the steering wheel around 60 mph. Any ideas/fixes besides the tire rebalancing? I got Michellins on mine. Also let me know if you think "some" vibration is normal. I'll live with it if it is indeed "normal."
I also have the Michelins and there is no vibration up to 80 MPH with thumb and index finger of each hand lightly holding the wood part of the steering wheel. I have never driven the truck over 80 MPH.
Old 02-05-05, 11:23 PM
metropol
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Originally Posted by davidc1
First, I don't consider 'vibration' to be normal. I also felt vibration at around 60MPH, -- it usually felt 1900-2100 RPM. It was fairly brief ( I don't keep that speed for too long) but definitely there. I had cheap DUELER (sp?!) - I think Bridgestones, but I doubt it was the tires, more like a harmonic in drivetrain. It didn't bother me as much as the 'thump', AC not working when hot or climate control not keeping proper temperature..
If it bothers you, its a problem, let lexus know, let them fix it.
Old 02-06-05, 09:43 AM
TimsGX
Driver School Candidate

Default Tires were cause of my vibration issue

I have Michelin Cross Terrains on my GX. I had the vibration issue between 60-70 mph. They tried balancing the tires while they were still on the vehicle - this got rid of some of the problem but not all. My service tech then rembered an issue where they sold a GX that had flat spots on the tires due to hot weather and sitting on the lot. They increased my tire pressure to 38 psi and told me drive it like that for about 200 miles. I noticed the issue went away at once and it has never returned. Hope this helps someone!!
Old 02-09-05, 06:29 PM
davidc1
Rookie

Originally Posted by metropol
First, I don't consider 'vibration' to be normal. I also felt vibration at around 60MPH, -- it usually felt 1900-2100 RPM. It was fairly brief ( I don't keep that speed for too long) but definitely there. I had cheap DUELER (sp?!) - I think Bridgestones, but I doubt it was the tires, more like a harmonic in drivetrain. It didn't bother me as much as the 'thump', AC not working when hot or climate control not keeping proper temperature..
If it bothers you, its a problem, let lexus know, let them fix it.
So.. was your problem fixed? I don't always feel it so it's not easy to pinpoint. Are you living with it?

Quick Reply: 2005 GX470's - Are you experiencing any vibration issues?